Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Buying light fixtures. Confused about finishes

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 11:33 pm
I’m buying several new fixtures for the first floor of my house. There’s the entryway light, two hallway fixtures and the dinette are light. We have spots in the kitchen area. We have a very open plan but the fixtures are not all parallel besides for the two hallway lights. They’re also not all visible at the same time. Do they all need to be the same finish? Do they need to match my gold doorknobs? Black and white floor? I’m really stuck when it comes to design rules.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 17 2022, 2:36 pm
Bump

amother
Apple

Post Mon, Jan 17 2022, 2:41 pm
I would say they should be the same style and in the same family of finishes.

So everything should be all modern/farmhouse/traditional or whatever. With some room for variation.

And then within that style, you should choose either warmer metal finishes or cooler ones. In other words, have everything bronze/antique gold type or silver/nickel finishes.

amother
Lemonlime

Post Mon, Jan 17 2022, 2:44 pm
It's personal preference. You will be walking under those fixtures on a daily basis, you want it to be something you like looking at. Also from a practical point of view get something that doesn't have 25 tiny bulbs that pop on a weekly basis and cost a fortune to replace (the previous owners of our home had dubious sense when it came to their light fixtures).
I would ensure the hallway lights are the same. The others don't have to be matching, but it might look odd if you have a classic traditional chandelier in the hallways and ultramodern in the dining room.

amother
Apple

Post Mon, Jan 17 2022, 2:45 pm
To add - if you have gold doorknobs I would tend to match that, but it's not absolutely necessary. You also don't have to stick to the same shade and finish of gold, it's nicer when there is some variation.

What style is your house?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 17 2022, 10:03 pm
amother [ Apple ] wrote:
To add - if you have gold doorknobs I would tend to match that, but it's not absolutely necessary. You also don't have to stick to the same shade and finish of gold, it's nicer when there is some variation.

What style is your house?

A mix of traditional with transitional. The kitchen might be considered a bit modern.

amother
Tangerine

Post Mon, Jan 17 2022, 10:36 pm
mixed metal is very in right now.
https://www.bhg.com/decorating.....tals/
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating