Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Backsplash same as countertops, tiles or stelse

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 17 2022, 9:50 am
Hi
I’m remodeling my kitchen and I’m deciding between tiled backsplash or something else

Do you have the same material countertops and backsplash? Are you happy with it? Pros and cons, please.

Are you happy with your tile backsplash?

Do you have something else? Formica, glass/mirror?

Amarante

Post Mon, Jan 17 2022, 10:26 am
I am extremely happy with my tile backsplash.

There are so many gorgeous tiles that choosing just one is the hardest part.

There are people who run the same solid surface of the counters up the walls but I don't like the way that looks - but that is just a matter of personal taste as many people love it. FWIW it is not advisable to run quartz behind the wall of your stove because it can be damaged from the heat.

Two things to keep in mind

Pick out your counter first as well as everything else because finding a beautiful tile that goes is easy when everything else has chosen because there are so many tile choices. Also the backsplash is generally the last thing to do anyway.

Do NOT use tile if you have that short backsplash that matches the counter - you either have a full backsplash or just the short piece but not both. FWIW the short backsplash is a dated look and most people opt for a full backsplash.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 17 2022, 10:59 am
Thank you for your reply

I’m with you I like tile.

I’m just wondering why the trend is to bring the counter top Material up. Is it easier to clean?

You also point out that quartz will get ruined behind the stove, I didn’t know that-thank you

essie14

Post Mon, Jan 17 2022, 11:03 am
I have subway tiles for my backsplash but I very much like the trend of bringing up the counter all the way.
I've also seen wallpaper with glass on top instead of an actual backsplash.

Amarante

Post Mon, Jan 17 2022, 11:05 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thank you for your reply

I’m with you I like tile.

I’m just wondering why the trend is to bring the counter top Material up. Is it easier to clean?

You also point out that quartz will get ruined behind the stove, I didn’t know that-thank you

Quartz is a manmade material and is essentially plastic so you need to be careful in terms of heat as it can "burn" if you put a hot pot directly on it. Not that you should put a hot pot on granite or marble or porcelain because they can all crack from thermal shock but quartz can "burn". I don't have quartz but I believe it also can't be kashered because of this.

Running the counter up to the wall is in my opinion a style choice. I admire some kitchens that have marble counters and marble running up the wall but that wasn't my personal choice when I designed my new kitchen. Some people feel grout is harder to maintain but I haven't had issues with my backsplash.

There are so many astoundingly beautiful tiles available

amother
NeonBlue

Post Mon, Jan 17 2022, 11:23 am
I did my kitchen a bit over a year ago and installed high-end quartz countertops that continue up the wall. Super easy to keep clean and I love the minimalist look.

amother
Jetblack

Post Mon, Jan 17 2022, 11:35 am
I have a dark color countertop and it would be really dark in my kitchen if I had carried on the countertop. I did a light colored backsplash which matches the cupboards and it looks really nice and bright in the kitchen.

cbg

Post Mon, Jan 17 2022, 12:42 pm
I have Grey granite and did the same for my backsplash
I love it
Easy to clean
And much more elegant than tile
Tile is more trendy though

tweety1

Post Mon, Jan 17 2022, 3:50 pm
My backslash is the same as my counters. It's gives a neat and sleek look when they're both the same. It's sort of flows nicely.
You have to make a decision. I chose a counter that is a little cheaper and loved less because I only wanted to do both the same. Versus taking a counter that I went crazy over and was significantly more expensive and doing a tiled backslash. I was on a budget. And I absolutely love the look of both the same. Don't get me wrong, I love my counters. But the other one I was considering was gorgeous gorgeous gorgeous. For me this was worth it and I don't regret it for a second. I would do it again this way if I ever have to redo my counters for whatever reason.

amother
Currant

Post Mon, Jan 17 2022, 3:55 pm
I have a glass textured tile in a sea blue color and I love it. I’m not especially careful but it looks clean and perfect five years in.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 17 2022, 5:13 pm
Thank you all for your insight, I really appreciate all that you are sharing.

I describe my kitchen style as messy. Ingredients all over the place, pots bubbling over, batter splattered all over.

On one hand no grout sounds easier to clean. On the other hand tiles may hold up better to hot oil

What do you recommend?

tweety1

Post Mon, Jan 17 2022, 7:47 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

I describe my kitchen style as messy. Ingredients all over the place, pots bubbling over, batter splattered all over.

On one hand no grout sounds easier to clean. On the other hand tiles may hold up better to hot oil

What do you recommend?

Happens to be I'm a messy cook too as in everrything splashes all over the place. I do put away ingredients and wash my dishes as I go along. I didn't even know I have to take it into consideration when doing my backslash. That being said, the no grout is the best thing. It's clean in less than 10 seconds.

SuperWify

Post Tue, Jan 18 2022, 3:44 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

What do you recommend?

No grout is so much easier to clean and a much neater look.

I have a mirrored back (Not the same material as the countertops) and it holds up well.

amother
Jean

Post Tue, Jan 18 2022, 7:22 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

What do you recommend?

I just picked out my backsplash. Im using big rectangle tiles. Way less grout this way.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen