Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Probiotic coleslaw?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 17 2022, 2:41 pm
Is it true that coleslaw contains probiotics? If so, is there a special way to make it? Thanks!

amother
NeonPink

Post Mon, Jan 17 2022, 2:42 pm
Do you mean sauerkraut? It needs to be fermented properly.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 17 2022, 3:01 pm
I'm pretty sure it's coleslaw that I'm thinking of. Doesn't sauerkraut have more of a pickled taste?

amother
NeonPink

Post Mon, Jan 17 2022, 3:07 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I'm pretty sure it's coleslaw that I'm thinking of. Doesn't sauerkraut have more of a pickled taste?
Coleslaw is made with vinegar, vinegar kills bacteria. Sauerkraut is pickled in brine, which kills pathogenic bacteria and allows beneficial bacteria to flourish.

Amarante

Post Mon, Jan 17 2022, 3:13 pm
Sauerkraut is extremely pickled taste - it is good but not a substitute for coleslaw.

You can make a somewhat probiotic coleslaw by using yogurt instead of mayonnaise. I used to do that for health reasons and it can be quite good. However coleslaw can be extremely healthy especially if you make the dressing with a lighter healthier style dressing.

However if you are interested in probiotics for health there are better ways of getting it as the amount of the probiotic you would be getting in each serving would be minimal. I have a cup of yogurt with "live" culture for breakfast with fruit for example.

This is my favorite coleslaw recipe and is a favorite whenever I serve - even among people. who aren't particularly health conscious. I use bagged coleslaw mix to save time but prepping Napa cabbage isn't difficult either. I make a bit more dressing but not so it is drenched and chop the raisins so they are smaller. The honey roasted peanuts are so delicious.

Fusion Coleslaw

From “The Earthbound Farm Organic Cookbook: Food To Live By” by Myra Goodman with Linda Holland and Pamela McKinstry

Serves 4 to 6

3 cups shredded red cabbage
3 cups shredded Napa cabbage
2 large carrots, coarsely grated
3 small green onions, thinly sliced
2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
3 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon unseasoned rice vinegar
2 ½ teaspoons sugar
¾ teaspoon sambal oelek - I use sriracha but any hot sauce would work
1 tablespoon peeled and finely grated ginger
¼ teaspoon salt, or to taste
½ cup honey-roasted peanuts, coarsely chopped
½ cup raisins
2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds

1. Place red cabbage, Napa cabbage, carrots and green onions in a large bowl.

2. Combine sesame oil, vegetable oil, vinegar, sugar, sambal oelek, ginger and salt in a small bowl; whisk to combine. Taste for seasoning, adding more sambal oelek and salt to taste.

3. Pour dressing over the vegetables and toss to combine. Add peanuts and raisins and toss again. Refrigerate, covered, to allow flavors to develop, 2 to 4 hours. Stir in sesame seeds just before serving, and serve chilled.

Times Kitchen Note: There are many hot chile pepper pastes used as table condiments in China and Southeast Asia; sambal oelek is the most common and most popular. Containing chiles, salt, vinegar and sometimes garlic and tamarind, the fiery paste gives food a powerful flavor boost.

Data per 1 of 6 servings

Calories 188

Protein 3.73g

Fat 11.83g

Carbohydrates 3.66g

Sodium 188mg

Saturated fat 1.60g

Monounsaturated fat 2.92g

Polyunsaturated fat 3.95g

Cholesterol 0mg

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 18 2022, 1:48 pm
amother [ NeonPink ] wrote:
Coleslaw is made with vinegar, vinegar kills bacteria. Sauerkraut is pickled in brine, which kills pathogenic bacteria and allows beneficial bacteria to flourish.

How about if I use apple cider vinegar instead of vinegar? Or would the vinegar in the mayonnaise counteract that? Thanks so much!

amother
NeonPink

Post Tue, Jan 18 2022, 2:22 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
How about if I use apple cider vinegar instead of vinegar? Or would the vinegar in the mayonnaise counteract that? Thanks so much!
Apple cider vinegar contains some live cultures but I’m not sure it’s considered a probiotic food the way kimchi, kombucha, sauerkraut and yogurt is. You would be getting the probiotics and other health benefits that are in the apple cider vinegar (if your vinegar is raw) but I don’t know if the salad itself could be consider a probiotic food. The cabbage will still not be fermented.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 18 2022, 2:24 pm
But wouldn't the apple cider vinegar "ferment" the coleslaw?

Amarante

Post Tue, Jan 18 2022, 2:25 pm
Cole slaw is not going to be a significant source of probiotics. It is healthy for other reasons although the ones with mayonnaise like deli style ones are not particularly healthy and there are better foods to eat if you are health conscious.

If you are concerned about incorporating enough in your diet, start eating foods which contain significant amounts in a *normal* serving like yogurt with live yogurt cultures.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Jan 18 2022, 2:26 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

The fermentation process gives it a pickled taste.
Regular cole slaw doesn't have probiotics.

Amarante

Post Tue, Jan 18 2022, 2:34 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Fermentation occurs over a long period of time with special conditions to prevent it from spoiling - it is like making pickles.

Even with vinegar you don't have enough of it AND you don't keep it long enough to "ferment". Before it ferments it would spoil and be dangerous to eat.

amother
NeonPink

Post Tue, Jan 18 2022, 2:37 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Preserving something with vinegar is not the same process chemically as lacto-fermenting.

Asking this out of curiosity, but why don’t you just make sauerkraut? Or, what’s your goal here with the cole slaw? Curious what the issue is.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 18 2022, 2:47 pm
I'm just a picky eater who happens to like coleslaw, not sauerkraut. I'm looking to get more probiotics into my system now that I'm on a strong dose of medication. I'm sort of okay with yogurt but the one with live cultures is a fortune and I can't eat it with meat.

amother
NeonPink

Post Tue, Jan 18 2022, 2:49 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I'm just a picky eater who happens to like coleslaw, not sauerkraut. I'm looking to get more probiotics into my system now that I'm on a strong dose of medication. I'm sort of okay with yogurt but the one with live cultures is a fortune and I can't eat it with meat.
Can you mix some fermented sauerkraut into your coleslaw? Can you ferment pickles and eat it with meat? What about drinking fermented beet juice? Or kombucha?

Amarante

Post Tue, Jan 18 2022, 2:57 pm
Make your own yogurt if cost is an issue. Yogurt is incredibly easy to make and all you need is milk and starter which can be yogurt with live culture.

Have yogurt for breakfast because that is typically a meal where people do dairy exclusively. Yogurt plus fruit pus a slice of whole wheat toast - or an egg is a whole complete CHEAP breakfast.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 18 2022, 3:01 pm
Amarante wrote:
Make your own yogurt if cost is an issue. Yogurt is incredibly easy to make and all you need is milk and starter which can be yogurt with live culture.

Have yogurt for breakfast because that is typically a meal where people do dairy exclusively. Yogurt plus fruit pus a slice of whole wheat toast - or an egg is a whole complete CHEAP breakfast.

I like that idea, thanks:)

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 18 2022, 3:03 pm
amother [ NeonPink ] wrote:
Can you mix some fermented sauerkraut into your coleslaw? Can you ferment pickles and eat it with meat? What about drinking fermented beet juice? Or kombucha?

How do I ferment pickles? How many would I need to get a decent amount of probiotics? I'm not a huge pickle fan, but I can eat a bit of it in a salad. Thanks!

Amarante

Post Tue, Jan 18 2022, 4:11 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
How do I ferment pickles? How many would I need to get a decent amount of probiotics? I'm not a huge pickle fan, but I can eat a bit of it in a salad. Thanks!

Making pickles is a big process - it's like canning to some extent. Google pickle making and follow the recipes. My uncle once made pickles because he wanted to see what it was like just like some people make beer because they are curious about the process. Most people BUY beer or pickles or sauerkraut from the store although many Korean women make kimchee because it is more of a "family" recipe kind of thing.

Just buy pickles or sauerkraut - you would have to eat a significant amount of pickles to achieve any kind of meaningful amount of probiotics. A little bit in a salad isn't a meaningful amount.

amother
Emerald

Post Tue, Jan 18 2022, 4:17 pm
Can’t you just take probiotic supplement and eat what you want?

amother
NeonPink

Post Tue, Jan 18 2022, 4:20 pm
Amarante wrote:
Making pickles is a big process - it's like canning to some extent. Google pickle making and follow the recipes. My uncle once made pickles because he wanted to see what it was like just like some people make beer because they are curious about the process. Most people BUY beer or pickles or sauerkraut from the store although many Korean women make kimchee because it is more of a "family" recipe kind of thing.

Just buy pickles or sauerkraut - you would have to eat a significant amount of pickles to achieve any kind of meaningful amount of probiotics. A little bit in a salad isn't a meaningful amount.
I disagree. Making pickles is the easiest thing. Cucumbers, water, sea salt, a jar, and wait. I use the picklit jar with an airlock but you don’t have to.

About how much probiotic you’re actually going to get from eating that, is up for debate. But I’m not so sure commercial yogurts are better in that respect. And at least cucumbers have prebiotics for staying power. Either way, the more the better, and the more variety the better too.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics