Home

This list makes me sad
1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen


View latest: 24h 48h 72h


momof2+?




 
 
 
 

Post Mon, Jan 17 2022, 12:06 pm
Why did Hashem make so many delicious fruits that we can’t eat due to bugs?
https://www.thelakewoodscoop.c......html
Back to top

BrisketBoss




 
 
 
 

Post Mon, Jan 17 2022, 12:08 pm
He didn't tell us we couldn't eat them. It's like the old joke--You know what, Moses? Do what you want.
Back to top

sequoia




 
 
 
 

Post Mon, Jan 17 2022, 12:09 pm
Nobody cared about bugs 100 years ago.
Back to top

amother




Darkblue
 

Post Mon, Jan 17 2022, 12:10 pm
Most of them it says you can eat. Focus on the positive and also how many more fruits there are that we can eat without any issues.
And I feel even better knowing that because I live in a cold climate we never have as much issue with infestation as the hot climates do.
Back to top

momof2+?




 
 
 
 

Post Mon, Jan 17 2022, 12:12 pm
BrisketBoss wrote:
He didn't tell us we couldn't eat them. It's like the old joke--You know what, Moses? Do what you want.


I don’t know that joke 🤷🏻‍♀️
And this Kashrus Counsil is telling us that we can’t eat anything infested.

Like this post if you peel your strawberries.
I just don’t buy them.
Back to top

iyar




 
 
 
 

Post Mon, Jan 17 2022, 12:15 pm
You can eat almost all the fruits on that list, it just tells you how to make sure they don't have bugs. There were only a couple that shouldn't be used at all. As for why Hashem made them- I have no idea. There's a purpose and place for everything in this world but I don't always know what that is. There are hordes of animals and insects that are necessary for the survival of our ecosystem but we're not allowed to eat them and some of them actually gross me out. Those were obviously not created for my satisfaction or enjoyment. Nothing sad about that. They might be bringing satisfaction or enjoyment to some other organism.
Back to top

amother




Geranium
 

Post Mon, Jan 17 2022, 12:21 pm
Chocolate and ice cream isn’t on the list!!!


Also not everyone follows this. I don’t. But I don’t like fruit
Back to top

amother




Tulip
 

Post Mon, Jan 17 2022, 12:49 pm
sequoia wrote:
Nobody cared about bugs 100 years ago.


That's not true. I have a book about Jewish life in Germany in the early 1900s. The author (born in 1900) talks about his childhood growing up in Southern Germany. In one part he talks about how certain varieties of fruits were not eaten because of bug infestation levels and that it was a kashrus issue.
Back to top

allthingsblue




 
 
 
 

Post Mon, Jan 17 2022, 12:53 pm
I follow the CRC list which is more lenient than the one you linked.
Back to top

amother




PlumPink
 

Post Mon, Jan 17 2022, 1:05 pm
I saw Rabbi Vaye write in 5he name of I think the Chasam Sofer that we’re meant to eat them when Moshiach comes.
Back to top

amother




Stone
 

Post Mon, Jan 17 2022, 1:06 pm
momof2+? wrote:
Why did Hashem make so many delicious fruits that we can’t eat due to bugs?
https://www.thelakewoodscoop.c......html


To give you s’charwhen you comply with His Torah
Back to top

amother




Daffodil
 

Post Mon, Jan 17 2022, 1:08 pm
sequoia wrote:
Nobody cared about bugs 100 years ago.

I’m not sure where you got that idea from, but eating a bug has many serious aveiras. These are listed in seforim written thousands of years ago. And the Torah given to us by Hashem.
Back to top

amother




Melon
 

Post Mon, Jan 17 2022, 1:15 pm
amother [ Tulip ] wrote:
That's not true. I have a book about Jewish life in Germany in the early 1900s. The author (born in 1900) talks about his childhood growing up in Southern Germany. In one part he talks about how certain varieties of fruits were not eaten because of bug infestation levels and that it was a kashrus issue.


They didnt have microscopes and special lights though. I question their use because halacha says we can't eat bugs that we see with the naked eye. The question I have is that if we can only see the bugs with special tools, how does the halacha apply?.
Back to top

torquoise




 
 
 
 

Post Mon, Jan 17 2022, 1:16 pm
I didn't see the whole list, but the CRC and Star-K might give more lenient guidelines.

I also get sad when a new fruit gets added to the list, like blueberries this past summer. Now they need to be checked for scale Sad
I think I read somewhere that the nature in the world reacts to the bad deeds of the people who are living in that generation. For example, in dor hamabul, the animals started mating outside of their species. Today, we see animals mating in homos-ual ways.
Maybe that applies to the plants and fruits too. They are not pristine and bug-free anymore, because the people today are not pure and righteous.
Back to top

amother




Smokey
 

Post Mon, Jan 17 2022, 1:18 pm
momof2+? wrote:
Why did Hashem make so many delicious fruits that we can’t eat due to bugs?
https://www.thelakewoodscoop.c......html
Pesticide and fungicide overuse is disrupting the ecology of soil and plants.
Back to top

Geulanow




 
 
 
 

Post Mon, Jan 17 2022, 2:00 pm
sequoia wrote:
Nobody cared about bugs 100 years ago.

They weren't careful with a lot of things, including meat. They also had DDT.
Back to top

amother




Vermilion
 

Post Mon, Jan 17 2022, 2:18 pm
amother [ Melon ] wrote:
They didnt have microscopes and special lights though. I question their use because halacha says we can't eat bugs that we see with the naked eye. The question I have is that if we can only see the bugs with special tools, how does the halacha apply?.


I find bugs in nuts all the time. Same for on pineapple. There are bugs all over so many fruits. I stopped eating grapes completely because they are too hard to clean.
Back to top

nicole81




 
 
 
 

Post Mon, Jan 17 2022, 2:21 pm
I don't follow the new square kashrus council. The star k is good enough for me.
Back to top

amother




DarkOrange
 

Post Mon, Jan 17 2022, 2:42 pm
They lost me when they said that you can only eat fruit from EY with a reliable hecsher because of trumot and maasrot…. You know that you can take them yourselves, right? With a little learning and a little practice, it is not that hard.
Back to top

amother




Gray
 

Post Mon, Jan 17 2022, 3:03 pm
amother [ DarkOrange ] wrote:
They lost me when they said that you can only eat fruit from EY with a reliable hecsher because of trumot and maasrot…. You know that you can take them yourselves, right? With a little learning and a little practice, it is not that hard.


Yes, but as an average American (who even lived in EY for a few years) I would have no idea what to do.
Back to top
1, 2  Next Recent Topics

Page 1 of 2 View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen

Related Topics Replies Last Post
Son is so sad about glasses
by amother
9 Yesterday at 7:09 pm View last post
by evi
Bais Yaakov High school makes reunions, not BY of BP element
by amother
7 Fri, May 20 2022, 8:29 am View last post
Anyone else? Hearing Lag Ba’omer songs makes me 😭
by amother
14 Thu, May 19 2022, 11:13 am View last post
My rant list
by gr82no
20 Sat, May 14 2022, 10:17 pm View last post
What makes u stare at ppl?
by amother
3 Wed, May 11 2022, 6:15 pm View last post