Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Mold on Gasket of Washer

chili-n-cholent

Post Tue, Jan 18 2022, 1:13 pm
My whirlpool washer has really bad mold inside the gasket, like black stuff that no matter what I do and scrub it's not coming off.
The machine started smelling pretty bad as well.
I cleaned the machine with those cleaning pods and tried wiping it out too.
I try to keep the door open but am not so good about it as I live in such tight quarters and the door touches my kitchen table when open...
Any suggestions please?

LittleDucky

Post Tue, Jan 18 2022, 2:12 pm
Unfortunately at a certain point there is nothing to do besides replace the part.
However, when I got my last machine I made some major changes and BH they are working.
Use "washer magic"- rub on gasket (and all crevices!) and also run through on empty washer according to directions. I do it monthly and it helps.
I keep it always open as long as not currently washing.
Good luck!

zaq

Post Tue, Jan 18 2022, 3:12 pm
Google it. There are dozens of sites that give step-by-step instructions.
in future, prop something small in the machine opening--it can be a small towel or a couple of shmattehs--to keep the door from closing all the way when not in use. My machine is also in my kitchen and, while the door doesn't actually touch the table, it comes close. I swing it open when nobody is in the room and close it on a small towel the rest of the time. The only time I close it all the way, aside from when it's running, is when grandchildren visit, when it's closed for safety reasons.

Once the gasket is stained by mold, the stain may be impossible to remove even if you kill the mold. The gasket can be replaced if the stain bothers you. Either way, follow this protocol, EVERY.SINGLE.TIME you use your washer:

Empty laundry.
Remove detergent/bleach/softener drawer and let drip dry (easier) or wipe dry (faster).
Dry off gasket: Really get in there between the pleats and dry the entire 360 degrees around. The easy way: Take some pieces of old cotton cloth like a worn-out T-shirt or two and stuff into ALL the pleats all the way around. leave a few minutes, then remove. The cotton--don't use permanent press--will absorb the excess water.
Dry off inside of door if it hasn't air-dried by this point.

You "should" wipe off the inside of the drum but so far my machine is Ok without doing this. Given that you DO have a mold problem, though, it may be wise for you to add this step.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry