Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Aliyah with a cat?
1  2  Next

Kiwi13

Post Tue, Jan 18 2022, 6:30 pm
So far I know I need to get him microchipped and then another rabies shot AFTER the microchip, and then a clean bill of health vet appointment before the flight.

But now that they’re not putting animals in the pet cargo area because of COVID (I thought pets don’t spread it, so ummm…?) I would need a pet ticket for him to basically be a carry-on item under my seat… am I understanding that correctly?

How much does that cost on a domestic flight these days, and what about the Aliyah flight? Seems like the ones with info at NBN are down for the count right now, so if anyone here knows anything please chime in.

Am I going to regret trying to make Aliyah with my cat? How much harder am I making this on myself by trying to bring him? And how much more expensive??

Kiwi13

Post Tue, Jan 18 2022, 7:59 pm
Bump?

DrMom

Post Tue, Jan 18 2022, 8:14 pm
I hope someone can help with your questions.

I know this probably sounds impersonal, but if you have someone in your home country who can adopt your cat, you can easily find a stray cat to adopt once you make aliyah.

Of course, you probably want to to be with this particular cat...

Kiwi13

Post Tue, Jan 18 2022, 8:29 pm
DrMom wrote:
I hope someone can help with your questions.

I know this probably sounds impersonal, but if you have someone in your home country who can adopt your cat, you can easily find a stray cat to adopt once you make aliyah.

Of course, you probably want to to be with this particular cat...

Yeah. I want MY cat…

amother
Narcissus

Post Tue, Jan 18 2022, 8:30 pm
Someone that is a pet owner will have a hard time to give away a pet. They are part of your house. I know many will smirk at these words but thats how it is. Please let that not be an option.

amother
Narcissus

Post Tue, Jan 18 2022, 8:51 pm
Kiwi 13, Mazel Tov on your Aliyah! Where are you moving to? I saw a while back you posted about Afula Illit. It should be a Yishuv Tov!

Kiwi13

Post Tue, Jan 18 2022, 8:59 pm
Thanks! Yes, we (and hopefully Buddy the cat) are moving to Afula Illit. 🥰

amother
Slateblue

Post Tue, Jan 18 2022, 9:57 pm
Kiwi13 wrote:
So far I know I need to get him microchipped and then another rabies shot AFTER the microchip, and then a clean bill of health vet appointment before the flight.

But now that they’re not putting animals in the pet cargo area because of COVID (I thought pets don’t spread it, so ummm…?) I would need a pet ticket for him to basically be a carry-on item under my seat… am I understanding that correctly?

How much does that cost on a domestic flight these days, and what about the Aliyah flight? Seems like the ones with info at NBN are down for the count right now, so if anyone here knows anything please chime in.

Am I going to regret trying to make Aliyah with my cat? How much harder am I making this on myself by trying to bring him? And how much more expensive??

I don’t understand. Don’t you love him? How are you even considering not taking him? Just do what you gotta do and take him,

WhatFor

Post Tue, Jan 18 2022, 10:22 pm
amother [ Slateblue ] wrote:
I don’t understand. Don’t you love him? How are you even considering not taking him? Just do what you gotta do and take him,

? Op is literally seeking information about how to do this. "Do what you gotta do and take him" is useless when op shows up at the airport with a cat that hasn't been set up to fly. You think an airline is going to care that amother slateblue said "just do what you gotta do"?

DrMom

Post Tue, Jan 18 2022, 10:30 pm
amother [ Narcissus ] wrote:
Someone that is a pet owner will have a hard time to give away a pet. They are part of your house. I know many will smirk at these words but thats how it is. Please let that not be an option.

I wasn't smirking. I understand the concept of pets. Smile

I was just offering an alternative if it doesn't work out and Kiwi13 really liked cats in general (not just her cat).

Reality

Post Tue, Jan 18 2022, 10:36 pm
I don't have any pets but I'm on chats with people who do.

It is definitely a lot of extra work and money to take a pet. You need to speak to your NbN advisor and/or join an aliyah chat. PM me if you want to join. Some are really active and the people are really nice and helpful.

twizzlers1

Post Tue, Jan 18 2022, 10:58 pm
Please keep us informed when you figure out everything. My dad really wants to move here and has a cat and he for sure would bring her. I did not realize it was so complicated. I'm sorry I don't have any advice just hope that you can bring your cat easily and that everything is easy!

BadTichelDay

Post Tue, Jan 18 2022, 11:31 pm
Maybe check out this website, it seems you need some more paperwork (?)
https://www.pettravel.com/immi.....l.cfm
And as someone posted above, try NBN for more information about "importing" pets...

Anyway, congrats on the advancement of your Aliyah plans.

LovesHashem

Post Tue, Jan 18 2022, 11:33 pm
Its definitely possible to move with a pet - I know many who have done it. It's a bit complicated and needs a lot of paperwork and stuff but for sure possible.

essie14

Post Tue, Jan 18 2022, 11:35 pm
https://www.nbn.org.il/making-.....pets/

BadTichelDay

Post Tue, Jan 18 2022, 11:40 pm
Here's the official Israeli government website on importing pets. This subsection is in Hebrew only as far as I can see, but you could try to open the website with google translate if needed.

https://www.gov.il/he/service/....._dogs

Elfrida

Post Wed, Jan 19 2022, 1:08 am
No advice about the technicalities of bringing a cat, but I would advise speaking to your vet about the best way to help the cat adapt to what is probably a very different climate.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Jan 19 2022, 4:51 am
It was expensive and nerve wracking, but worth it. You will be paying for services every step of the way, several hundred dollars for each test.

Make sure you get the INTERNATIONAL microchip, not the regional one. It costs more, but it's the only one that the Interior of Agriculture will accept.

If your cat has not had a rabies shot in the past 12 months, then get one. You will have to wait a week or so, and then have blood drawn to check titre levels. The blood has to be sent to Kansas, because there is only one rabies titre lab in the entire US. This will take several more weeks. If the test comes back and says "no antibodies", then the rabies vaccine didn't "take". It's rare, but it can happen. Then you have to revaccinate, get the tests run again, etc. until you get a positive antibody test.

When you finally have all of your paperwork together, you have to go in person to your state capital, and get an apostille attached to the forms, with permission to export a domestic animal. Your vet can walk you through this process.

I made Aliyah with my two elderly Chihuahuas. They were rescues, they had special needs, and nobody would ever take care of them the way I did. They had to come along, no doubt about it. My friends all told me that I was crazy, and that I should just put them down because they were so old.

Due to titre problems, one of my dogs didn't get all of her paperwork signed and sealed until literally the DAY before the plane was scheduled to leave. It was so, so stressful! Still, I was happy that I could make their final years comfortable, pain free, and full of love.

(BTW, it turns out that cats and dogs can get Covid 19 from humans. I'm not sure if they can give it back to humans, though.)

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Jan 19 2022, 4:59 am
Elfrida wrote:
No advice about the technicalities of bringing a cat, but I would advise speaking to your vet about the best way to help the cat adapt to what is probably a very different climate.

I haven't seen Feliway plug-ins for sale here in Israel, so you might want to stock up on it before you move.

Something that a lot of people don't take into consideration, is how your pet will help YOU adapt to the new situation. There is the emotional support that helps keep you grounded, when everything else feels like a total balagan. Pets are therapy that's on call 24/7. Smile

singleagain

Post Wed, Jan 19 2022, 5:02 am
I don't know specifically, but I'm sure there's a Facebook group for this.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions