Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries
S/o What does Lakewood HAVE
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 18 2022, 9:38 pm
Ok this is a spinoff.
That thread is starting to feel like poor taste with all the kvetching about what Lakewood doesn't have or is doing wrong.
I'm not saying it's perfect or anything, but there are some pretty wonderful things about Lakewood despite the traffic and shortages
So what do you like about Lakewood. (Besides the big houses and pools)

Cmon be nice

Post Tue, Jan 18 2022, 9:39 pm
The chesed. Last year before pesach tomchei shabos sent an email blast that no one should hesitate to ask for help if needed.
Just one example

amother
Quince

Post Tue, Jan 18 2022, 9:55 pm
Beginning of covid at pesach there were food and kitchen boxes

amother
Watermelon

Post Tue, Jan 18 2022, 9:57 pm
Cmon be nice wrote:
The chesed. Last year before pesach tomchei shabos sent an email blast that no one should hesitate to ask for help if needed.
Just one example

Really?! We didn’t get it… how do you sign up to be on the email list? We could really use the help unfortunately Teary Eyed

amother
Fuchsia

Post Tue, Jan 18 2022, 10:07 pm
amother [ Watermelon ] wrote:
Really?! We didn’t get it… how do you sign up to be on the email list? We could really use the help unfortunately Teary Eyed
Call them! (732) 905-7136

advocate

Post Tue, Jan 18 2022, 10:15 pm
Non Lakewood person here...
I remember one of the first times I went to Lakewood I asked someone so what do you have here in Lakewood that's special and they said Torah! Well I'm proud to say I have Tora in my town too but it's still the right first answer.

But my favorite thing about Lakewood besides my awesome family is the enormous list of gemachs in the phone directory. Every time I go to my sister-in-law's house I like to look at the list. Need a jackhammer? Got it. Need last minute arbis? Got it. Need space for freezer items? Got it.

And you do have a restaurant with a fireplace....

You also have a quick drive to the ocean...

Enjoy all that you have!

amother
Turquoise

Post Tue, Jan 18 2022, 10:27 pm
I love this thread Smile I live in Hearthstone and can never get over how many stores are within a three minute drive from my house.
Between Todd Plaza, Seagull Square, Chateau Plaza, the Evergreen Plazas and 4 Corners Plaza- there's every product and food I can dream of- and more! Each store is amazing in its own way- Toys R Us couldnt hold a candle to Toys to Discover- and I literally can't think of a product that Heads of Class doesn't carry..plus Westview Shop, Center of Town etc. etc. I have the nicest neighbors..Honestly besides the traffic I literally feel like I live in one of the most amazing places on earth. I'm truly grateful. Thanks for starting this thread.

penguin

Post Tue, Jan 18 2022, 10:39 pm
Which is the restaurant with a fireplace?

amother
Fuchsia

Post Tue, Jan 18 2022, 10:47 pm
It has my childhood memories, my extended family, my home Smile

amother
Moccasin

Post Tue, Jan 18 2022, 10:56 pm
There are so many gorgeous parks and beaches in and around Lakewood! I love visiting Cattus Island in nicer weather. Feels like a different world.

Also, stores in Lakewood are so big and beautiful. Coming from Monsey, they’re so much more impressive here.

amother
Quince

Post Tue, Jan 18 2022, 10:57 pm
penguin wrote:
Which is the restaurant with a fireplace?

Kava

amother
Antiquewhite

Post Tue, Jan 18 2022, 11:11 pm
I love that everything Jewish is so available, wherever you go.

I think it's a beautiful balance of nature and houses. It's a whole lot cleaner than my hometown

Family and relatives.

Amazing schools for my children (no tomatoes, I know this can be a sore spot for people, and it was stressful, but we're very happy now)

amother
Leaf

Post Tue, Jan 18 2022, 11:19 pm
An abundance of kosher food. Every type of store in all price ranges. Many good schools ( don’t throw tomatoes ). Overall nice people, I’ve made so many friends and met so many people that inspire me. Many club options.

amother
Gold

Post Wed, Jan 19 2022, 12:07 am
Tons of shiurim for women !

Notsobusy

Post Wed, Jan 19 2022, 12:30 am
We have our beautiful lake right in the middle of town. There are also so many great parks in Lakewood and also in nearby towns.

I love that the regular library has sections of Jewish books in both the kids and adult sections. And in the teen section they have an area with clean secular books.

I have the most amazing neighbors in a really nice neighborhood.

We have so many amazing stores. And most of them have parking lots. And we have beautiful wedding halls. Which also have parking lots. You never have to circle the blocks to find parking.

amother
Antiquewhite

Post Wed, Jan 19 2022, 12:42 am
Oh and also. Even though yeah there's a lot of traffic, in general people are patient and don't honk.

Like yes, it takes 8 lights till you can get across across one block, but everyone just sits patiently and waits.

There's no honking. People accept it as normal.

And when a school bus turns on its red flashing lights, everyone stops. Even on big streets with a lot of traffic. I know a lot of traffic rules are viewed as suggestions, but when it comes to our kids safety everyone's on the same page.

(Obviously there are exceptions to every rule. But I think I heard honking one time in traffic in my 2 years in Lakewood so far.)

SuperWify

Post Wed, Jan 19 2022, 1:24 am
I live out of town now but here’s what I miss there:

Big huge grocery stores

Great clothing shops (shoutout to the gallery)

Really nice upscale restaurants and cafes

Most of my family…

amother
Gardenia

Post Wed, Jan 19 2022, 1:47 am
We don't live in Lakewood and we're not the Lakewood type. My son is in a special needs program in Lakewood and we couldn't be happier. When I'm there I take advantage of the shopping - lots of kosher food and other frum needs at the best prices. It's really nice that the frum lifestyle is the norm. It's a special feeling to be getting ready for yom tov together with thousands of other people. It's beautiful to see the chashivus that's given to Torah. Kol hakavod.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 19 2022, 11:55 am
Bump because I think it's important to keep the positives in perspective even while complaining about the negatives.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Wed, Jan 19 2022, 12:51 pm
I come from OOT and when I go back I realize how much we have. Think about how many restaurants, groceries, clothing stores, furniture stores, schools, shuls, and everyday businesses there are. If one place doesn't have what you are looking for, you can easily try another. Plus most of those places have great parking too.

We had a few frum families on my block growing up and had to make do with the neighbors we had, even if they weren't our age or type. Many times we'd walk 20+ minutes to get together with classmates. My kids have so many kids their age on my block and neighborhood.

Lakewood is known for their generosity with tzedaka and chesed organizations.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries