Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Everyone is going away on vacation..
1  2  3  4  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 18 2022, 10:48 pm
It feels like pretty much everyone. We're not going away anywhere for yeshiva week and haven't gone away in many years, even before covid. I'm going to be doing day trips to play spaces, kids' museums, etc. but any suggestions on something else that will make them feel like it's a special time? We're in NY and most of their classmates will be in Florida. Except my oldest, none of them have been on a plane and I don't want them to feel "deprived." We're on a budget but still B"H able to spend some money. I'm thinking we'll go out to eat, something we rarely do.. TIA for ideas.

amother
Marigold

Post Tue, Jan 18 2022, 10:54 pm
Can you go to a hotel for one night? They can feel like they went "away" even if you don't do anything major.

mommyX2

Post Tue, Jan 18 2022, 11:25 pm
I agree go somewhere like Philly or Lancaster to a hotel to feel like they have some sort of getaway.

amother
Maple

Post Tue, Jan 18 2022, 11:29 pm
I also feel like everyone is going to Florida.... how and why as it become standard? We checked prices, it's so so expensive now and restaurants are booked up for the next 2 weeks. It's crazy.

momof2+?

Post Tue, Jan 18 2022, 11:35 pm
mommyX2 wrote:
I agree go somewhere like Philly or Lancaster to a hotel to feel like they have some sort of getaway.

Going to Philadelphia or Lancaster doesn’t just feel like a getaway. It IS a getaway.

Aurora

Post Wed, Jan 19 2022, 12:14 am
Right now, just getting out of my house to a place that isn't my job feels like a getaway

gold21

Post Wed, Jan 19 2022, 12:21 am
momof2+? wrote:
Going to Philadelphia or Lancaster doesn’t just feel like a getaway. It IS a getaway.

Lol, exactly. How is that not a getaway? Of course it's a getaway. Florida isn't the only getaway destination in the universe.

If you don't want to do a real getaway but want to feel like you are, spend a night in a local (or semi-local) hotel for one night and then do something fun in the area the next morning. You don't have to travel anywhere but you'll still feel like you got away.

Sewsew_mom

Post Wed, Jan 19 2022, 12:24 am
Nope. We're not going anywhere. Cus I don't care to go anywhere. I will be happy if I get to take my kids out for a day to do anything.
I don't like to go anywhere when everyone is on vacation. I spoil my kids when they should be in school and take them away than.
Plan a fun retreat at home if you have the ability. Or swap homes with a friend for a night and 2 days..

amother
Babypink

Post Wed, Jan 19 2022, 12:26 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
It feels like pretty much everyone. We're not going away anywhere for yeshiva week and haven't gone away in many years, even before covid. I'm going to be doing day trips to play spaces, kids' museums, etc. but any suggestions on something else that will make them feel like it's a special time? We're in NY and most of their classmates will be in Florida. Except my oldest, none of them have been on a plane and I don't want them to feel "deprived." We're on a budget but still B"H able to spend some money. I'm thinking we'll go out to eat, something we rarely do.. TIA for ideas.

Your attitude is only going to reinforce their jealousy, and comparing themselves to others. All the places you mentioned will be fun for them and they shouldn’t feel deprived just because they’re not going on a plane ride…unless they get that sense from you. Teach them now not to look at what others do.

amother
Burgundy

Post Wed, Jan 19 2022, 3:26 am
It’s so funny. I don’t live in the tri-state area, and it would never occur to me to feel bad about not flying somewhere else!! All the things you mentioned are special treats for my kids, and I have older ones too! Going to a fun museum, going to a restaurant, hanging out when normally I’m at work… that’s so fun!!

amother
Birch

Post Wed, Jan 19 2022, 6:27 am
OP your attitude sets the tone for the family. If you’re looking elsewhere and feeling jealous, sad or resentful that you’re not going away then so will your kids. Instead do as you’re doing, plan some fun activities that you don’t typically do. Include things like movie night (in a school night!) or ask what each kid wants to do! Spending time with you, enjoying some down time is amazing and ugh, the stress of packing and travel (especially during Covid) are overrated.

Beingreal

Post Wed, Jan 19 2022, 6:39 am
I don't live in the tri-state area as well. We are not going anywhere much. We may go out to eat and explore places.

amother
Anemone

Post Wed, Jan 19 2022, 6:50 am
You can amp up your staycation. Have everyone camp out in the living room one night. Have a pajama day. Buy ingredients and cook an elaborate meal. Go to a bookstore and buy everyone a book, then come home for hot cocoa and reading. If you live near restaurants, have one day where you go out to eat for all three meals. Go ice skating. Make a scavenger hunt in a museum. Eat ice cream for breakfast.

A lot of the fun of a vacation comes from changing your routine, not necessarily from changing your location.

amother
Whitesmoke

Post Wed, Jan 19 2022, 6:55 am
amother [ Anemone ] wrote:
You can amp up your staycation. Have everyone camp out in the living room one night. Have a pajama day. Buy ingredients and cook an elaborate meal. Go to a bookstore and buy everyone a book, then come home for hot cocoa and reading. If you live near restaurants, have one day where you go out to eat for all three meals. Go ice skating. Eat ice cream for breakfast.

A lot of the fun of a vacation comes from changing your routine, not necessarily from changing your location.

Yes yes yes
Bookstore
Ice skating
Night out at a hotel with a pool
Big diy project
New games and family game day
Philly, Lancaster or poconos- a fun airbnb in any of above for couple nights

amother
Tomato

Post Wed, Jan 19 2022, 6:56 am
amother [ Maple ] wrote:
I also feel like everyone is going to Florida.... how and why as it become standard? We checked prices, it's so so expensive now and restaurants are booked up for the next 2 weeks. It's crazy.

1. Not everyone who goes to Florida goes out to eat- we don’t, and none of our friends do.
2. We have a credit card that we use the points from.
3. Some people have family in Florida (we do) and that’s why they go specifically there.

amother
Caramel

Post Wed, Jan 19 2022, 6:58 am
We never travel by plane during winter break and rarely even go "away" but we do try to do some fun activities as a family.
Just because many people do travel during this time is not a reason to do so! Your kids will pick up on your attitude.
You can either plan a road trip or do fun things at home or close to home.
We also always add a few things that are "luxurious" for us (might not be for others) like going out to eat one day or buying some bakery items /donuts/ice cream that we rarely do.

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Jan 19 2022, 7:13 am
When did winter break start equaling flying somewhere? During winter break, my entire school life, we did nothing. Maybe a day trip here and there. But mostly we just hung out at home, hoped for snow, hung out with friends. When did it become this thing that one "has to" (Im being sarcastic) go somewhere and do things?
Dont most parents also work? I never understood this shift in attitude.

OP, if you are able to take your kids places each day or a few days during the break, thats great. Dont feel bad and dont give off this feeling of jealousy to your kids. They will hopefully have a wonderful break, whatever they do or dont do. And hey, to us it was always just a huge plus to not have to be getting up with an alarm in the morning.
ETA: I grew up in the tri state area.

Last edited by shabbatiscoming on Wed, Jan 19 2022, 7:37 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Wallflower

Post Wed, Jan 19 2022, 7:19 am
When my kids had winter break years ago, I had to work! I had to save my vacation for all the Jewish holidays, Erev Yom Tovs, etc. There wasn't a lot of extra money to go away either.

amother
Honeysuckle

Post Wed, Jan 19 2022, 7:47 am
amother [ Tomato ] wrote:
1. Not everyone who goes to Florida goes out to eat- we don’t, and none of our friends do.
2. We have a credit card that we use the points from.
3. Some people have family in Florida (we do) and that’s why they go specifically there.

All this applies to me to. And it’s the first time I’m going and my oldest is 14.

Beingreal

Post Wed, Jan 19 2022, 7:55 am
When did midwinter become a competition???
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children