Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
If you're a store owner, I'm genuinely trying to understand
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

SuperWify

Post Wed, Jan 19 2022, 5:52 pm
amother [ Lightcyan ] wrote:
That is a cost of doing business. Sorry, but it is mine to use when I want/need. You got the original item back and resold it... so you got the money 2x for the same item and now wont let me use the credit?

No. Most times (especially if it’s a seasonal item) the item is not sold again or sold at a discount….

Whatever. I get you’re a frustrated customer, it’s your choice to take your business elsewhere. I’m just trying to explain that the stores are not out to get you. They are just trying to make a living, too.

I’ve worked in a few stores and I’ve dealt with my share of nasty customers (returning items damaged by the customer, threatening us when we wouldn’t take back a late return, complaining that a different store sells the same item for $1 cheaper [this is true], insulting my products to my face - this is all you have? nasty texts…. Ect)
Here’s what we do: we don’t service those customers anymore.

On the flip side, I’ve also been burnt with some unreasonable customer service (being called a crazy lady because I was given a damaged product and they refused to work with me so I refused to leave the store, snobbed out and refused service because I asked for sale products or I didn’t like rich enough for the store…).
Here’s what I do: I don’t go back to that store.

Last edited by SuperWify on Wed, Jan 19 2022, 5:53 pm; edited 1 time in total

sky

Post Wed, Jan 19 2022, 5:52 pm
SuperWify wrote:
They took your money when you bought the product X days/months/years ago. That money was used to purchase new inventory and is long gone. Your open credit is a liability for them.

If you buy something and return the next day that money was not spent. They just refused to return it.
They are holding your money captive without giving you anything in return.
If they got the item back in resellable condition quickly the money should go into escrow.
It’s not theirs to just spend. It was never a loss from them. Only profit for nothing

amother
Holly

Post Wed, Jan 19 2022, 5:53 pm
No one is selling clothes at cost price even on sale. They just want to squeeze as much money out of you as possible, plain and simple. The fact they will give credit, not a refund, itself shows this attitude.

SuperWify

Post Wed, Jan 19 2022, 5:55 pm
amother [ Holly ] wrote:
No one is selling clothes at cost price even on sale. They just want to squeeze as much money out of you as possible, plain and simple. The fact they will give credit, not a refund, itself shows this attitude.

Again, if you don’t like it, don’t shop there. No one is holding a gun to your head.

Most items are marked up 50%. If the item was 51% off or more they are losing money 9/10 times.

SuperWify

Post Wed, Jan 19 2022, 5:56 pm
sky wrote:
If you buy something and return the next day that money was not spent. They just refused to return it.
They are holding your money captive without giving you anything in return.
If they got the item back in resellable condition quickly the money should go into escrow.
It’s not theirs to just spend. It was never a loss from them. Only profit for nothing

You are 100% right. Unfortunately, most businesses need the money and therefore don’t put it aside.

Fave

Post Wed, Jan 19 2022, 6:08 pm
flowerpower wrote:
How about this- I bought a shabbos top for over $100. Dh hated it so I returned it the next day. I got a credit. A year and a week later I bought something else there. I wanted to use the credit. The owner says it expires after a year and I can’t use it. There was nothing on the credit stating that!

This is illegal

Chayalle

Post Wed, Jan 19 2022, 6:15 pm
My DD spent $$$ to get her best friend a gorgeous baby gift - matching stretchie, hat, and blanket - at a certain local store that is located close to her place of work. She went there for the convenience.

Her friend actually got that same stretchie - minus the hat and blanket - from someone else. So she returned just the stretchie. The store - Whimsy in Lakewood - was running a sale when she came in, and they let her exchange it. She got 4 stretchies in place of that one.

My DD was so thrilled with how that turned out for her friend, and the customer service experience, that she now shops at Whimsy every time one of her friends has a baby and she needs a gift.

I think good and pleasant customer service is worth it for a store.

amother
Vanilla

Post Wed, Jan 19 2022, 6:18 pm
amother [ Linen ] wrote:
I’m Sorry to Say this. But this is exactly why I don’t shop in frum stores. This wouldn’t happen in Target, Macy’s, Gap, Sephora etc. they can’t make Arbitrary rules, there’s always someone to Escalate to.
I’m Sorry this happened to you

Are you listening to yourself 🙈 these are all large businesses that can afford to have such generous policies

You are free to shop wherever you want but to compare a store like Macy’s to a local small business isn’t fair

amother
Bluebell

Post Wed, Jan 19 2022, 6:45 pm
amother [ Holly ] wrote:

That's untrue. My Mil used to own a clothing store and her inventory was mostly marked up 30-35%.
When she did a sale you bet she lost money but she just wanted to make room for more inventory and pay her vendors. Eventually she gave up the store, wasn't worth it.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Wed, Jan 19 2022, 6:48 pm
Conclusion: get pics of return policy before your even start to shop.

amother
Lightcyan

Post Wed, Jan 19 2022, 7:08 pm
SuperWify wrote:
No. Most times (especially if it’s a seasonal item) the item is not sold again or sold at a discount….

Whatever. I get you’re a frustrated customer, it’s your choice to take your business elsewhere. I’m just trying to explain that the stores are not out to get you. They are just trying to make a living, too.

I’ve worked in a few stores and I’ve dealt with my share of nasty customers (returning items damaged by the customer, threatening us when we wouldn’t take back a late return, complaining that a different store sells the same item for $1 cheaper [this is true], insulting my products to my face - this is all you have? nasty texts…. Ect)
Here’s what we do: we don’t service those customers anymore.

On the flip side, I’ve also been burnt with some unreasonable customer service (being called a crazy lady because I was given a damaged product and they refused to work with me so I refused to leave the store, snobbed out and refused service because I asked for sale products or I didn’t like rich enough for the store…).
Here’s what I do: I don’t go back to that store.

If they have a return window, they have the window. And I can use it. That means they think they can resell it. Especially if it was returned the same day or within a few days. Not saying 6 months later- no frum store has that great customer service. Many are 1 day or 7 day windows.

Plus, Not every item is seasonal. And if it is still in new condition with tags they can easily resell it.

Sorry, but they are trying to get double the money for the same item. First by reselling it and second by not letting me use my credit. It is theft.

amother
Lightcyan

Post Wed, Jan 19 2022, 7:13 pm
amother [ Vanilla ] wrote:
Are you listening to yourself 🙈 these are all large businesses that can afford to have such generous policies

You are free to shop wherever you want but to compare a store like Macy’s to a local small business isn’t fair

There is a big difference between complaining about not getting a 1 year return policy (big box stores) and store owners arbitrarily making and changing rules.
When I shop at a small business I know I have a more limited window to return. But I dont expect the store owner to yell, treat me like garbage, not let me use credit I already spent, not honor their own advertisements...

amother
Peru

Post Wed, Jan 19 2022, 7:43 pm
As a small business owner, I understand where the store owner is coming from.
There were times when my business wasn't doing well so I thought putting up a sale would bring new clients in. The problem is it brought in clients who had already booked me and told me they want the sale price. So I not only didn't make more money, I lost what I was going to make. It's hard because clients don't understand that behind the business is a person just trying to keep their business open. I don't blame the client either...I just learned to never go on sale or put up discounts.
Comparing a small business to Macy's or Gap is ridiculous! They're not going to feel a thing.
And to the poster who wanted to return clothing a year later? Really?

amother
Dahlia

Post Wed, Jan 19 2022, 7:49 pm
Just another perspective:

I am sure that large stores (Target, Macy's etc.) also have their share of unreasonable customers demanding refunds. They probably just grin and bear it. The associates are underlings and really don't care to give refunds. It's no skin off their back.

When you walk into a small frum store, they literally can't afford to give refunds in the same way. So they have to have stricter policies.

Whether or not a store owner is mentchlich has to do with his or her personality. Some are nicer than others. I don't think we can make a blanket statement that frum owners are distrusting, conniving, dishonest people. It's not true in my experience.

I live in an OOT community and we done have that many frum-owned businesses. But I never experienced any nastiness or unfair policies when I shop there.

Keep in mind that it may be a mitzva to support frum-owned businesses, even if it costs the customer a bit more. Ask your lor.

amother
Jade

Post Wed, Jan 19 2022, 8:01 pm
Store owners- another question- is it ok to switch your sale mid week that was advertised the week before?
I went to a store in lakewood for salmon especially because it was advertised on sale.
Once there, it rang up at regular price. They called the manager/owner who said yeah the price of salmon went up mid week so sale is no longer valid.
Huh???! I left my entire shopping cart full of items right there LOL

amother
Dahlia

Post Wed, Jan 19 2022, 8:06 pm
amother [ Jade ] wrote:
Store owners- another question- is it ok to switch your sale mid week that was advertised the week before?
I went to a store in lakewood for salmon especially because it was advertised on sale.
Once there, it rang up at regular price. They called the manager/owner who said yeah the price of salmon went up mid week so sale is no longer valid.

That sounds so frustrating.
The owner should write on the ad *while supplies last.

allthingsblue

Post Wed, Jan 19 2022, 8:06 pm
amother [ Jade ] wrote:

These days with crazy inflation that doesn’t surprise me.

pause

Post Wed, Jan 19 2022, 8:15 pm
amother [ Peru ] wrote:
As a small business owner, I understand where the store owner is coming from.

Did you read what she wrote because you're sounding mightily defensive. She said she returned the sweater the next day but she got store credit instead of a refund. She came back a year later to use the store credit, and they wouldn't honor it.

imasinger

Post Wed, Jan 19 2022, 8:18 pm
amother [Peru] wrote:

Your perspective is important and appreciated. I just want to correct your misperception about the above point.

The poster had not waited a year to return her item. She returned the item promptly, and was issued a credit. She then went to use the credit just over a year later, and was told it had expired-- although she had not been previously informed of an expiration date.

amother
Bone

Post Wed, Jan 19 2022, 8:23 pm
One time a store refused to take an item back a day after I bought it. It had a hole. I didn't make a hole in a baby sweater . When I tried it on right when I got home, I noticed it. It wasn't cheap. They accused me of making teh hole. I told them. I advise you to take it , and not give me any money if they dont want to bec. I will dispute the charge on my credit card. Took a pic of the hole. and put the sweater on the shelf.

buh-bye. I'm not playing.
Page 2 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics