Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Did you know chulent beans can be toxic if not cooked right?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 20 2022, 3:08 pm
Copied and pasted:
Slow cookers are convenient for cooking a variety of foods. But, when cooking certain dry beans in a slow cooker, it could be toxic. The problem isn't bacteria, but a compound called “phytohaemagglutinin,” also called PHA, or kidney bean lectin.Oct 13,

Featured snippet from the web
Kidney beans should not be cooked from raw in a slow cooker.

If you care about the scientific reason – it's that the beans contain a protein, called phytohaemagglutinin, which is toxic. Even just a few raw or undercooked beans can make you quite ill. Cooking the beans properly destroys the toxin.Apr 1,

Red kidney beans have the highest concentration of lectins, so it's especially important to prepare them properly.

The FDA cited a U.K.-based study that suggests beans should be soaked in water for at least five hours before removing the water and boiling the beans in a fresh pot of water for at least 30 minutes. Once this process is complete, you can safely add the beans to your favorite slow cooker recipe.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 20 2022, 3:11 pm
Also:
You can leave food in the slow cooker overnight as long as it is turned on for cooking and not set to “warm”. The warming setting unfortunately won’t keep food safe to eat for more than 3 or 4 hours.

amother
Lavender

Post Thu, Jan 20 2022, 3:21 pm
Yes. I once nearly ended in hospital because of undercooked beans in cholent... Pale
Not recommendable at all.

vintagebknyc

Post Thu, Jan 20 2022, 3:28 pm
Okay, this is a PSA from me, your friendly imamother editor: When you repost something from the web can you please give the web address? The name of the publication? So we can know if it comes from a: Best Jewish Cooking EVER, or b: Nightmare Recipes for Purim

amother
Caramel

Post Thu, Jan 20 2022, 3:36 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Also:
You can leave food in the slow cooker overnight as long as it is turned on for cooking and not set to “warm”. The warming setting unfortunately won’t keep food safe to eat for more than 3 or 4 hours.

I've kept my crock pot on "keep warm" overnight for over 10 years without incident.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 20 2022, 3:41 pm
https://bestlifeonline.com/nev.....news/
http://www.choosingvoluntarysi.....inin/
Just search beans toxic slow cooker etc

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 20 2022, 3:44 pm
amother [ Caramel ] wrote:
I've kept my crock pot on "keep warm" overnight for over 10 years without incident.

I know that people with sensitive digestive systems do feel bad and gassy after chulent

amother
Caramel

Post Thu, Jan 20 2022, 3:46 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I know that people with sensitive digestive systems do feel bad and gassy after chulent

My family is very sensitive. I use very few beans and mostly barley and potatoes. No meat. I wonder if it's the crockpot setting or what people put in the crock pot that causes the problems.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 20 2022, 3:47 pm
My family is very sensitive. I use very few beans and mostly barley and potatoes. No meat. I wonder if it's the crockpot setting or what people put in the crock pot that causes the problems.

Even few beans if not prepared right can cause problems. You should put it on low from now on. I noticed that recipes of chulent online always say to put in on low overnight

amother
Chicory

Post Thu, Jan 20 2022, 3:49 pm
Thank you for this information! I don't always manage to get them soft since I forget to soak them overnight

vintagebknyc

Post Thu, Jan 20 2022, 3:50 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Even few beans if not prepared right can cause problems. You should put it on low from now on. I noticed that recipes of chulent online always say to put in on low overnight

Many people have problems with beans. Eating them with a digestive enzyme, like Beano, can help. We eat a ton of beans because we're vegetarians; Beano is your friend.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 20 2022, 3:52 pm
vintagebknyc wrote:
Many people have problems with beans. Eating them with a digestive enzyme, like Beano, can help. We eat a ton of beans because we're vegetarians; Beano is your friend.

Do you soak the beans for 5 hours and than boil them on fresh water and drain before cooking beans?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 20 2022, 3:53 pm
amother [ Chicory ] wrote:
Thank you for this information! I don't always manage to get them soft since I forget to soak them overnight

If you forget to soak them always have canned beans at home and use canned beans for the chulent

amother
Chicory

Post Thu, Jan 20 2022, 3:57 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
If you forget to soak them always have canned beans at home and use canned beans for the chulent

That's a great idea!

Bnei Berak 10

Post Thu, Jan 20 2022, 4:02 pm
I soak a big batch of beans overnight.
Day after raining and washing them
Boil them in new cold water without salt until just soft. Skim frequently.
Drain in a colander. When cool, portion out in plastic bags. Freeze.
A batch will last for a few weeks.
Nobody is getting gassy!

vintagebknyc

Post Thu, Jan 20 2022, 4:03 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Do you soak the beans for 5 hours and than boil them on fresh water and drain before cooking beans?

We have tried that and it made no difference for us, we even tried adding the baking soda. Nope, it is what it is. Considering how long they take to cook, I'm happy not to add more time. (Or really, have my DH take more time, since he's the chef in the family.)

amother
Grape

Post Thu, Jan 20 2022, 4:19 pm
I also boil a huge pot of beans and barley then rinse fully in colander.
Portion then out into 5 weeks of cholent and spice fully.
All it needs is potatoes and onions. Makes Shabbos prep simpler.
And easier on the stomach.

SixOfWands

Post Thu, Jan 20 2022, 4:29 pm
vintagebknyc wrote:
We have tried that and it made no difference for us, we even tried adding the baking soda. Nope, it is what it is. Considering how long they take to cook, I'm happy not to add more time. (Or really, have my DH take more time, since he's the chef in the family.)

You need an instant pot or other pressure cooker.

Beans cook quickly and well. I make white bean soup with dried beans, no soaking, with 45 minutes at pressure. (It takes time to come to pressure, and to release, so its more than 45 minutes.)

Still gassy, though.

flowerpower

Post Thu, Jan 20 2022, 4:30 pm

Really? I did that once by mistake and the cholent was rotten and had a smell the next day. Usually it’s on low.

Moonlight

Post Thu, Jan 20 2022, 4:31 pm
Well I have been soaking them for 30 min (cuz that's what my mom does) for 13 Years and no one got sick yet....
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics