Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
S/o cholent thread with poll
Previous  1  2

Do you keep your crockpot on warm over shabbos?
Yes  
 9%  [ 11 ]
We keep it on low  
 90%  [ 110 ]
Total Votes : 121

mfb

Post Fri, Jan 21 2022, 8:29 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
The beans are still hard when I do that. And when I keep it on low over shabbos its burnt by shabbos lunch

Then you need more water before shabbos

exhausted

Post Fri, Jan 21 2022, 8:29 am
I put mine on high the whole Friday and then it goes automatically to warm. No one has ever gotten sick. It's very hot when I serve it.

Persevere

Post Fri, Jan 21 2022, 9:53 am
Sometimes I keep it on high the whole shabbos. I add hot water before shabbos and again before I go to bed Fri night.

I plug it into a timer to turn off after the lunch seuda.

It makes a different taste so we appreciate the variety, very delicious.

FranticFrummie

Post Sat, Jan 22 2022, 10:20 am
Temperatures not only vary from one model of crock pot to another, but even from one location to another.

One apartment may be slightly over current, and will overheat the element, causing your crock pot to burn out sooner than it should.

Another apartment may be under current, and will not allow things to warm up to the fullest, even if it's the exact same appliance you had at your old place. (Happened to me in an apartment in NJ. Very low current, and food in the fridge kept spoiling, even when on the highest setting.)

The best way to find the right balance, is to try out your crock pot on a weekday, when you can adjust the temperature. Get a meat thermometer and make sure you're in the right range for food safety. Then you'll know what settings to use for Shabbos.

amother
Amethyst

Post Sat, Jan 22 2022, 10:56 am
We-do-not-have-a-crockpot Hiding
We are no cholent fans, make it only maybe 3 or 4 times a year, mostly in winter, cook it completely before Shabbat, and keep it warm in the oven on Shabbat setting.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen