Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Puberty: Is period close or no?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jan 21 2022, 8:59 am
I read up about the tanner stages and took dd to an endocrinologist and still confused.

Dd is newly 10. She has breast buds for about 2 years, small breakouts of acne in t zone for about 6 months, and yellow vaginal discharge every day for at least 6 months, possibly longer. But she does not have any pubic hair.

Everything I read said discharge means period within 6 months to a year. But that pubic hair invariably comes before the period. And she doesn’t have any.

Bloodwork from endocrinologist and bone age scan is NOT consistent with her period being close, according to the dr. But then what about the discharge??

Can anyone with experience with teenage girls help me out ? Is your experience with your girls consistent with what I’m reading online? Would you worry that a girl that has no pubic hair is getting her period soon?

I already spoke with her about it, and were ready either way. I’m just more concerned about her height to be honest.

imaima

Post Fri, Jan 21 2022, 9:01 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I read up about the tanner stages and took dd to an endocrinologist and still confused.

Dd is newly 10. She has breast buds for about 2 years, small breakouts of acne in t zone for about 6 months, and yellow vaginal discharge every day for at least 6 months, possibly longer. But she does not have any pubic hair.

Everything I read said discharge means period within 6 months to a year. But that pubic hair invariably comes before the period. And she doesn’t have any.

Bloodwork from endocrinologist and bone age scan is NOT consistent with her period being close, according to the dr. But then what about the discharge??

Can anyone with experience with teenage girls help me out ? Is your experience with your girls consistent with what I’m reading online? Would you worry that a girl that has no pubic hair is getting her period soon?

I already spoke with her about it, and were ready either way. I’m just more concerned about her height to be honest.

I would listen to the doctor and not worry.
Is he say there is a problem?

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jan 21 2022, 9:07 am
imaima wrote:
I would listen to the doctor and not worry.
Is he say there is a problem?
The dr did not say there was a problem, but a lot of drs don’t consider getting a period at 10 a problem. And with this particular child I have a lot a lot of experience with drs saying things aren’t a problem when they really are.

shabbatiscoming

Post Fri, Jan 21 2022, 9:31 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

To be honest, I never asked my daughter about pubic hair or discharge. She got her period at 12 and had been wearing a bra for a bit. But I font think you have to worry at 10 years old, just yet.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jan 21 2022, 9:36 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
To be honest, I never asked my daughter about pubic hair or discharge. She got her period at 12 and had been wearing a bra for a bit. But I font think you have to worry at 10 years old, just yet.
I can’t help noticing it on her underwear when I do her laundry. Not prying about hair, but she told me when we had the discussion.

amother
Pistachio

Post Fri, Jan 21 2022, 12:14 pm
Not everyone's body is going to work according to textbook! What you mentiion are just general guudelines. I have a bunch of girls and only one followed the rules so to speak. There is absolutely nothing to worry about at this age. One of my dd only started having periods at age 17. She had been fully formed and had vaginal discharges for years. And even then doctors said there was nothing to worry about (which proved to be true, she is a mom of 2).

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jan 21 2022, 1:13 pm
amother [ Pistachio ] wrote:
Not everyone's body is going to work according to textbook! What you mentiion are just general guudelines. I have a bunch of girls and only one followed the rules so to speak. There is absolutely nothing to worry about at this age. One of my dd only started having periods at age 17. She had been fully formed and had vaginal discharges for years. And even then doctors said there was nothing to worry about (which proved to be true, she is a mom of 2).
Thats reassuring that your dd has discharge for a long time before getting a period. I realize that kids aren’t textbook, but with something like puberty it makes sense that its very linear and comes in stages, and it seemed pretty set in stone that pubic hair comes before period , and everywhere said discharge means your period is nearly here.
I’m not sure why you say nothing to worry about though, because some (and it seems be becoming more common) kids do get their periods at 10.

imaima

Post Mon, Jan 24 2022, 4:43 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thats reassuring that your dd has discharge for a long time before getting a period. I realize that kids aren’t textbook, but with something like puberty it makes sense that its very linear and comes in stages, and it seemed pretty set in stone that pubic hair comes before period , and everywhere said discharge means your period is nearly here.
I’m not sure why you say nothing to worry about though, because some (and it seems be becoming more common) kids do get their periods at 10.

Yes but the earliest normal age is 9. So your daughter will be within the range.

I'll summarize your info:

Research says period comes after pubic hair, within 6-12 months after discharge.

Your daughter: not close to period; no pubic hair; has discharge.

Can we assume that she will get period in a year? And the pubic hair will appear at some point during this year?

Or, why don't you ask the doctor how come she has discharge if she won't have period soon according to the bona age etc.?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 24 2022, 8:53 am
imaima wrote:
Yes but the earliest normal age is 9. So your daughter will be within the range.

I'll summarize your info:

Research says period comes after pubic hair, within 6-12 months after discharge.

Your daughter: not close to period; no pubic hair; has discharge.

Can we assume that she will get period in a year? And the pubic hair will appear at some point during this year?

Or, why don't you ask the doctor how come she has discharge if she won't have period soon according to the bona age etc.?
Yes so even if she gets her period and is technically within normal, if she doesn’t grow to her full height that means it was early for her.

The thing is she’s been having discharge for at least 6 months, probably longer. So by now she would be really really close. But bloodwork isn’t showing that.

I will call and ask the dr today if discharge could mean anything else besides imminent period.

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Jan 24 2022, 9:23 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Yes so even if she gets her period and is technically within normal, if she doesn’t grow to her full height that means it was early for her.

The thing is she’s been having discharge for at least 6 months, probably longer. So by now she would be really really close. But bloodwork isn’t showing that.

I will call and ask the dr today if discharge could mean anything else besides imminent period.
OP, why are you so worried? Sometimes these things dont happen exactly when they should, it sometimes happens earlier and sometimes a bit later. I would let things go for a bit. No need to be nervous just yet really.

imaima

Post Mon, Jan 24 2022, 11:16 am
Okay
I have some experience.
I have an early bloomer here and I was told that when she got breast buds at 8-9, I could have gone to the doctor to try and predict her development, and at that point it was possible to give her treatment to try and postpone period IF it proved to be worth it given the side effects.

At 10 (or 11 after the period) it would have been too late for any intervention even IF we decided that the extra inch of height were so important to us to give our kid hormones.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 24 2022, 11:18 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
OP, why are you so worried? Sometimes these things dont happen exactly when they should, it sometimes happens earlier and sometimes a bit later. I would let things go for a bit. No need to be nervous just yet really.
Im not nervous. I’m just really curious if anyone has experience with vaginal discharge very early on in puberty?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 24 2022, 11:19 am
imaima wrote:
Okay
I have some experience.
I have an early bloomer here and I was told that when she got breast buds at 8-9, I could have gone to the doctor to try and predict her development, and at that point it was possible to give her treatment to try and postpone period IF it proved to be worth it given the side effects.

At 10 (or 11 after the period) it would have been too late for any intervention even IF we decided that the extra inch of height were so important to us to give our kid hormones.
Ok but my kids bone age is normal.
Anyways I’m not looking for medical intervention right now. Just trying to understand what’s going on in her body.

amother
Cornsilk

Post Mon, Jan 24 2022, 11:31 am
OP, you’re overthinking this. Understandable given that you feel burned by the medical system with regard to this child, yet completely non-productive.

If your child was an older teen, it would make sense to be stressing a bit. But she’s 10! Stop thinking about this. Her period will arrive when it’s ready to.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 24 2022, 11:34 am
amother [ Cornsilk ] wrote:
OP, you’re overthinking this. Understandable given that you feel burned by the medical system with regard to this child, yet completely non-productive.

If your child was an older teen, it would make sense to be stressing a bit. But she’s 10! Stop thinking about this. Her period will arrive when it’s ready to.
I’m not stressing. I have reasons that I don’t want to spell out here for why I’m trying to understand and be as prepared as possible.

imaima

Post Mon, Jan 24 2022, 11:43 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Ok but my kids bone age is normal.
Anyways I’m not looking for medical intervention right now. Just trying to understand what’s going on in her body.

So what's the point of this thread.
So far your daughter is developing normally and if she weren't, it probably would be too late to do anything about it.
That's it.
Perid can come any time.

amother
Ruby

Post Mon, Jan 24 2022, 11:45 am
It’s probably not close. Discharge can be from many things including from being wet from things like pleasuring. Also according to my doctor you can give growth hormones until the last stage of puberty so she can actually do something if it was an issue.

amother
NeonPurple

Post Mon, Jan 24 2022, 11:47 am
This may sound far-fetched but it might be worth checking her for worms. Sometimes that can cause a discharge by irritating the area and nothing to do with puberty.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 24 2022, 11:48 am
imaima wrote:
So what's the point of this thread.
So far your daughter is developing normally and if she weren't, it probably would be too late to do anything about it.
That's it.
Perid can come any time.
I have reasons for wanting to know. I wasn’t asking for advice, just simply if anyone has experience with a kid getting a period with discharge but no pubic hairs, and / or if anyone has experience with discharge being unrelated to puberty or oncoming period.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 24 2022, 11:49 am
amother [ NeonPurple ] wrote:
This may sound far-fetched but it might be worth checking her for worms. Sometimes that can cause a discharge by irritating the area and nothing to do with puberty.
Thanks for this. We’ve treated for pinworms several times, I don’t think there’s any irritation. But good idea to do some pinworm treatment again.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics