Home

"White sugar"
Previous  1, 2
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Women's Health -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise


View latest: 24h 48h 72h

Esty 4




 
 
 
 

Post Sun, Jan 23 2022, 9:44 am
After reading this, I'm afraid I'm eating too much fruit... How much is still healthy?
Back to top

amother




Snow
 

Post Sun, Jan 23 2022, 9:48 am
amother [ Clover ] wrote:
I agree.

People tend to jump on conclusions or to pursue one idea up to absurdity.

I have many friends that believe that honey is so much better than white sugar... Not to bash honey, I use it against colds, etc.. But honey has as many calories as sugar, and whoever thinks their cake will be "healthier" if the put in honey instead of sugar deludes themselves...

By the way: the snack industry is jumping exactly on this bandwagon by proposing "healthy" bars and cookies and snacks... that will make you just as fat as the other ones... It's like the chazer pointing out its kosher feet...

Honey is certainly better for gut health than sugar. It may not help with weight loss but certainly will be better for your overall health.
Back to top

amother




Iris
 

Post Sun, Jan 23 2022, 9:48 am
amother [ Teal ] wrote:
Reminds me of a funny story. I once had seminary girls stay by me. They were telling me about their diet in the dorm which included cutting out white sugar and white flour. When I asked what they used instead of white sugar, they responded brown sugar!

There is a type of brown sugar that is sugar from evaporated molasses and not white sugar mixed with molasses. The 1st one is healthier, the 2nd one is no different than white sugar.
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post Sun, Jan 23 2022, 9:50 am
BubblyBubby wrote:
fructose is worse when it is concentrated. The way it appears naturally in fruits, there is no problem, since fruits contain over 80% water, lots of fibers, and a little bit of fructose (mandarine: 1,2 mg per 100g)...
So even when you eat 20 clementines in a row, it does not come up to a can of coke sweetened with high fructose corn syrup.

20 clementines have much more sugar than a can of Coke, so that's way too much fruit to have at once. But according to what I've gathered, there is no comparision between an equivalent amount of sugar in fruit or out of the fruit. For most people, a serving of fruit served whole and raw is healthy, and the body processes the sugar fine, mostly because of the natural structure with the fiber. But drinking the juice squeezed out of the fruit causes a sugar spike because it lacks fiber, and many of the nutrients are in the pulp.
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post Sun, Jan 23 2022, 9:53 am
amother [ Iris ] wrote:
There is a type of brown sugar that is sugar from evaporated molasses and not white sugar mixed with molasses. The 1st one is healthier, the 2nd one is no different than white sugar.

Molasses contains nutrients that refined sugar does not. However, it is still sugar. All the reasons to cut down on sugar consumption still apply to it.
Back to top

amother




Iris
 

Post Sun, Jan 23 2022, 10:00 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Molasses contains nutrients that refined sugar does not. However, it is still sugar. All the reasons to cut down on sugar consumption still apply to it.

Molasses is digested differently than white sugar because it's not as refined. It makes a difference.
Back to top

Amarante




 
 
 
 

Post Sun, Jan 23 2022, 10:54 am
Obviously eating 10 oranges in one setting or two pounds of cherries isn’t healthy eating.

But eating normal quantities of fruit in terms of servings is healthy because fruit has fiber and it is more difficult to over eat. It is filling because it has fiber and you chew it unlike juice.

The serving for a cookie is two small cookies versus one orange. You get nutritional benefit from the orange. You will probably be more satiated after eating the orange. You can easily eat six Oreo cookies in a short period of time and it would be difficult to eat three or four oranges in a short period of time. You don’t binge on whole fruit in the same manner.

Fruit is part of a healthy balanced diet for most people. Sugar isn’t poison for most people but it generally doesn’t provide any nutritional benefit except calories and should only be a relatively small part of a balanced diet.
Back to top

Amarante




 
 
 
 

Post Sun, Jan 23 2022, 11:04 am
amother [ Plum ] wrote:
Whole grains have more nutritional value. They have natural vitamins and minerals in them. And fiber. White bread was processed so much that it was stripped of all its nutrition and fiber.
There is a huge difference between eating a piece of sprouted whole grain bread and a piece of white bread. One is a healthy food and one is junk food.
When it comes to sugar, Cane sugar is better than white sugar. White sugar was overly processed and stripped of all its natural nutrition. Cane sugar is not healthy. However, using cane sugar, raw honey, and other natural sweet sources is far better health wise than using white sugar.
Also, even worse than white sugar is high fructose corn syrup. If you see that ingredient, it’s best to avoid it.


Cane sugar is nutritionally the same as any other sugar. It is called cane sugar because it comes from sugar cane and not sugar beets. There is very little value value in any form of sugar whether it is derived from canes or beets.

The only reason to use brown sugar is that chemically it has a different result when baking and also some people prefer the taste when sprinkled on something. You can change the ratio of brown sugar and white sugar in a chocolate chip cookie and see which you prefer. And of course using bread flour, AP flour or pastry flour will cause a different texture but nutritionally they will all be the same. Whole wheat is marginally better but whole wheat cakes and cookies still aren’t particularly healthy. Whole grain bread is different since bread is mostly wheat and doesn’t have high levels of sugar or fat so it is equivalent to eating a healthy whole grain cereal versus Count Chocula 😂🤷‍♀️
Back to top

amother




Antiquewhite
 

Post Sun, Jan 23 2022, 11:15 am
Amarante wrote:
Cane sugar is nutritionally the same as any other sugar. It is called cane sugar because it comes from sugar cane and not sugar beets. There is very little value value in any form of sugar whether it is derived from canes or beets.

The only reason to use brown sugar is that chemically it has a different result when baking and also some people prefer the taste when sprinkled on something. You can change the ratio of brown sugar and white sugar in a chocolate chip cookie and see which you prefer. And of course using bread flour, AP flour or pastry flour will cause a different texture but nutritionally they will all be the same. Whole wheat is marginally better but whole wheat cakes and cookies still aren’t particularly healthy. Whole grain bread is different since bread is mostly wheat and doesn’t have high levels of sugar or fat so it is equivalent to eating a healthy whole grain cereal versus Count Chocula 😂🤷‍♀️
I think by cane sugar she means turbinado sugar. It’s minimally processed cane sugar as opposed to refined white cane sugar.
Back to top

amother




Antiquewhite
 

Post Sun, Jan 23 2022, 11:17 am
Esty 4 wrote:
After reading this, I'm afraid I'm eating too much fruit... How much is still healthy?
All depends on what you have going on. Are you insulin resistant? Trying to lose weight? Have high triglycerides? Yeast overgrowth or Sibo? In general fruit sugars don’t compare to refined sugars at all, but there are instances where even fruit sugars should be consumed in extreme moderation or not at all
Back to top

Amarante




 
 
 
 

Post Sun, Jan 23 2022, 11:25 am
amother [ Antiquewhite ] wrote:
I think by cane sugar she means turbinado sugar. It’s minimally processed cane sugar as opposed to refined white cane sugar.


It is just sugar with no nutritional benefit other than being marketing as being less processed.

It is all processed and didn’t have any significant nutrition even as a plant.

It is a distinction without a difference but is marketed as being less processed which is meaningless 🤷‍♀️

I am not anti sugar as I think for a normally healthy person it can have a place in a balanced diet. But it is all sugar whatever it is called and there is no sweetener than has any kind of significant nutritional advantage or benefit.
Back to top

amother




Antiquewhite
 

Post Sun, Jan 23 2022, 11:32 am
Amarante wrote:
It is just sugar with no nutritional benefit other than being marketing as being less processed.

It is all processed and didn’t have any significant nutrition even as a plant.

It is a distinction without a difference but is marketed as being less processed which is meaningless 🤷‍♀️

I am not anti sugar as I think for a normally healthy person it can have a place in a balanced diet. But it is all sugar whatever it is called and there is no sweetener than has any kind of significant nutritional advantage or benefit.
Probably not additional nutritional benefits but slightly less harmful being that it’s not bleached?

Didn’t have significant nutrition as a plant — is the sugar cane an exception to all other plants and fruits?
Back to top

amother




Latte
 

Post Sun, Jan 23 2022, 12:44 pm
I bake with honey.
At least it has nutritional value.
It is also more expensive so it's eaten in limited amounts Very Happy
Back to top

BubblyBubby




 
 
 
 

Post Sun, Jan 23 2022, 2:25 pm
vintagebknyc wrote:
The only benefit to whole grains, scientifically, is that people who switch to them lose more weight. BUT maybe that’s because they’re not as delicious? I don’t know, I don’t know the science, only the stats

Well: the calorie counts on the packages are not about calories in digestion, but about calories in burning with a flame.

So we don't really know how many calories we absorb from each food, we just know how many calories it contains, that could be absorbed as a maximum... that doesn't mean we really absorb them.

This might be the reason why it is recommended (as long as there is no specific counter-indication) to eat food with fibers.

We know we don't absorb fibers. So it could well be that we absorb much less calories from whole grain flour than from white flour.

Another thing is that whole grain flour seems to fill up more, so for the same quantity of flour eaten, you have more satiety from whole grain.

And it seems that since whole grain takes longer to digest, it will take more time to end up in the blood in form of sugar, so the blood sugar levels will increase with a slower slope, not so heigh, and since sugar is not so abundant, less insuline will be released...
Back to top

Esty 4




 
 
 
 

Post Sun, Jan 23 2022, 5:30 pm
amother [ Antiquewhite ] wrote:
All depends on what you have going on. Are you insulin resistant? Trying to lose weight? Have high triglycerides? Yeast overgrowth or Sibo? In general fruit sugars don’t compare to refined sugars at all, but there are instances where even fruit sugars should be consumed in extreme moderation or not at all

I'm trying to loose some weight but can't diet to extremely... I've been replacing snacks like cookies and chips with fruit like mango and grapes...
Back to top

amother




Antiquewhite
 

Post Sun, Jan 23 2022, 5:34 pm
Esty 4 wrote:
I'm trying to loose some weight but can't diet to extremely... I've been replacing snacks like cookies and chips with fruit like mango and grapes...
Cant guarantee you’ll lose weight but it’s definitely a good move. Maybe try low sugar fruits like berries.
Back to top

amother




Aquamarine
 

Post Sun, Jan 23 2022, 6:01 pm
To all the people using honey instead of sugar unless it's raw unprocessed honey it's the same value as processed sugar. Sugar is natural, grows in the ground and is processed. Honey is natural and is processed toounless of course it's not.
Back to top

amother




Iris
 

Post Sun, Jan 23 2022, 11:04 pm
White sugar needs calcium to be processed, so it takes calcium from your body in order to digest and process. This doesn't happen with honey and unrefined sugars, which is why processed white sugar and sugar from a fruit you are eating are not the same. One sucks minerals from your body while the fruit comes with fiber and minerals and gives something to your body instead. It's not just about calories, it's much more complex. White sugar also stimulates tumor growth.
Back to top

Optione




 
 
 
 

Post Tue, Jan 25 2022, 7:15 am
The one benefit of using different sugars or sweeteners (not artificial) is the difference in their glycemic index.
Back to top
Previous  1, 2 Recent Topics

Page 2 of 2 View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Women's Health -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise

Related Topics Replies Last Post
Im "following" certain threads I post on, and not getting
by amother
6 Yesterday at 7:49 pm View last post
White shirts with yellow sweat stains 3 Yesterday at 2:34 pm View last post
Anyone know people helped by "Achieve IOP" in Monsey?
by amother
0 Tue, Aug 09 2022, 3:53 pm View last post
Subbing flour with white spelt flour 2 Tue, Aug 09 2022, 12:07 pm View last post
"The Secret" and" The Secret To Miraculous Salvations"
by amother
4 Tue, Aug 09 2022, 11:45 am View last post