Home

Love my baby but don't like constantly entertaining him

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants


View latest: 24h 48h 72h


amother




OP
 

Post Sun, Jan 23 2022, 11:08 am
I love my baby to pieces
he is 1 years old
but I don't like sitting on the floor with him and playing
or having him around the whole time
that sounds really bad and I feels so guilty
I enjoy giving him cuddles, kissing him,making jokes, blabbering to him in his language, read him the occasional story, bathing him or settling him with a few toys and then letting him do his thing
but feel it's a bit much to have him around the whole morning
I hate feeling guilty
I know I'm doing a good job but sometimes I feel like I'm doing a bad one
Like why do I get excited to have me time when he goes to the babysitter
I know this guilt is not good for him either
Any advice from experienced mothers out there would be gratefully welcomed
I just want to feel at peace with myself
Back to top

BrisketBoss




 
 
 
 

Post Sun, Jan 23 2022, 11:14 am
I don't do this. Like you I enjoy cuddling and kissing, a short game or story. But certainly my attention is not on my babies the whole time they are awake. I do my own thing a lot of the time! This doesn't make you a bad mother at all. You're actually giving your child a gift IMO. If he can't expect you to constantly entertain him then he will be forced to entertain himself, a lifelong skill.
Back to top

mushkamothers




 
 
 
 

Post Sun, Jan 23 2022, 11:16 am
You don't have to entertain your baby! And you're allowed to want me time.
I just had a whole convo on this topic, feel free to watch.
https://www.instagram.com/tv/C....._link
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post Sun, Jan 23 2022, 11:20 am
Thanks. I grew up in a small family without babies or nieces and nephews. So I am really not knowledgable about what's normal and how much time is normal to spend entertaining your baby
Back to top

amother




Glitter
 

Post Sun, Jan 23 2022, 11:22 am
Get a job and take him to the sitter where he will have company his own age.
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post Sun, Jan 23 2022, 11:22 am
mushkamothers wrote:
You don't have to entertain your baby! And you're allowed to want me time.
I just had a whole convo on this topic, feel free to watch.
https://www.instagram.com/tv/C....._link


I don't have instagram. Thank you though
Back to top

BrisketBoss




 
 
 
 

Post Sun, Jan 23 2022, 11:23 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks. I grew up in a small family without babies or nieces and nephews. So I am really not knowledgable about what's normal and how much time is normal to spend entertaining your baby


I would say that I don't think of anything I do as time spent 'entertaining.' I take moments of connection. I know it's important to have eye contact, to be silly sometimes, to let them hear plenty of language. But if I decide that their current need is simply to be occupied in activity, I put them on the floor and let them do whatever.
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post Sun, Jan 23 2022, 11:24 am
amother [ Glitter ] wrote:
Get a job and take him to the sitter where he will have company his own age.


I do work and he does go out
I'm talking about the times when he is home
Back to top

mushkamothers




 
 
 
 

Post Sun, Jan 23 2022, 11:26 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks. I grew up in a small family without babies or nieces and nephews. So I am really not knowledgable about what's normal and how much time is normal to spend entertaining your baby


Watch my live above, that topic starts about 10 minutes in. You don't need Instagram to watch in the browser. I'm having a free class coming up too (I don't mean to self promo just if you're interested, I'll put an ad here in a few days anyways)

If you prepare a baby safe space and have toys then he can play himself. You don't have to constantly entertain.
I
If you want to read a book - Your Self Confident Baby by Magda Gerber is great


Last edited by mushkamothers on Sun, Jan 23 2022, 11:28 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post Sun, Jan 23 2022, 11:26 am
BrisketBoss wrote:
I would say that I don't think of anything I do as time spent 'entertaining.' I take moments of connection. I know it's important to have eye contact, to be silly sometimes, to let them hear plenty of language. But if I decide that their current need is simply to be occupied in activity, I put them on the floor and let them do whatever.


Makes lots of sense
I do the same
Sometimes I just wonder if I'm putting him on the floor and entertain himself because I can't be bothered.
Back to top

BrisketBoss




 
 
 
 

Post Sun, Jan 23 2022, 11:27 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Makes lots of sense
I do the same
Sometimes I just wonder if I'm putting him on the floor and entertain himself because I can't be bothered.


Here's a parenting secret.

A lot of the time, the right thing to do is actually the easiest thing to do.
Back to top

BrisketBoss




 
 
 
 

Post Sun, Jan 23 2022, 11:36 am
I see so many posts from parents of older children who are at their wits' end because the children won't amuse themselves. And they're old enough to do that now, right? They're not little babies anymore who have to be entertained all the time, right? Wrong. You have to set these expectations up early in life or it won't magically change with age. (I mean, you can always change the pattern but it's harder and not automatic.) The reality is that when their children were little babies, they would have been capable had they been trusted to be.
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post Sun, Jan 23 2022, 11:44 am
BrisketBoss wrote:
I see so many posts from parents of older children who are at their wits' end because the children won't amuse themselves. And they're old enough to do that now, right? They're not little babies anymore who have to be entertained all the time, right? Wrong. You have to set these expectations up early in life or it won't magically change with age. (I mean, you can always change the pattern but it's harder and not automatic.) The reality is that when their children were little babies, they would have been capable had they been trusted to be.


I think my subject line is misleading
I really don't constantly entertain my baby
I just feel like I'm selfish for wanting to get on with my own things
I always make sure he has toys etc
Let's say I want to bake so I'll put him in the highchair next to me so he can watch as he enjoys it (and he'll get to the oven which is dangerous) but I feel like I'm always putting my wants first, eg I want to bake. Maybe it would be better for me to do something for HIM
Honestly I need to get a life and not be so worried but I'm not sure how
Back to top

BrisketBoss




 
 
 
 

Post Sun, Jan 23 2022, 11:46 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I think my subject line is misleading
I really don't constantly entertain my baby
I just feel like I'm selfish for wanting to get on with my own things
I always make sure he has toys etc
Let's say I want to bake so I'll put him in the highchair next to me so he can watch as he enjoys it (and he'll get to the oven which is dangerous) but I feel like I'm always putting my wants first, eg I want to bake. Maybe it would be better for me to do something for HIM
Honestly I need to get a life and not be so worried but I'm not sure how


No no no no.

Living in an adult-centered home is actually great for children. Children do not need child-centered activities. They are naturally interested in what you're doing and want to learn and practice their place in the family. You're doing great!!

When I want to spend quality time with my toddler, I'm like here. Come help me put these clothes away. She's thrilled.
Back to top

mushkamothers




 
 
 
 

Post Sun, Jan 23 2022, 12:04 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I think my subject line is misleading
I really don't constantly entertain my baby
I just feel like I'm selfish for wanting to get on with my own things
I always make sure he has toys etc
Let's say I want to bake so I'll put him in the highchair next to me so he can watch as he enjoys it (and he'll get to the oven which is dangerous) but I feel like I'm always putting my wants first, eg I want to bake. Maybe it would be better for me to do something for HIM
Honestly I need to get a life and not be so worried but I'm not sure how


He wants to be involved in real life... you're not doing anything wrong. What Brisket boss said. Also he can play in your cabinets at your feet but watching from high chair is fine too. You can also Involve him, let him feel the whisk or taste the batter or help you pour etc. But just doing your thing and narrating as you do it like pretend you're the announcer at a sporting event (now I crack the egg, now I whisk the egg) and letting him watch is so valuable.
Back to top

amother




Peachpuff
 

Post Sun, Jan 23 2022, 4:01 pm
My kids are big now but I was like this. I just took them out wherever I went and talked to them a lot about what was going on, showed them things out and about, etc. play dates with other moms/babies is good, and bouncy/entertainment toys. I had a little gate enclosure for one kid and filled it with books and toys and she was good there for 20-30 min while I did whatever nearby. I also worked, which helps.
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post Sun, Jan 23 2022, 5:18 pm
amother [ Peachpuff ] wrote:
My kids are big now but I was like this. I just took them out wherever I went and talked to them a lot about what was going on, showed them things out and about, etc. play dates with other moms/babies is good, and bouncy/entertainment toys. I had a little gate enclosure for one kid and filled it with books and toys and she was good there for 20-30 min while I did whatever nearby. I also worked, which helps.


really appreciate all the responses.
Peachpuff - you felt like me?
I definitely find it easier when it's nice weather outside
When I have to stay indoors because of the cold, it gets harder
Back to top

amother




Gray
 

Post Fri, Jan 28 2022, 7:38 am
OP, it sounds like you’re doing a great job of parenting. What you feel is a case of mom guilt for h having your own personal needs and wants. Your child has to learn that Mom is a human being who has a life, needs, desires, and gosh.. even just alone time sometimes. My mom was a martyr and it backfired on her. You’re including your child in daily activities, interacting with him, loving him up... and also wise enough to give yourselves time to have your own space. Those are all hugely important. Kol hakavod.
Back to top

amother




Nasturtium
 

Post Fri, Jan 28 2022, 8:01 am
First time mom here too.
What do I do if my baby does not let me leave him on his own. He does not know how to play by himself for more than three minutes maximum. He has plenty of toys and I set him up with all of his favorite toys and the second I shift my attention away from him he starts crying and making me hold him. Any advice for that? I wish I could do other stuff with him around but I just cant. He’s 15 months. I feel like this should not be happening. Don’t get me wrong I spend all day with him. But it would be nice to cook dinner before my husband gets home etc…
Back to top
Recent Topics

Page 1 of 1 View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants

Related Topics Replies Last Post
Baby doesn’t nap
by amother
10 Yesterday at 6:06 pm View last post
Recurrent uti in baby/ urologist
by amother
3 Yesterday at 5:51 pm View last post
Monsey Mani/Pedi + Baby OR HOME OR LATE HRS
by amother
37 Yesterday at 9:47 am View last post
I just need chizzuk baby with eczema and allergies
by amother
5 Yesterday at 9:39 am View last post
6 year old daughter constantly
by amother
3 Yesterday at 9:08 am View last post