Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Is "money can't buy happiness" advice for poor or for rich?
1  2  Next

Does "money can't buy happiness" mean "poor people don't need money" or "rich people don't need more money"?
"Poor people don't need money"  
 6%  [ 6 ]
"Rich people don't need more money"  
 18%  [ 16 ]
Both  
 31%  [ 28 ]
Neither  
 40%  [ 36 ]
Other  
 2%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 88

chanatron1000

Post Sun, Jan 23 2022, 1:04 pm
Lately, I've heard people mocking the phrase, saying that of course you need money for food, shelter, medical care, etc. to be happy. But I've always understood it to be intended for people who are financially secure and still spend all of their time in the pursuit of more money, telling them that maybe they've reached a point of diminishing returns on money and should spend some time with their families or something.

sequoia

Post Sun, Jan 23 2022, 1:05 pm
I WOULDN’T KNOW

BatyaEsther

Post Sun, Jan 23 2022, 1:12 pm
I don’t think it means either one. I think it goes to show you that having more money, when you are comfortable, is not going to make for more happiness. And I think it says that just because someone is poor, doesn’t mean that they’re not happy and don’t have joy in their life.

Goes with phrases like there’s more to life than money, and the importance of being happy with what you have

happy chick

Post Sun, Jan 23 2022, 1:17 pm
איזהו עשיר השמח בחלקו. Everyone needs money for daily living, but happiness is not dependent on how much money a person has.

jellybelly94

Post Sun, Jan 23 2022, 1:20 pm
Yes it means that having the money in itself isn't what bring true happiness. Obvs in reality money helps w the physical but one should never think tht if we only had money for this this and this life wud be ammmmaZing. Nopes not true it's internal happiness tht counts in the end. So many wealthy ppl still unhappy and maybe even more unhappy bec of money. N btw jst from personal experience I have actually found in my life tht wen things were harder to afford n we saved for it and then got it my appreciation and joy of getting tht thing was oh so much greater Smile

SuperWify

Post Sun, Jan 23 2022, 1:26 pm
My favorite take on that line-

“Money can’t buy happiness, but it’s sure more comfortable to be crying in the latest model plush Lamborghini then on a hard bicycle seat.”

987gold

Post Sun, Jan 23 2022, 1:36 pm
There people with money that have horrible marriages.
There are people with money who child is alcoholic druggie, suicidal, anorexic, BPD, etc.
Money helps. But, wont help save a dealthly ill child rachmana litzlan, etc

imacoolmom

Post Sun, Jan 23 2022, 1:40 pm
I’ve never been poor or rich but what I’ve found is that having enough $ brings you peace of mind, can buy comforts but it won’t fill the void inside you if you’re not truly happy. What I mean is material things cannot fulfill you spiritually because they are 2 separate domains. On the other hand, if someone is so poor they are constantly stressed and busy trying to survive, how can that person feel happiness. It s a very complex topic.

Genius

Post Sun, Jan 23 2022, 1:41 pm
SuperWify wrote:
My favorite take on that line-

“Money can’t buy happiness, but it’s sure more comfortable to be crying in the latest model plush Lamborghini then on a hard bicycle seat.”

Yes!!
Happiness comes from the inside. It’s a choice we make. But let’s not deny the fact that money is comfortable and opens many a door.

SuperWify

Post Sun, Jan 23 2022, 1:45 pm
987gold wrote:
There people with money that have horrible marriages.
There are people with money who child is alcoholic druggie, suicidal, anorexic, BPD, etc.
Money helps. But, wont help save a dealthly ill child rachmana litzlan, etc

This is why that quote is stupid. Many poor people have these issues as well.

einkorn

Post Sun, Jan 23 2022, 1:45 pm
money is not as good as its bad not to have it.

Flip Flops

Post Sun, Jan 23 2022, 1:49 pm
imacoolmom wrote:
I’ve never been poor or rich but what I’ve found is that having enough $ brings you peace of mind, can buy comforts but it won’t fill the void inside you if you’re not truly happy.

Exactly this. Happiness has to come from you, money won't provide it.
One who has $100 wants $200.

sequoia

Post Sun, Jan 23 2022, 3:22 pm
If I had money, I could take care of my health.

Because of the lack of money (I often can’t buy food and water after I’ve paid the utility bills — forget medication and therapies), I’m probably going to die soon. Not to mention that the stress of no money is literally killing my heart and blood vessels.

Money would prolong my life.

sabertooth

Post Sun, Jan 23 2022, 3:30 pm
It’s advice for everyone. You aren’t a rich person or a poor person; money comes and goes. It doesn’t define who you are.
When you realize you can’t buy happiness- you have to work towards it, you will work towards it. (If you want it)

ra_mom

Post Sun, Jan 23 2022, 3:41 pm
It just means happiness comes from within and money can't take its place.

English3

Post Sun, Jan 23 2022, 3:47 pm
Money is a gift that people would love to get, happiness is a state you choose to be in.

English3

Post Sun, Jan 23 2022, 3:49 pm
sequoia wrote:

Because of the lack of money (I often can’t buy food and water after I’ve paid the utility bills — forget medication and therapies), I’m probably going to die soon. Not to mention that the stress of no money is literally killing my heart and blood vessels.

Life is a gift from Hashem and only He can take it.

lamplighter

Post Sun, Jan 23 2022, 3:57 pm
It just means that regardless of financial status happiness is in your hands.

Money can buy a lot of comforts and convienences, having enough money can reduce stress and improve your resources, but it doesn't make you a happier person. Wealth is not a character trait, simchas chaim is.

imacoolmom

Post Sun, Jan 23 2022, 4:01 pm
sequoia wrote:

That’s what I meant in my post-someone without $ for basic life is suffering all the time there’s no time for happiness. I hope your situation improves soon and you live a long healthy life

Privet!

Post Sun, Jan 23 2022, 4:11 pm
"money can't buy happiness"
Yeah but if you gotta choose between rice and rent you're gonna be stressed
If you're wealthy you can afford some therapy, and hopefully some tzedakah
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics