Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
My poor eczema baby
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 23 2022, 7:35 pm
My baby's eczema is flaring up terribly.
Is there something to put in the bathwater and let him soak in it?
Also, it's mostly on his face. His pillow is all bloody because he keeps scratching his face. Sad
Any advice is helpful.

amother
Tanzanite

Post Sun, Jan 23 2022, 7:47 pm
I feel your pain - one of my babies had eczema and scratched herself raw. It was so awful. Our pediatrician prescribed Derma-Smoothe and her full-body scales (she literally looked like a red scaly fish) were gone in 24 hours. I know it isn’t helpful in this very moment, just something to look into if this is a consistent issue. Good luck to you

Mindfully

Post Sun, Jan 23 2022, 7:50 pm
Did you try putting on mittens so baby doesn't scratch so badly?

cuties' mom

Post Sun, Jan 23 2022, 7:51 pm
Don't use any soap that lists fragrance as an ingredient. Put Vaseline or aquafor on as soon as he comes out of the bath.

hodeez

Post Sun, Jan 23 2022, 7:52 pm
Oatmeal bath

amother
Antiquewhite

Post Sun, Jan 23 2022, 7:52 pm
Have you experimented with dropping certain foods? When we stopped dairy my daughter's excema improved a ton to the point where we can manage with regular moisturizers. With my other daughter is was mangos that caused flare ups

runninglate

Post Sun, Jan 23 2022, 7:53 pm
hodeez wrote:
Oatmeal bath
Many kids with eczema are allergic to oatmeal. I was told not to use anything with food in it.
Also, make sure you’re moisturizing with cream as opposed to lotion. Cerave was recommended by an allergist.

browser

Post Sun, Jan 23 2022, 8:08 pm
Put magnesium flakes in the bath

snowflake1

Post Sun, Jan 23 2022, 8:11 pm
Ouch that is so hard. We had this with two of our kids I don’t know how young you can use it but our doctor prescribed
Mometasone FUROATE Ointment
He said not to use it all the time but when we can we use it really works

amother
Narcissus

Post Sun, Jan 23 2022, 8:13 pm
And if you’re local to Manhattan, try Jennifer Collins to look at ingredients in natural things as well. For example coconut based products can cause eczema…

amother
Obsidian

Post Sun, Jan 23 2022, 8:27 pm
Zyrtec ,
Bactroban until scratches heal, moisturizer and humidifier. And nails kept short

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 23 2022, 8:41 pm
Thanks everyone.
OK. He sees an allergist and we have a list of foods he is allergic to. He is not allergic to oatmeal and that is one of his main foods that he eats every day.
The Dr said to put on Vanicream after the bath. And a steroid type thick clear ointment on the trouble spots.

But the last few weeks or months his face, cheeks and chin has been just red and raw, no matter how much cream I put on him. Also his fingers are red and scaly.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 23 2022, 8:42 pm
Mindfully wrote:
Did you try putting on mittens so baby doesn't scratch so badly?

He pulls them right off. He just turned 2.

amother
Forsythia

Post Sun, Jan 23 2022, 8:46 pm
It’s possible your son developed allergy to oatmeal. Maybe cut it out of diet for a while and see if that helps. I think he’s probably allergic to other foods you’re feeding him otherwise the ezcma should have disappeared.

amother
Narcissus

Post Sun, Jan 23 2022, 8:48 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks everyone.
OK. He sees an allergist and we have a list of foods he is allergic to. He is not allergic to oatmeal and that is one of his main foods that he eats every day.
The Dr said to put on Vanicream after the bath. And a steroid type thick clear ointment on the trouble spots.

But the last few weeks or months his face, cheeks and chin has been just red and raw, no matter how much cream I put on him. Also his fingers are red and scaly.

If he is still displaying eczema after you’ve eliminated the food he is allergic to, you may want to explore there chemicals/ natural ingredients in his soaps and detergents.
Speaking from experience…

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 23 2022, 8:48 pm
amother [ Forsythia ] wrote:
It’s possible your son developed allergy to oatmeal. Maybe cut it out of diet for a while and see if that helps. I think he’s probably allergic to other foods you’re feeding him otherwise the ezcma should have disappeared.

Hmm. That would be really hard since he is allergic to almost everything else. He eats oatmeal at least twice a day. Sad

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 23 2022, 8:49 pm
amother [ Narcissus ] wrote:
If he is still displaying eczema after you’ve eliminated the food he is allergic to, you may want to explore there chemicals/ natural ingredients in his soaps and detergents.
Speaking from experience…

I use fragrance free detergent and bath soap..

amother
Dandelion

Post Sun, Jan 23 2022, 8:56 pm
Mix equal parts hydrocortisone, with equal parts bactroban and add to vanicream. Start applying it 4 times a day for 2 weeks, then 3 times a day for 2 weeks, 2 times a day for 2 weeks, 1 time a day for 2 weeks. If okay at that point change to every other day.

Put baby on only cotton clothing. 2nd rinse on laundry. Apply cream as soon as out of bathtub. Cut out the elastic from a pair of toddler cotton tights. Then put it on like a balero cardign at night so baby can't scratch. Mittens or socks will just come off. The only soap I would use in bath is dove white bar soap, use as shampoo too.

Hatzlocha. Eczema is the worst!

amother
Dandelion

Post Sun, Jan 23 2022, 8:56 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I use fragrance free detergent and bath soap..

Make sure its also free of dyes. I like arm and hammer for sensitive skin.

amother
Catmint

Post Sun, Jan 23 2022, 9:00 pm
Poor baby and mom is right
I am also dealing with a baby with eczema
I am breast feeding as db is young I am off of dairy chocolate coconut pineapple chicken and gluten with that there is significant improvement for different people different foods will trigger although dairy and gluten are very common as well as other high allergens
The winter weather plus steam aggravate
I spray a probiotic spray baby biotic which helps with healing
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics