Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Bread machine: does it help?

bread machine:worth it?
definitely worth it  
 46%  [ 12 ]
not worth it  
 26%  [ 7 ]
meh  
 26%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 26

Mommy1:)

Post Sun, Jan 23 2022, 8:51 pm
I cannot make challah without burning or underbaking or messing up on the dough somehow. I cannot make bread for the same reason. I see some good deals out there today on bread machines (2 lb); can anyone tell me if it would help for someone who is hopelessly klutzy with baking like me?

Does it help your household to have it, or is it more of a pain than it's worth?

Thanks in advance!

seeker

Post Sun, Jan 23 2022, 8:59 pm
Depends how badly you want homemade bread. If you really, really, really want homemade bread and yet you can't seem to do it yourself, then sure the machine will help. But personally I decided the bakery is good enough for me. The bread machine bread was delicious but it took up quite a bit of space (I have a small home) and I just didn't get around to using it that much.

I used it for small batches of challah dough that I would bake myself (separately from the machine - it had a setting for mixing and rising the dough and then you take it out ready to shape, rise again, and bake) which was really nice and easy but if you have a burning and underbaking problem then I'm not sure how that would help more than just following a really good recipe with a timer.

luckymom1

Post Sun, Jan 23 2022, 9:01 pm
I use mine all the time. I use it for challa, bread, pizza dough...

PerfectP

Post Sun, Jan 23 2022, 10:19 pm
Can you post links of good deals for bread machines??

RBPetra

Post Sun, Jan 23 2022, 10:28 pm
I love my bread machine for super cheap, tasty, regular bread. For challah it's only really helpful for mixing and proofing the dough. If that's a step you need help with, great, but it isn't helpful for baking if you want a traditional-looking braided loaf

GLUE

Post Sun, Jan 23 2022, 11:46 pm
When I brought my bread machine I was living in a town with out Pas Yisreal bread. We used it all the time.

But, when it broke we were living in a place were the local store sells Pas Yisreal, so there was no pressure to get a new one.

I liked the smell of waking up in the morning to the sent of fresh bread. Fresh bread also taste a lot better then bread from the freezer warmed up in the toaster.

s c

Post Mon, Jan 24 2022, 6:33 am
It doesn't make a large amount but as someone who had RSI years ago I just can't do all the kneading required. The bread machine is literally zero effort. I put it all in which takes couple of minutes and come back 90 mins later to perfect dough every time. I swear by mine.

sky

Post Mon, Jan 24 2022, 7:10 am
I mainly use mine to make dough minimum 1-2 times per week for many years. Like challah dough, pizza dough
I love it for that
Baking bread in it us nice but I rarely do that

lkwdlady

Post Mon, Jan 24 2022, 7:38 am
I’ve been asking about the bread machine for baking challah.
It seems that most people use it for mixing and rising the dough and then take it out of the bread machine to braid. After baking they bake in their regular oven.
From my questioning it seems that it’s fine to bake in the machine but it will look like a loaf of bread, not a challah.
Also, it seems that most people make 2 small loaves of challah out of the dough. If you bake it in the machine, you’ll get 1 loaf.

sky

Post Mon, Jan 24 2022, 7:53 am
lkwdlady wrote:

Also, it seems that most people make 2 small loaves of challah out of the dough. If you bake it in the machine, you’ll get 1 loaf.

I have a 2.5 lb
When mixing dough it can handle 6.5 cups and I get 3 challah from it.
When baking it’s way less flour and it makes one much smaller loaf. Which would be perfect for a family meal.

s c

Post Mon, Jan 24 2022, 8:03 am
I never make bread in it. It's just too small a loaf and not worth it for a large family but using for dough it can easily take 6 cups of flour.

NotInNJMommy

Post Mon, Jan 24 2022, 8:15 am
I only ever used mine when I had it as a cheaper alternative to a proper mixer with a dough hook (so I only used it to mix/rise dough, not bake). It was great for that. Then, I eventually got a Bosch, and used that. And then, I finally just started buying frozen white bread dough, shaping/decorating, and baking it ---which everyone likes just as much and saves me loads of effort (and tbh doesn't really cost more than making challah from scratch).

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Jan 24 2022, 7:32 pm
ihave a dak back in the day and now have a westbend. we use it a lot. it's cheaper and you can control what you're eating.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics