Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Midwinter break for people like me that don't drive,😬

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 24 2022, 1:15 am
My daughters have midwinter vacation coming up. I would love to make it exciting and special. I live in boro park and have no car. My older ones won't appreciate " kids in action " or plaster place. I really wanted to do with them american dream mall. (I checked online I would have to take at least 2 trains and 2 buses) I can't imagine after a long day taking home buses and trains.... I would also love love to take them snowtubing or skiing... They deserve a break.
Basically what do people do that don't have a car ?????
Where can I take them?

amother
Turquoise

Post Mon, Jan 24 2022, 1:23 am
2 trains and 2 buses for several people = $$$

Could you take that money and maybe join up with another family and rent a driver and minivan? You wouldn't need to keep him all day, you could book a different one coming back.

amother
Lily

Post Mon, Jan 24 2022, 1:28 am
I you can’t take a car service or get a ride from someone there are some options here

https://mommypoppins.com/newyo.....a-car

https://mommypoppins.com/newyo.....-city

Amelia Bedelia

Post Mon, Jan 24 2022, 4:17 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
My daughters have midwinter vacation coming up. I would love to make it exciting and special. I live in boro park and have no car. My older ones won't appreciate " kids in action " or plaster place. I really wanted to do with them american dream mall. (I checked online I would have to take at least 2 trains and 2 buses) I can't imagine after a long day taking home buses and trains.... I would also love love to take them snowtubing or skiing... They deserve a break.
Basically what do people do that don't have a car ?????
Where can I take them?

I've done American Dream using public transportation but the American Dream bus was discontinued since COVID and reinstated on weekends only. If you would consider doing it on Sunday, public transportation is definitely doable. Take the subway to Port Authority and catch the direct bus (runs every hour) to American Dream. Note that stores are closed on Sunday and the attraction fees are a bit higher.
I've never tried, and not sure it's worth the hassle, but an alternative option may be to take a NJ bound bus from Port Authority (such as to Gotham Parkway) and an UBER from there.

AMothe

Post Mon, Jan 24 2022, 5:14 am
What about staying at a local hotel overnight after a long day at the mall (add to the experience) and come back refreshed the next morning?

amother
Leaf

Post Mon, Jan 24 2022, 5:15 am
I don't drive. I take a taxi or uber.

Amarante

Post Mon, Jan 24 2022, 6:26 am
As others have posted, rent a hotel room and the destination becomes even more exciting and memorable.

Are there any direct buses going to a ski resort? You could call places and see what transportation options are available.

Perhaps you could divide the children and do two separate trips - for example take the young kids to a kid friendly place and take the older kids to someplace memorable to them - for example going to Manhattan and eating in a really nice restaurant and doing something touristy there that is suitable to their older ages.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics