Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Rice alternative

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 24 2022, 9:05 am
what can I serve instead of rice.

my daughter wants rice with her schnitzle but rice has alot of arsenic in it.

what is similar dish to rice?

please don't tell me that a little rice won't matter. I know I know but I still want to know if there is anything similar to make her.

cupcake123

Post Mon, Jan 24 2022, 9:09 am
Ignore this if this is not what you meant but basmati rice in particular has very very little arsenin

amother
Apple

Post Mon, Jan 24 2022, 9:10 am
cauliflower rice. But then you should find a different starch. Healthy carbs are important

amother
White

Post Mon, Jan 24 2022, 9:11 am
Orzo. She might not want to be eating pasta though.

Quote:
Orzo is a type of pasta that's similar to rice in shape, size, and texture. Whole-wheat orzo packs more fiber and protein than regular orzo, which makes it the healthier choice. Still, it's fairly high in calories, providing about 50% more calories than an equal serving of white rice.

amother
DarkKhaki

Post Mon, Jan 24 2022, 9:11 am
Orzo
Quinoa

amother
Cobalt

Post Mon, Jan 24 2022, 9:12 am
What about the Lundberg rice? Those are supposed to be better.

mha3484

Post Mon, Jan 24 2022, 9:14 am
Trader joes Risoni its made of chickpeas and lentils
Banza make a chickpea rice. Their pasta is surprisingly good tasting.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 24 2022, 9:16 am
cupcake123 wrote:
Ignore this if this is not what you meant but basmati rice in particular has very very little arsenin

really? nutritioninst said ALL rice?

ra_mom

Post Mon, Jan 24 2022, 9:29 am
Arsenic is mostly absorbed by the husk, which is why white rice has much less trace amounts than white rice.
If you want to further reduce the trace amounts from white rice, cook it like pasta.
Bring a large 8 quart pot of water to a boil. Add salt and pour in 1 pound of rice. Cook rice for the time recommended on the package and then drain off the water.

Last edited by ra_mom on Mon, Jan 24 2022, 9:31 am; edited 1 time in total

cupcake123

Post Mon, Jan 24 2022, 9:31 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
really? nutritioninst said ALL rice?

All rice has (very little) basmati has VERY VERY little. Just out of curiosity a nutritionist told you not to eat rice?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 24 2022, 10:18 am
cupcake123 wrote:
All rice has (very little) basmati has VERY VERY little. Just out of curiosity a nutritionist told you not to eat rice?

said that rice has alot of arsenic cos of industrial revolution and its stunts growth in children.

Chickensoupprof

Post Mon, Jan 24 2022, 10:22 am
broccoli/ cauliflower rice

amother
Grape

Post Mon, Jan 24 2022, 11:28 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
said that rice has alot of arsenic cos of industrial revolution and its stunts growth in children.
Lundbergh tests their rice for arsenic . White will be lower than whole grain. I’ve heard their organic basmati is lowest of all, but don’t remember where I heard that. https://www.lundberg.com/faq/product

https://www.lundberg.com/arsen.....ults/

I haven’t been successful cutting out rice for my kids, it’s just too restrictive. We try to limit it somewhat, and we use detox supports all the time so hopefully their body can get rid of most of it. Cauliflower rice is a good sub, though of course the kids aren’t happy with it. I find it very tasty prepared with sautéed onion, pepper and mushrooms and seasoned with coconut aminos.

#BestBubby

Post Mon, Jan 24 2022, 11:33 am
How to get rid of most of the arsenic in rice:

Cook rice for 5 minutes - DRAIN THE WATER!

Most of the arsenic is cooked and drained out.

Rinse the Rice.

Refill pot with water and continue cooking.

Enjoy!

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 24 2022, 1:12 pm
amother [ Grape ] wrote:
Lundbergh tests their rice for arsenic . White will be lower than whole grain. I’ve heard their organic basmati is lowest of all, but don’t remember where I heard that. https://www.lundberg.com/faq/product

https://www.lundberg.com/arsen.....ults/

I haven’t been successful cutting out rice for my kids, it’s just too restrictive. We try to limit it somewhat, and we use detox supports all the time so hopefully their body can get rid of most of it. Cauliflower rice is a good sub, though of course the kids aren’t happy with it. I find it very tasty prepared with sautéed onion, pepper and mushrooms and seasoned with coconut aminos.

ah so you also heard of arsenic in rice.

amother
Grape

Post Mon, Jan 24 2022, 1:15 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
ah so you also heard of arsenic in rice.
Its definitely a thing, but every single food on this planet is compromised in some way, and we still need to eat... and kids don’t do well with too much restriction. So we have to pick Our poison. And support our bodies as best as we can.

doodlesmom

Post Mon, Jan 24 2022, 1:17 pm
Farro.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 24 2022, 1:19 pm
doodlesmom wrote:
Farro.

gonna look into that. thanks.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise