Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Well-written frum memoirs? Or other frum nonfiction?
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 24 2022, 3:27 pm
I'd love some ideas of well-written memoirs, specifically those that would appeal to older teenagers (both boys and girls). Or any other interesting frum nonfiction.

For kids who are somewhat intellectual. So written on at least a high-school level, if not higher. Not like most frum books these days, which are geared to middle schoolers...

Chickensoupprof

Post Mon, Jan 24 2022, 3:28 pm
To remain a Jew

amother
Blueberry

Post Mon, Jan 24 2022, 3:32 pm
I loved Holy Woman by Sara Yoheved Rigler. I'm also interested in finding well-written memoirs or biographies.

amother
Forsythia

Post Mon, Jan 24 2022, 3:33 pm
Go My Son by Chaim Shapiro
All For the Boss by Ruchama Shain. It is technically a memoir (though I'd look for the older, non censored version)
The Way it Was by Hindy Krohn --more anecdotal than a straight memoir but would be very eye opening for a teen of nowadays

Someone on another thread was asking about the Holocaust memoir Alone in the Forest ....I just read a review in the New York Times of all places--it's just been recently reprinted under a new title, I think something like, Mala's Cat? The author is Mala Kacenberg. Another good choice.

jeweled

Post Mon, Jan 24 2022, 3:36 pm
Scent of Snowflowers. Fantastic true story

amother
Papaya

Post Mon, Jan 24 2022, 4:03 pm
Did you try The Memoirs of Gluckel of Hameln?

Its really really old and if your kids are somewhat intellectual, they might find it fascinating to read about what life was like then and think about how things are different and how some things are still the same hundreds of years later.

I second the book by Hindy Krohn. Very well written and an eye opener into another time.

amother
Darkblue

Post Mon, Jan 24 2022, 4:13 pm
Forever my Jerusalem
by Puah Shteiner

A Daughter of Two Mothers
by Miriam Cohen

Both of those are well written memoirs that bring to life places and events your kids might not know much about in a relatable, interesting way.

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Jan 24 2022, 4:14 pm
amother [ Papaya ] wrote:

Its really really old and if your kids are somewhat intellectual, they might find it fascinating to read about what life was like then and think about how things are different and how some things are still the same hundreds of years later.

I second the book by Hindy Krohn. Very well written and an eye opener into another time.

I’m reading Gluckel of Hameln now! I’m finding it quite fascinating.

esuss

Post Mon, Jan 24 2022, 5:08 pm
amother [ Papaya ] wrote:

I second Gluckel of Hameln. If possible look for the more recent translation of chava turniasky. It’s supposed to be a more accurate translation. The original one was condensed and big parts omitted.

amother
Teal

Post Mon, Jan 24 2022, 5:11 pm
amother [ Darkblue ] wrote:
Forever my Jerusalem
by Puah Shteiner

by Miriam Cohen

Both of those are well written memoirs that bring to life places and events your kids might not know much about in a relatable, interesting way.

I love both these books.

Forever my Jerusalem talks so much about events in yerushalayim almost no one knows.

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Jan 24 2022, 5:52 pm
So many great books.
I'll add The 28th of Iyar.
As Long As I Live.

Crookshanks

Post Mon, Jan 24 2022, 6:51 pm
I love the 28th of Iyar. R' Shlomo, about R' Shlomo Freifeld is also amazing.

amother
Forsythia

Post Mon, Jan 24 2022, 6:54 pm
Lieutenant Birnbaum is another good one.

almost

Post Mon, Jan 24 2022, 6:59 pm
I just finished reading As Long As I Live. I really enjoyed it.

out-of-towner

Post Mon, Jan 24 2022, 7:05 pm
They Called Him Mike
Rebbitzen Vichna Kaplan
A Tale of Two Worlds

Amelia Bedelia

Post Mon, Jan 24 2022, 7:12 pm
I really enjoyed I've Been Here Before by Sara Yoheved Rigler. Was written and edited pretty well, quite unusual for a frum book. May not be appreciated by all teens, though.

amother
Forsythia

Post Mon, Jan 24 2022, 7:26 pm
Just FYI, some of the books mentioned here, while good non-fiction or biographical reads, are not specifically memoirs.

amother
Jade

Post Mon, Jan 24 2022, 7:53 pm
amother [ Darkblue ] wrote:
Forever my Jerusalem
by Puah Shteiner

by Miriam Cohen

Yes to both

lilik

Post Mon, Jan 24 2022, 8:05 pm
Subota
Where is the Daughter I Raised-Esther Zirkind
To Remain a Jew

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Jan 24 2022, 8:37 pm
amother [ Forsythia ] wrote:
Just FYI, some of the books mentioned here, while good non-fiction or biographical reads, are not specifically memoirs.

Yes.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room