Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Traveling long car tips with a baby

Beingreal

Post Mon, Jan 24 2022, 9:27 pm
I have 4 kids the youngest going to be 11 months by Pesach. We will be traveling to my parents house which is a 15 hour drive. (flying is out of the question) Whenever we go every stop takes forever and I can't feed her in the car seat due to acid reflux. When is the best time to leave? Night my husband has a hard time driving and I can't drive (No I am not chassidish)

amother
Marigold

Post Mon, Jan 24 2022, 9:35 pm
11 months is pretty old, for an infant. What’s her feed schedule now? (I imagine it is or will be every 3-4 hours?) but you certainly will
Stop that often for bathroomS and leg stretches anyway, right?

Beingreal

Post Mon, Jan 24 2022, 9:40 pm
Yes. But we always leave at 9 am and always get in at 11 at night. Is that normal?

amother
Marigold

Post Mon, Jan 24 2022, 10:02 pm
Beingreal wrote:
Yes. But we always leave at 9 am and always get in at 11 at night. Is that normal?

Sounds fine to me. What’s the issue?

SG18

Post Tue, Jan 25 2022, 1:57 am
Personally, I would leave at 7 or 8 am to get in around 9-10. Otherwise, by the time everyone's settled in, it'll be 1 am before anyone goes to bed.

Elfrida

Post Tue, Jan 25 2022, 3:37 am
Is it worth taking an extra day over the journey and having an overnight stop somewhere? Fifteen hours of driving is really hard for everyone.

You could go a slightly indirect route, and find some park or attraction to spend a couple of hours, then a few more hours driving and stop for the night fairly early. Then go on and have a shorter and easier drive to your parents the next day. If you can spare the time, everyone would arrive happier and more relaxed, and the journey could turn into.a positive event instead of something to be endured.

Beingreal

Post Tue, Jan 25 2022, 5:17 am
I like those ideas. Each stop somehow takes an hour and a half to 2 hours.

amother
DarkViolet

Post Tue, Jan 25 2022, 6:09 am
If you can afford.the travel time, make the trip into part of the vacation. Drive a few hours, stop at an attraction along the way, drive until evening and stop at a hotel for the night. For little kids, a hotel is an adventure in itself. Then, drive the next morning and get to your destination for lunch.

The one hard part of this kind of trip before Pesach is bringing along food. Give yourselves time to clean out the car when you arrive.

amother
NeonBlue

Post Tue, Jan 25 2022, 8:57 am
Beingreal wrote:
I like those ideas. Each stop somehow takes an hour and a half to 2 hours.

Why does each stop take so long? We travel often (not 15 hrs! But around 7-8) and my husband takes the kids to the bathroom. I feed the baby and change him in the car. My husband comes back with the kids. I run to the bathroom and we are on our merry way. 20 min- half hr tops.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics