Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Idea I had
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 25 2022, 6:31 pm
I was thinking to open a business where I would make simple, heimish suppers and deliver them for a good price.

What do you think? Is it a good idea? How much would you pay for such a service?

For ex: a hearty veggie soup with meatballs, spaghetti, salad, and maybe cookies?

cupcake123

Post Tue, Jan 25 2022, 6:35 pm
Yum but I feel like it would be hard to make profitable.

amother
Chicory

Post Tue, Jan 25 2022, 6:39 pm
We have such a thing in our community, but it's not a business it's a chesed, they sell the meals at cost price, and deliver for free.

We also have a lady who does it for a business, it could work. Keep in mind a hechsher, maybe a commercial kitchen etc.

amother
Geranium

Post Tue, Jan 25 2022, 6:39 pm
Yum! Sounds like a great idea tht I'm sure many ppl wud luv either if fam in crisis or after baby or ppl wanna gift tht to someone after baby surgery etc. I'd prob pay anywhere from 35 to 55 but I wonder how much ur profit wud be if also w delivery

amother
Freesia

Post Tue, Jan 25 2022, 6:40 pm
cupcake123 wrote:
Yum but I feel like it would be hard to make profitable.

Cupcake I love all your replies! We must both be foodies:) I feel like we’re the only ones responding to food threads lol LOL

amother
Amber

Post Tue, Jan 25 2022, 6:41 pm
Sounds amazing but I agree it'll be hard to be profitable.

I think up to $10-12 a person would be reasonable, after that I'd be more hesitant to order. And would I be able to order at 530 when I realize supper isn't happening? Or it'd need to have been planned from the day before?

amother
Offwhite

Post Tue, Jan 25 2022, 6:45 pm
This is a great idea! I would buy supper from you probably once a week (hard pregnancy.)
My family once hired someone to make food like this for a family member who lives alone and was recovering from surgery. It was such a wonderful arrangement. Make sure to to spread the word! - let chessed org's and shuls know about your business, and also wherever else likely customers get their info.
May your new business be matzliach!

amother
DarkMagenta

Post Tue, Jan 25 2022, 6:56 pm
Following this thread-what community are you talking about?

amother
DarkMagenta

Post Tue, Jan 25 2022, 6:56 pm
amother [ Chicory ] wrote:
We have such a thing in our community, but it's not a business it's a chesed, they sell the meals at cost price, and deliver for free.

We also have a lady who does it for a business, it could work. Keep in mind a hechsher, maybe a commercial kitchen etc.

What community has this as a chessed?

amother
Aqua

Post Tue, Jan 25 2022, 6:57 pm
I’d love such a service. My family hates takeout and when I can’t cook due to circumstances, I’m stuck.

mushkamothers

Post Tue, Jan 25 2022, 7:09 pm
Another option if you like cooking is to be a personal chef. That was the best postpartum gift. Someone came into my kitchen and cooked for a week. My ingredients, my dishes. Worth every penny.

Flip Flops

Post Tue, Jan 25 2022, 7:16 pm
This is like a personal chef.
I think it could be a really nice idea, though you'd have to find out if it could really be profitable. If you charge too much I don't think people will be interested.
Also, you need to factor in kashrus/hashgacha (funny that we just had a thread discussing this).
Depending on your community, if you want to expand you may need a hashgacha in order for people to trust you. This would cost you a lot as you may have to have a separate kitchen...

amother
Strawberry

Post Tue, Jan 25 2022, 7:19 pm
Be sure to look into health requirements for such a business in your state.

amother
Dimgray

Post Tue, Jan 25 2022, 7:21 pm
If you did gluten free options, low sugar, Whole Foods I would potentially be a customer.

cupcake123

Post Tue, Jan 25 2022, 7:23 pm
amother [ Freesia ] wrote:
Cupcake I love all your replies! We must both be foodies:) I feel like we’re the only ones responding to food threads lol LOL

Lol!!! I love food!!🥰🙈

amother
Cyclamen

Post Tue, Jan 25 2022, 7:53 pm
Yes it can work. I know someone that does this for a business in nyc area. I don't know how much she charges. She does suppers and also shabbos food.

Simple1

Post Tue, Jan 25 2022, 7:58 pm
I would buy if it's not more expensive than take out and has a hechsher.

iammom

Post Tue, Jan 25 2022, 8:16 pm
Flip Flops wrote:
This is like a personal chef.
I think it could be a really nice idea, though you'd have to find out if it could really be profitable. If you charge too much I don't think people will be interested.
Also, you need to factor in kashrus/hashgacha (funny that we just had a thread discussing this).
Depending on your community, if you want to expand you may need a hashgacha in order for people to trust you. This would cost you a lot as you may have to have a separate kitchen...

It’s sort of like a personal chef but not exactly. Here she can make a triple or quadruple batch of whatever she’s making and then dish it out into portions. She can reach/sell to more people this way.

OP, I would be a potential customer depending on the price. I don’t mind paying slightly more than takeout since it’s homemade and not oily fast food but if it’s a lot more, it’s a wouldn’t make sense for me.

amother
Freesia

Post Tue, Jan 25 2022, 8:23 pm
cupcake123 wrote:
Lol!!! I love food!!🥰🙈

Me tooooo!!! Your in good company. But I wish I didn’t to be honest

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 25 2022, 9:35 pm
Thanks for all your replies! I live in Lakewood...
What about 12$ per person? I guess I would do it small...wouldn't be able to get a hechsher if I'm so cheap and small...
As a chassidish woman, I only cook with heimish hechsheirim so maybe some people would go for it?
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics