Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
What kind of shades for master bedroom

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 25 2022, 7:38 pm
I’d like to get new shades for my master bedroom. I need blackout shades (or mostly light blocking) I’d get roller shades but I have a house right behind mine facing my bedroom. I need to have some privacy during the day while letting the sunshine in. What are my options?

amother
Amaryllis

Post Tue, Jan 25 2022, 7:49 pm
Your best option is the shades that can roll down from the top as well as the bottom. That way you can open them 3/4 from the top to bring in sunlight, but nobody can see in.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 25 2022, 7:54 pm
amother [ Amaryllis ] wrote:
Your best option is the shades that can roll down from the top as well as the bottom. That way you can open them 3/4 from the top to bring in sunlight, but nobody can see in.

I was told only cellular shades are both blackout and can roll down from the top. I don’t love the look of cellular shades so I was hoping I’ll hear of other options

amother
Crystal

Post Tue, Jan 25 2022, 7:54 pm
We got darkening shades that have a day/night option. If you pull one way they're blackout and the other way is light filtering so you still have light but you have privacy.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 25 2022, 8:03 pm
amother [ Crystal ] wrote:
We got darkening shades that have a day/night option. If you pull one way they're blackout and the other way is light filtering so you still have light but you have privacy.

Do you know how they’re called?

challahchallah

Post Tue, Jan 25 2022, 8:07 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I was told only cellular shades are both blackout and can roll down from the top. I don’t love the look of cellular shades so I was hoping I’ll hear of other options

If you don’t want cellular shades, what about a double curtain rod? You can have one set of curtains be blackout and the other set be light filtering.

Congresswoman

Post Tue, Jan 25 2022, 8:07 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Do you know how they’re called?

Zebra shades might be what you’re looking for.
(Not my personal choice though.)

amother
Crystal

Post Tue, Jan 25 2022, 8:20 pm
Oh I think mine are cellular. They're called night/day shades. I think they look fine but maybe curtains are a better option for you.

teachkids

Post Tue, Jan 25 2022, 8:22 pm
We have something similar to https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ho.....aw.ds

Not sure exactly what since they came with the house

amother
Strawberry

Post Tue, Jan 25 2022, 8:24 pm
amother [ Crystal ] wrote:

This. I got mine from a frum blind store. they can advise you even without the actual name:)
I love them but it was kind of pricey.

don't do cellular shades. I have them to. they are so delicate and will need to be replaces very quickly.

seeker

Post Tue, Jan 25 2022, 8:56 pm
Following. Never even heard of cellular shades... I don't know if a double curtain rod would work well with the shape of our windows (It's not a bay window but imagine that type of not working with a straight curtain rod)

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 26 2022, 12:31 am
amother [ Strawberry ] wrote:
This. I got mine from a frum blind store. they can advise you even without the actual name:)
I love them but it was kind of pricey.

don't do cellular shades. I have them to. they are so delicate and will need to be replaces very quickly.

I had a frum guy come measure my windows and he recommended cellular shades. I’m wondering wha other options there are since it seemed like that’s the only one that serves the purpose I need it for

amother
Offwhite

Post Wed, Jan 26 2022, 4:25 am
teachkids wrote:
We have something similar to https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ho.....aw.ds

Not sure exactly what since they came with the house

I just got something very similar but mine are from lowes and they are white. I didn’t think it looked so amazing in the store but it makes the room look very nice.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 26 2022, 1:09 pm
amother [ Offwhite ] wrote:
I just got something very similar but mine are from lowes and they are white. I didn’t think it looked so amazing in the store but it makes the room look very nice.

Those are faux wood blinds. They don’t provide enough privacy once you open it to let the sun in

amother
Winterberry

Post Wed, Jan 26 2022, 1:18 pm
I have a room darkener with a chain to put it up and down and in front of that you can put any nicer blinds/curtains.
Like if you like the zebra shade…

amother
Offwhite

Post Wed, Jan 26 2022, 1:37 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Those are faux wood blinds. They don’t provide enough privacy once you open it to let the sun in

Mine do
I open slightly upwards and the light comes in without anyone being able to see inside. Also you can always push the bottom slats closed while the top ones are open.

seeker

Post Wed, Jan 26 2022, 6:18 pm
amother [ Offwhite ] wrote:
Mine do
I open slightly upwards and the light comes in without anyone being able to see inside. Also you can always push the bottom slats closed while the top ones are open.

I guess it depends on your house. If you live in an apartment building with windows facing, then when you open them upward people above you can see in.

boat

Post Wed, Jan 26 2022, 6:26 pm
Congresswoman wrote:
Zebra shades might be what you’re looking for.
(Not my personal choice though.)

Do room darkening ( blackout) zebra shades exist?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics