Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
"Chill" girls high school
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 25 2022, 10:31 pm
(anonymous because there are people who know me here and for now I want to keep this private)
We live out of town and are looking for high school for daughter, currently in 8th grade since options in our town don't work for her. We are looking for a smaller, warm school that's not modern orthodox but not BY type either. Our daughter is not OTD, but she is not into yiddishkeit and needs a place that would give her some space. Ideally, something in Brooklyn would be great, since we have family and friends there and can visit frequently.
Any ideas are appreciated.

nicole81

Post Tue, Jan 25 2022, 10:38 pm
Nefesh academy
Bnos chomesh if chabad is ok
MO girls school might be a better option than other schools, which are pretty much BY- shulamith
Prospect doesn't have by in it's name but they have by standards and are not warm from what I have heard and experienced.

There aren't really any in between MO and BY schools, especially that are laid back and can help your dd embrace Judaism.

amother
Honeydew

Post Wed, Jan 26 2022, 3:52 am
Bruriah is between MO and BY.

amother
Gladiolus

Post Wed, Jan 26 2022, 6:09 am
Ateres (monsey)

Aurora

Post Wed, Jan 26 2022, 9:26 am
amother [ Honeydew ] wrote:
Bruriah is between MO and BY.

I'd agree

amother
Cyclamen

Post Wed, Jan 26 2022, 9:29 am
Sunsong wrote:
I'd agree

But just because it’s not BY doesn’t mean it’s chill. It’s academically very Rigorous and very regimented just not in the yeshivish hashkafah

amother
Salmon

Post Wed, Jan 26 2022, 9:32 am
amother [ Cyclamen ] wrote:
But just because it’s not BY doesn’t mean it’s chill. It’s academically very Rigorous and very regimented just not in the yeshivish hashkafah

This. It is chilled hashkafically but probably the most academic orthodox girls school there is.

amother
Poppy

Post Wed, Jan 26 2022, 9:48 am
Bruriah or Manhattan High. Both are chilled in their hashkafa but very high in academics. I could be wrong (its been a few years) but I think that the more "modern/chilled" schools automatically have high academics too.

Also from what I've seen with friends/family who went to these schools over the years. Every few years there is a turnover in the crowd.

Aurora

Post Wed, Jan 26 2022, 9:50 am
amother [ Salmon ] wrote:
This. It is chilled hashkafically but probably the most academic orthodox girls school there is.

Respectfully, I'd argue that Ma'ayanot in Teaneck is more academic, or even Frisch, or Ramaz, or SAR.

amother
Khaki

Post Wed, Jan 26 2022, 10:00 am
Sunsong wrote:
Respectfully, I'd argue that Ma'ayanot in Teaneck is more academic, or even Frisch, or Ramaz, or SAR.

Ramaz and Frisch are coed. And much more modern than Bruriah.

amother
Turquoise

Post Wed, Jan 26 2022, 10:01 am
amother [ Cyclamen ] wrote:

Came here to say this. Nothing "chill" about these schools.

amother
Garnet

Post Wed, Jan 26 2022, 10:01 am
What about SKA?

amother
Babypink

Post Wed, Jan 26 2022, 10:24 am
I don’t understand the word “Chill”.

Can you please describe what you are looking for? To me, chill just means doesn’t care.
MO schools have their own Haskafa, one they are proud of.
MO is not some light something else.

Is she interested in learning Gemara from an incredibly learned women who may actually be a Yoetzet Halacha?

Aurora

Post Wed, Jan 26 2022, 10:26 am
amother [ Khaki ] wrote:
Ramaz and Frisch are coed. And much more modern than Bruriah.

My response was just about the academic level - that I'm not sure Bruriah is the most academic, though I respect it very much.

OOTforlife

Post Wed, Jan 26 2022, 10:42 am
amother [ Babypink ] wrote:
I don’t understand the word “Chill”.

Can you please describe what you are looking for? To me, chill just means doesn’t care.
MO schools have their own Haskafa, one they are proud of.
MO is not some light something else.

Is she interested in learning Gemara from an incredibly learned women who may actually be a Yoetzet Halacha?

As I understand it, OP is looking for a school that teaches and has BY values, but that doesn't enforce too many rules on the girls or preach too heavy handedly.

Chayalle

Post Wed, Jan 26 2022, 10:47 am
Ateres sounds like a good option to look into

amother
Babypink

Post Wed, Jan 26 2022, 10:47 am
OOTforlife wrote:
As I understand it, OP is looking for a school that teaches and has BY values, but that doesn't enforce too many rules on the girls or preach too heavy handedly.

So not an MO school.

OOTforlife

Post Wed, Jan 26 2022, 10:51 am
amother [ Babypink ] wrote:
So not an MO school.

Right, not MO schools.

mha3484

Post Wed, Jan 26 2022, 10:53 am
Hannah Sacks in Chicago has girls that board and its not MO but not really yeshivish either. Most girls come from the elementary school that is considered the centrist day school option in town. They are getting a new principal next school year. They have tracking if your not a strong student.

Last edited by mha3484 on Wed, Jan 26 2022, 11:03 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Petunia

Post Wed, Jan 26 2022, 11:00 am
Op, is your daughter a strong student?
The answers here are all over the place and if you say where she is academically it would make a difference
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics