Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Please share your white shirt laundry tips!
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 26 2022, 9:59 am
Hi,

I can't seem to keep my husband's white shirts nice looking. They always look a bit grey, and even though they are officially non iron they don't look crisp! I can't afford to send them all to the cleaners. Is there any way to have crisp, starched looking white shirts at home laundry?

Please share your tips and secrets!

amother
Whitesmoke

Post Wed, Jan 26 2022, 10:01 am
I spray the collars and cuffs with shout every time. I don't find the actual shirt turns grey though, maybe get a better detergent?

WitchKitty

Post Wed, Jan 26 2022, 10:02 am
Add a stain remover powder to the wash.

Ihatepotatoes

Post Wed, Jan 26 2022, 10:03 am
I take the Oxi powder and turn it into a paste. I let it sit on it for a bit and then launder it (It will turn warm, don't worry)

ShishKabob

Post Wed, Jan 26 2022, 10:05 am
You can add White Out to the load and let it soak for a few minutes before the load starts. Read and follow the instructions on the bottle. (not whiteout that is used in school, it's a cleaning agent)

scruffy

Post Wed, Jan 26 2022, 10:10 am
I also spray the collar, cuffs, and placket before every load.

I throw in a bleach pack once in a while.

These https://www.target.com/p/cloro.....aw.ds

I like them because they're sealed so I don't have to worry about handling toxic agents.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 26 2022, 10:34 am
Thanks all.
Do your look starched / crisp?
Mine (ok my husband's) look so wrinkly even though they're non iron!

scruffy

Post Wed, Jan 26 2022, 10:38 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks all.
Do your look starched / crisp?
Mine (ok my husband's) look so wrinkly even though they're non iron!

I put them in the dryer for 10 minutes then hang them immediately. That solves a lot of the wrinkling but they're not 100% perfect.

amother
Aubergine

Post Wed, Jan 26 2022, 10:38 am
#1 rule for whites- Never ever wash other colors with whites.
Might be obvious but this makes a huge difference!

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 26 2022, 10:39 am
What's the best spray?
And how long can spray sit on?
Because I only do a shirt load once a week. Could he spray them soon as he takes them off and they sit with the spray until I wash? Or is it better to spray right before washing?

mha3484

Post Wed, Jan 26 2022, 10:41 am
My husband washes his shirts very often so the dinge does not build up. He washes a few shirts every few days. Instead of a lot of shirts once a week. Also he has his own version of house clothes for when he is home and not leaving again for a long time which keeps the shirts nicer looking.

Also he figured out that you need to dry the shirt on extra low for 9 min and then immediately hang up.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 26 2022, 11:00 am
scruffy wrote:
I put them in the dryer for 10 minutes then hang them immediately. That solves a lot of the wrinkling but they're not 100% perfect.

Oh wow - only ten minutes? I keep them in for like 45

amother
Bronze

Post Wed, Jan 26 2022, 11:16 am
I wash shirts nearly every day which really helps.
Too much detergent (building up) can cause greyness. Google and you will see how to clean out your machine by running it on the hottest cycle with vinegar.

StillGrowing1

Post Mon, Jan 31 2022, 10:48 pm
How I do it in Israel with a Bosch Avantixx 7 washer:

I spray the collar and any spots with Vanish Gold and let sit for 5 minutes. Turn the pocket inside out and try to get out any lint (which shows up black when wearing the shirt). I use Persil Colors gel detergent - very little, maybe 1/3 cup? (In the US I used liquid bleach, but you can't do that with European machines - too little water.) I run the Easy Care cycle with the spin on 400 (instead of 1200) with extra rinse.

For starching: after the cycle, mix 2-3 tablespoons of potato starch or cornstarch ("cornflour") in a cup of water. Set the machine to rinse only/no spin (9 minutes), and add the starch water as it is filling. At the end of the rinse cycle, run "empty" on the machine. When it stops, I remove the dripping wet shirts and hang them up on hangers to dry, preferably outside.

They come out about 85% as good as the cleaners. For special occasions/Yom Tov I might splurge and send them out.

B'hatzlacha and Chodesh Tov!

StillGrowing1

Post Mon, Jan 31 2022, 10:53 pm
How I do it in Israel with a Bosch Avantixx 7 washer:

Right before washing I spray the collar and any spots with Vanish Gold, rub it in and let sit for 5 minutes. Turn the pocket inside out and try to get out any lint (which shows up black when wearing the shirt). I use Persil Colors gel detergent - very little, maybe 1/3 cup? (In the US I used liquid bleach, but you can't do that with European machines - too little water.) I run the Easy Care cycle with the spin on 400 (instead of 1200) with extra rinse.

For starching: after the cycle, mix 2-3 tablespoons of potato starch or cornstarch ("cornflour") in a cup of water. Set the machine to rinse only/no spin (9 minutes), and add the starch water as it is filling. At the end of the rinse cycle, run "empty" on the machine. When it stops, I remove the dripping wet shirts and hang them up on hangers to dry, preferably outside. (Watch the floor, as the dripping wet shirts make the balatot really slippery!)

They come out about 90% as good as the cleaners. For special occasions/Yom Tov I might splurge and send them out.

B'hatzlacha and Chodesh Tov!

thesoundofmusic

Post Tue, Feb 01 2022, 12:29 am
my temani friend told me some important things... her kids shrts are always stunningly white:)
1. wash in 90 degrees
2. only shirts- not other whites like undershirts and underware....
hang them up to dry in the sun- the sun bleaches them.
3. I found also that washing them the minute shabbos is over is quite helpful.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 01 2022, 4:48 pm
Bumping this.
Any response on how much in advance of washing I can spray them?
Thank you!

ra_mom

Post Tue, Feb 01 2022, 5:10 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Bumping this.
Any response on how much in advance of washing I can spray them?
Thank you!

Spray them as soon as they come off, before they hit the hamper. The fresher the stain, the better. They can sit with the spray for a few days until you get to washing them.

amother [ OP ] wrote:
Oh wow - only ten minutes? I keep them in for like 45

10 minutes is all it needs to knock out some wrinkles. Then hang up right away for it to dry on the hanger. It shouldn't fully dry in the dryer.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 01 2022, 5:12 pm
ra_mom wrote:
10 minutes is all it needs to knock out some wrinkles. Then hang up right away for it to dry on the hanger. It shouldn't fully dry in the dryer.

Thanks so much!
Can you recommend a spray?
What setting in dryer?

TravelHearter

Post Tue, Feb 01 2022, 5:12 pm
Try not drying them at all- hang them to dry with space in between the shirts
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics