Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
So nice to give each child individual attention!
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 27 2022, 4:13 pm
What is with the unaligned midwinter Vacations? One child ended early today and It was a huge hassle to find a solution, two are off fri-mon, another two next mon-wed. And the school I work in had off this past fri- this Wednesday!!!! Seriously?? Can't all schools at least have the same vacation???? Banging head

adar

Post Thu, Jan 27 2022, 4:26 pm
Years ago the rumor was the schools did that on purpose so families wouldn't travel but it's only harder especially for working parents

amother
NeonYellow

Post Thu, Jan 27 2022, 5:39 pm
adar wrote:
Years ago the rumor was the schools did that on purpose so families wouldn't travel but it's only harder especially for working parents

Which is so rude. If you give vacation don’t tell me how to spend it! My choice what to do with off days.

amother
Valerian

Post Thu, Jan 27 2022, 5:41 pm
adar wrote:

I also heard this reasoning and I think it's an awful thing to do. Parents should be taken into the equation as well.

amother
Junglegreen

Post Thu, Jan 27 2022, 5:45 pm
Only Lakewood does this. Crazy. Someone needs to collect thousands of signatures from parents asking for aligned school breaks and present it to the vaad.

sequoia

Post Thu, Jan 27 2022, 5:46 pm
Why can’t families go on family vacations? Why do schools conspire to prevent it?

amother
Valerian

Post Thu, Jan 27 2022, 5:50 pm
sequoia wrote:
Why can’t families go on family vacations? Why do schools conspire to prevent it?

The schools don't want the kids to go to immodest places. My kids school has a rule that kids can't go to Florida. If anyone goes to Florida, they get suspended.

adar

Post Thu, Jan 27 2022, 5:53 pm
I agree it is very rude and inconsiderate. I don't agree it with it just saying a possible why they do it.

I think they want to control it so they can ease the peer pressure of needing to go away but that's just my opinion.

amother
Amaryllis

Post Thu, Jan 27 2022, 5:58 pm
Which schools? My oldest is in elementary school. Both cheder and bf have off this weekend and my playgroup Morahs are on the same schedule. I know high school and mesivta age have different schedules but once they're teenagers I assume they can watch themselves

amother
Powderblue

Post Thu, Jan 27 2022, 6:01 pm
Bh in my city all the schools are on the same schedule. I can't even imagine the juggling that entails....

sequoia

Post Thu, Jan 27 2022, 6:03 pm
amother [ Valerian ] wrote:
The schools don't want the kids to go to immodest places. My kids school has a rule that kids can't go to Florida. If anyone goes to Florida, they get suspended.

1. Don’t frum Jews LIVE in Florida? How can an entire state be immodest?

2. Why do they assume that’s where families will go? They might go to Colorado, Vermont, Barcelona, Tallin, Baden-Baden, or any number of other places on earth.

amother
Cobalt

Post Thu, Jan 27 2022, 6:10 pm
Since Florida looks like Williamsburg NY in the middle of the winter its very "immodest"

seeker

Post Thu, Jan 27 2022, 6:15 pm
amother [ Junglegreen ] wrote:
Only Lakewood does this. Crazy. Someone needs to collect thousands of signatures from parents asking for aligned school breaks and present it to the vaad.

I assure you it is not only Lakewood.

amother
Lime

Post Thu, Jan 27 2022, 6:16 pm
sequoia wrote:

Families can go on vacation. The problem is some families fly on vacation, take the whole family to a hotel and do the theme parks or hit the slopes while others with smaller budgets have a hard time just taking all the kids out for pizza. There’s no way to get everyone to make the same simple weddings and there wasn’t a good reason for that. This is harder because it’s kids. They come back to school after winter break and the ones in the moncler coats have fabulous stories to tell while the ones in the hand me downs look on and feel let down.
Schools try to arrange schedules that make it hard for the vacationers but it’s not working.
Like the outrageous cost of summers at the bungalow with the toddlers while sending the big ones to sleep away camps, the cost of flying the family to Mexico or a ski vacation during winter break is becoming part of the tri state budget. Taking the kids bowling and buying them burgers and fries afterwards is so 1997. No self respecting child will tell their friends that’s what they did in mid-winter break.
On the plus side the families with their last names over the entrance to their kids Yeshiva don’t have to worry about keeping their kids out an extra few days so they could get everyone away at the same time.

seeker

Post Thu, Jan 27 2022, 6:31 pm
sequoia wrote:

1. Don’t frum Jews LIVE in Florida? How can an entire state be immodest?

2. Why do they assume that’s where families will go? They might go to Colorado, Vermont, Barcelona, Tallin, Baden-Baden, or any number of other places on earth.

Read between the lines. When they say "going to immodest Florida" I think it's pretty clear that they want to discourage beach vacations. And that is the go-to that most people look for when they have a chance to escape in middle of winter in a cold place.

But even Colorado etc (yes some families go more in a skiing than beach direction) you have the problem of peer pressure. I think at this point it may be a lost cause but for many years I think it worked. It's only recently that traveling for winter break became a norm that most people do most years. Families whose schools don't overlap are just pulling some of the kids out of school for a couple of days to make it happen. It's very aggravating for people who don't want that lifestyle and can't afford that lifestyle and yet when your kids say "but everyone is going on vacation" they're hardly even exaggerating anymore. Used to be "everyone" was maybe 20% of the class and now depending where you live it could be 80% or more. That's a hard trend to fight when there's nobody left to hang out with at home. We never traveled, and I spent my break with various friends - sometimes a day trip, sometimes window shopping, sometimes baking in someone's house. But if all your friends are in Florida, you're just lonely and stuck. I can't take this week off work and I tried making some playdates for my kids and there is just no one around. They've been reading and drawing and doing arts n crafts and playing with legos for all of a day and a half so far and they're already bored.

seeker

Post Thu, Jan 27 2022, 6:35 pm
sequoia wrote:

You can go on family vacation over yom tov or in the summer when there's no school.

Mind you I'm playing both sides here. I see the value in family time and much more importantly when the schedules don't coordinate it's crazy hard on working parents who don't have a lot of flexibility and days off. I'm just also saying I don't consider family vacations a huge value.

amother
Valerian

Post Thu, Jan 27 2022, 7:26 pm
amother [ Cobalt ] wrote:
Since Florida looks like Williamsburg NY in the middle of the winter its very "immodest"

The rule obviously means that they don't want the kids going to beaches, mixed waterparks, or other immodest places.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 27 2022, 7:44 pm
amother [ Lime ] wrote:
Families can go on vacation. The problem is some families fly on vacation, take the whole family to a hotel and do the theme parks or hit the slopes while others with smaller budgets have a hard time just taking all the kids out for pizza. There’s no way to get everyone to make the same simple weddings and there wasn’t a good reason for that. This is harder because it’s kids. They come back to school after winter break and the ones in the moncler coats have fabulous stories to tell while the ones in the hand me downs look on and feel let down.
Schools try to arrange schedules that make it hard for the vacationers but it’s not working.
Like the outrageous cost of summers at the bungalow with the toddlers while sending the big ones to sleep away camps, the cost of flying the family to Mexico or a ski vacation during winter break is becoming part of the tri state budget. Taking the kids bowling and buying them burgers and fries afterwards is so 1997. No self respecting child will tell their friends that’s what they did in mid-winter break.
On the plus side the families with their last names over the entrance to their kids Yeshiva don’t have to worry about keeping their kids out an extra few days so they could get everyone away at the same time.

This a million times over!! If there's one thing that will drive me out of the tristate area, it's the way everything revolves around vacations, gluttony and materialism.

chanatron1000

Post Thu, Jan 27 2022, 7:51 pm
amother [ Valerian ] wrote:

That's absurd and controlling. The school is supposed to work for the parents.

chanatron1000

Post Thu, Jan 27 2022, 7:53 pm
Not having vacation the same time doesn't just stop families from going away (and make it harder for working parents). It also takes away the option of having a family day at the park or staying in and doing a puzzle with the whole family.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children