Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Vaccinations
Newborn vaccines- which ones are important?
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 31 2022, 11:27 pm
I do vaccinate.
I like to delay
And omit the ones that are unnecessary for our demographic.
Please educate me.
Which ones can I delay?
Which ones should I do on time?

amother
Navy

Post Mon, Jan 31 2022, 11:36 pm
The only vaccine they give newborns are hep b and you can delay it until 2 months.

#BestBubby

Post Mon, Jan 31 2022, 11:37 pm
The Hepatitis B is the most unnecessary one.

Main way to get Hepatitis B is through Promiscuity and/or sharing IV needles with drug addicts.

Your baby is not at risk of Hepatitis B.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 31 2022, 11:55 pm
Thank you for the replies!
And after the hep B?

amother
DarkCyan

Post Mon, Jan 31 2022, 11:55 pm
Vitamin K is not a vaccine but it's an injection, so I'm discussing it here. Given to newborns because it helps their blood clot, which is a little useful for brit milas, but lifesaving in case of a (rare) brain bleed. 100% for the good of the baby, 0% to "protect" geriatric people, so I would definitely do this.

Injecting it into the leg muscle is most effective, but if you are very opposed, you can also have it given orally, but you need 2 doses a few days apart, and generally you will have to get a prescription for, purchase, and give the second dose yourself. If you are forgetful, or don't have a lot of help after birth, I would recommend injection. If it's your first kid and DH has a week off work, oral is fine.

amother
DarkCyan

Post Mon, Jan 31 2022, 11:59 pm
Hep B is one of the few vaccines with no side effects except injection pain.

Nobody wants their kids to use drugs or bw promiscuous, but it happens even to frum kids from good houses, and IMO is worth it to get a vaccine with no side effects. It is given for the sake of the recipient, not to "protect" some scared old politicians. But it can definitely wait.

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Feb 01 2022, 12:02 am
amother [ Navy ] wrote:
The only vaccine they give newborns are hep b and you can delay it until 2 months.

Why only until 2 months?

smss

Post Tue, Feb 01 2022, 12:02 am
I am personally ok with delaying Hep B for a couple months.

It's an extremely safe vaccine so even if by living a frum lifestyle our risk is low I don't see a good reason not to get it, BUT a common side effect is that it can make the baby sleepy. While this isn't dangerous it can make it harder to establish breastfeeding in those first few days.

Of course only if you KNOW you don't have Hep B (cheating happens in our community too sadly 😩)

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Feb 01 2022, 12:19 am
amother [ DarkCyan ] wrote:
Hep B is one of the few vaccines with no side effects except injection pain.

I beg to differ. There's aluminum in it and my kid who reacted to any shots with aluminum developed a life long condition as a direct result from this one.

amother
DarkCyan

Post Tue, Feb 01 2022, 3:20 am
smss wrote:
I am personally ok with delaying Hep B for a couple months.

It's an extremely safe vaccine so even if by living a frum lifestyle our risk is low I don't see a good reason not to get it, BUT a common side effect is that it can make the baby sleepy. While this isn't dangerous it can make it harder to establish breastfeeding in those first few days.

Of course only if you KNOW you don't have Hep B (cheating happens in our community too sadly 😩)

In Israel it is standard to test a woman for STI's including Hep B as part of the 1st trimester bloodwork. Of course it is possible that the mother would contract it later in the pregnancy, but I would personally be comfortable with that tiny risk.

amother
Whitesmoke

Post Tue, Feb 01 2022, 3:50 am
amother [ DarkCyan ] wrote:
Vitamin K is not a vaccine but it's an injection, so I'm discussing it here. Given to newborns because it helps their blood clot, which is a little useful for brit milas, but lifesaving in case of a (rare) brain bleed. 100% for the good of the baby, 0% to "protect" geriatric people, so I would definitely do this.

Injecting it into the leg muscle is most effective, but if you are very opposed, you can also have it given orally, but you need 2 doses a few days apart, and generally you will have to get a prescription for, purchase, and give the second dose yourself. If you are forgetful, or don't have a lot of help after birth, I would recommend injection. If it's your first kid and DH has a week off work, oral is fine.

In my country they do oral, once at birth and once a few weeks later at the well visit.

amother
Whitesmoke

Post Tue, Feb 01 2022, 3:52 am
Ema of 4 wrote:
Why only until 2 months?

2 months is still a newborn.
I remember getting Hep B vaccine as a teenager.

gold21

Post Tue, Feb 01 2022, 3:57 am
None of the vaccines are actually necessary for newborns. Maybe Vitamin K is necessary? Maybe? But probably not?

Why not start the vaccine schedule at 6 months, if you can.

I think that it's beyond ridiculous that you have to actually decline to give the Hep B shot in the hospital cuz the default position is to give it. To a newborn.

Crazy Town.

gold21

Post Tue, Feb 01 2022, 4:10 am
The claim is that there is some risk that the baby could contract Hep B during delivery from a Hep B positive mom. That's why newborns need to receive the vaccine within 24 hours of birth.

Um, Hep B could easily be screened for in the mom, allowing those with Hep B positive moms to be treated accordingly
and those whose moms don't have Hep B to decline the vaccine until later. I mean, duh. Do they really think we're that stupid? Apparently.

amother
Crimson

Post Tue, Feb 01 2022, 4:33 am
So much misinformation in this thread from people who have obviously never read a vaccine insert. K has a black box warning btw.
You can always give later but you can't un-give.

English3

Post Tue, Feb 01 2022, 6:07 am
K kicks in on the eighth day which happens to be the best day to have a bris. The chances of a child having a brain injury are miniscule.

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Feb 01 2022, 6:45 am
amother [ Whitesmoke ] wrote:
2 months is still a newborn.
I remember getting Hep B vaccine as a teenager.

She said you can delay hep b until two months. I thought you could give it until 18, so I was asking why she was saying only until 2 months.

smss

Post Tue, Feb 01 2022, 9:14 am
Ema of 4 wrote:
She said you can delay hep b until two months. I thought you could give it until 18, so I was asking why she was saying only until 2 months.

2 months is when you'll be back at the doctor getting the first round of vaccines, so you can just add Hep B on then.

I don't see a reason to delay it more than that, but yes, if you already have, you could give it later...

amother
Papayawhip

Post Tue, Feb 01 2022, 9:16 am
Definitely do the eye ointment. Vitamin k is a very good idea. Hep b you can delay unless your kid is high risk for some reason

imorethanamother

Post Tue, Feb 01 2022, 9:20 am
I also never did the RSV one.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics