Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Child & Baby Products
Need gate for stairs: between wall and METAL railing

anon

Post Thu, May 01 2008, 9:38 pm
I need a baby gate for my stairs. The problem is that most gates are meant to fit between two walls, but my stairs are between a wall and a metal railing.

I'm looking for recommendations for a baby gate that would work for such a setup.

Thank you!

Last edited by anon on Thu, May 01 2008, 10:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

ffbmom

Post Thu, May 01 2008, 9:56 pm
I just put one in. They drilled two little holes on the wall and mounted the other side (with the railing) without drilling. Check out this website:

http://kiddieproofers.com/cate.....Gates

Mimisinger

Post Thu, May 01 2008, 9:59 pm
Hi anon, you can come see mine if you're interested. I think I got mine at Buybuybaby or babiesrus. It looks like a slide projector. Let me try and figure out how to quote a site.

Also, it depends if your railing is metal or wood. For wood, we drilled into the bottom post, for metal we used zip strips to attach it.

Mimisinger

Post Thu, May 01 2008, 10:01 pm
ok it was: The First Years Retractable Hide-Away Gate from buybuy baby $69.99 - pricey but the only one that worked.

GAMZu

Post Thu, May 01 2008, 10:23 pm
So do you have a wood or metal railing?

flowerpower

Post Thu, May 01 2008, 10:24 pm
I have the same thing, and put in a great gate, I bought it at onestepahead. it was about 60 bucks

Crayon210

Post Thu, May 01 2008, 10:29 pm
I don't know what your gate looks like, but in some cases, a regular pressure gate should be fine.

GAMZu

Post Thu, May 01 2008, 10:34 pm
You can't use pressure gates for the stairs.

Crayon210

Post Thu, May 01 2008, 10:43 pm
Why?

mummiedearest

Post Thu, May 01 2008, 10:52 pm
GAMZu wrote:
You can't use pressure gates for the stairs.

not so. there are pressure gates with swinging doors for this.

GAMZu

Post Thu, May 01 2008, 11:00 pm
Because pressure gates are easier to displace... like when running full speed at it, or driving a bike into it. (Uh, I just thought up those examples randomly, I promise!! Wink)
And if you displace a pressure gate and fall into the kitchen, you get a bumped nose. If you displace a pressure gate and go flying down the stairs... uhhh...

(You will see in all pressure gates' manuals that they are not to be used for stairs.)

Love My Babes

Post Thu, May 01 2008, 11:04 pm
I have a metal railing and I have a regular gate, not attached to the wall. im not sure if its a pressure gate, is that the ones that that hold up themselves with like rubber edges? thats wut I have and it works fine. I paid like 10 dollars in wal-mart.

Love My Babes

Post Thu, May 01 2008, 11:06 pm
gamzu maybe for reasons like those they shouldnt be used at the steps, I agree. but so far BA"H its working.

Crayon210

Post Fri, May 02 2008, 1:47 am
GAMZu wrote:
Because pressure gates are easier to displace... like when running full speed at it, or driving a bike into it. (Uh, I just thought up those examples randomly, I promise!! Wink)
And if you displace a pressure gate and fall into the kitchen, you get a bumped nose. If you displace a pressure gate and go flying down the stairs... uhhh...

(You will see in all pressure gates' manuals that they are not to be used for stairs.)

Oh, okay...I meant the BOTTOM of the stairs.

LOL

cdawnr

Post Fri, May 02 2008, 9:45 am
We have a wrought iron banister, so were int he same situation. If you go to the baby store they have pieces that you can attach to make it work. For the top stair was did two strips of wood on either side of the banister that were drilled togetehr (you can buy this as one of the ones at the baby store, but dh just bought wood). It is not so attractive but it is stable.

The other is something called a Y spindle which we bought for the one we are going to put at the bottom of the stairs when baby starts taking an interest in that, except now I am thinking of going accordian since then my 4 yr old can open it himself.

poemmom

Post Tue, May 13 2008, 1:24 pm
We put the "Configure Gate" (KidCo) around the front of the stairs, like a fence, because of our weird bannister setup. Not sure what yours looks like, but check that possiblity out (avail. on onestepahead.com)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics