Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training
20 month old is telling me that she made.

Rivaa

Post Tue, Feb 01 2022, 11:55 pm
Is she ready to be toilet trained? I don't know if its every time she makes but she says it quite a few times a day, both for #1 and #2. I never trained so young, usually closer to 2.5, but my mom is pushing me... she thinks she's ready.

#BestBubby

Post Tue, Feb 01 2022, 11:58 pm
Does DD ever wake up dry?

Can she stay dry for a few hours at a time?

Read DD a potty-training book, show her a potty and ask her if she would like to make in it.

If DD is interested, it can work.

Before disposable diapers and working mothers, toilet training around 18 months was common.

mushkamothers

Post Wed, Feb 02 2022, 12:01 am
Chap arein!! Take advantage of her awareness bc if you stifle it and pass up this window of opportunity it will take longer and more effort in another year. and what for... it's not too young if it's child initiated.

amother
Bottlebrush

Post Wed, Feb 02 2022, 12:02 am
Mine also does same age but I don’t think she’s ready. She can’t pull her pants up and down yet. She isn’t mature enough to be trusted to go to the bathroom on her own. And she doesn’t show any signs of knowing she needs to go before. I think self awareness is normal but that doesn’t mean they are ready to be fully trained yet.

amother
Amethyst

Post Wed, Feb 02 2022, 12:08 am
Yes now is the time

amother
Tealblue

Post Wed, Feb 02 2022, 12:12 am
Does she tell you before or after? Big difference

amother
Purple

Post Wed, Feb 02 2022, 6:26 am
Mine did and I tried but she so was no ready. Ended up with constipation. On the other hand my son trained really early. So some kids are and some aren’t. I say give it a try and if it isn’t working out put it in hold and try again later (my daughter is 2 and a half now and we are on attempt #2 of potty training).

imasinger

Post Wed, Feb 02 2022, 6:48 am
Like BB says, it used to be very common to begin at this point. Even today, in many cultures, they begin training before the first birthday, and kids are partly or fully trained before their second birthday.

It takes a little longer when they're younger, but as long as you're not cruel about it, there's not much to lose by trying, and a lot to be gained by succeeding.

amother
Lightcoral

Post Wed, Feb 02 2022, 6:49 am
Telling you after doesn't mean she is aware before she goes. The is really young for toilet training. You are welcome to try training, but please, please, please do no potch her or punish her if she has accidents. The same you wouldn't punish her for not knowing Algebra- she has never learned the skill and punishing won't make her suddenly know how.

amother
DarkRed

Post Wed, Feb 02 2022, 7:19 am
So interesting you posted this! Just yesterday my 21 month old dd said to me toilet. I asked her if she needs the toilet. She kept repeating it while holding her diaper. So I brought her! She was giggling away, but definitely didn't make. In my case, she is very much not ready, even though she knows what the toilet is for, because I always talk about diaper, pee, toilet, bathroom etc, to get her used to the ideas.

I agree that you could give it a try! Hatzlacha!

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Feb 02 2022, 7:27 am
It's certainly worth a try, but if she's not ready, don't get upset about it. Just let her have a chance to try again once in a while. It's a process, and not all kids get the whole picture overnight.

Do you let your toddler come into the bathroom with you? I know, that's mommy's safe space, tznius, whatever. I still think that the best way to toilet train is to let your kids watch you, so they are motivated to be a "big kid". They can see that you are calm and that it's not a scary thing to sit on a toilet. It's no big deal. I think that dads should definitely be taking their boys into the bathroom at around potty training time.

Once they get the hang of it, and you can trust them to not play around in there, their natural modesty will ensure that they insist the door is closed while they are on the potty.

If you don't trust them not to goof around, you can go in with them. If they say "Don't look!" (and a lot of them go through this stage), you can say "OK, I won't look." and then turn your back to them. You can peek at them in the bathroom mirror though. Wink

WhatFor

Post Wed, Feb 02 2022, 10:11 am
amother [ Lightcoral ] wrote:
Telling you after doesn't mean she is aware before she goes. The is really young for toilet training. You are welcome to try training, but please, please, please do no potch her or punish her if she has accidents. The same you wouldn't punish her for not knowing Algebra- she has never learned the skill and punishing won't make her suddenly know how.

Omg what in the... you shouldn't be doing this to a child of any age that has an accident! (And you shouldn't be hitting your child, period.)

BrisketBoss

Post Wed, Feb 02 2022, 10:16 am
Not necessarily ready. That's just one of the signs, one thing that paves the way for readiness. Thank her for telling you that she made.

Amarante

Post Wed, Feb 02 2022, 10:17 am
Until there were disposable diapers, the average age of completed toilet training was 18 months and most children seemed to have survived without noticeable emotional damage.

So obviously there is no reason to wait for some arbitrary later date so long as one is willing to accept that it might not be complete smooth sailing and not traumatize or embarrass for any inevitable accidents.

For conspiracy theorists one might say that "Big Diaper" companies were responsible for this change since disposable diapers are expensive - so expensive for some families that their children don't get changed regularly.

I was a history major with a special interest in the kind of cultural history revolving around how people lived - the history of housework; the history of cooking and food etc and so I am fascinated by the history of things like how technology changed child rearing practices

Here is an article on it but if you google toilet training and disposable diapers a lot of articles come up if you are interested

https://theeverydayenvironment.....ning/

#BestBubby

Post Wed, Feb 02 2022, 11:29 am
In the time of 18 month toilet training moms stayed at home.

Training young takes longer and someone has to be very attentive.
So I dont know if a Babysitter with a large group can do it.

An older child usually trains much quicker and us more independent so easier for Morahs to just remind kids to go to bathroom.

Rivaa

Post Wed, Feb 02 2022, 2:20 pm
Thank you all for your responses. I also think it's just self-awareness, I don't think she's really ready. She also asks for a tissue if her nose is running and tells me when her hand is dirty (smeared with food, etc.) I don't want it to take long, I'd rather wait a bit. Maybe we'll try after Pesach

StrongMomma

Post Wed, Feb 02 2022, 6:44 pm
Amarante wrote:
Until there were disposable diapers, the average age of completed toilet training was 18 months and most children seemed to have survived without noticeable emotional damage.

So obviously there is no reason to wait for some arbitrary later date so long as one is willing to accept that it might not be complete smooth sailing and not traumatize or embarrass for any inevitable accidents.

For conspiracy theorists one might say that "Big Diaper" companies were responsible for this change since disposable diapers are expensive - so expensive for some families that their children don't get changed regularly.

I was a history major with a special interest in the kind of cultural history revolving around how people lived - the history of housework; the history of cooking and food etc and so I am fascinated by the history of things like how technology changed child rearing practices

Here is an article on it but if you google toilet training and disposable diapers a lot of articles come up if you are interested

This article is really interesting!

SG18

Post Wed, Feb 02 2022, 7:32 pm
Amarante wrote:

I've been practicing Elimination Communication with my little one since birth, and believe that she'll be potty trained by 18 months.
If your daughter is telling you, it shows that she's trying to communicate her needs to you. I would recommend responding.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training