Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Mishpacha Article on Asperger's Syndrome
1  2  Next

How informative did you find the Mishpacha article on Asperger's?
Very  
 75%  [ 6 ]
Not very  
 25%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 8

Isramom8

Post Fri, May 02 2008, 6:43 am
This week's Mishpacha (April 30, 2008 issue) features a very informative article on Asperger's syndrome - a form of autism that the frum community should know about, because it explains certain unusual behavior of many children and adults that appear basically typical.

By understanding what makes people tick we can learn to accept and appreciate one another with our differences.

Happy reading.

Mitzvahmom

Post Fri, May 02 2008, 7:36 am
my brother has Asperger's

Honestly I never reallynoticed a difference until I had kids..

They noticed right away, but it was mostly in the repeating of things and the constant talking..

My youngest went up to him one day and said, "are you ever just quiet"

Seraph

Post Fri, May 02 2008, 7:41 am
my family is chock full of aspergers. 4 out of 7 immediate family members. would love to read the article.

freidasima

Post Fri, May 02 2008, 8:33 am
My best friend's son has it as well...we became experts as she was researching it...

flowerpower

Post Sun, May 04 2008, 11:03 am
I think it was good, pretty clear cut, but they made it sound so ez, many of em need a lot of help, its not just telling them to focus on other things...some kids are really obsessed with one thing and cant let go, they also have a hard time with change of routine... they also didnt mention if its genetic or not.

chaylizi

Post Sun, May 04 2008, 11:12 am
sleepless-n-ny wrote:
I think it was good, pretty clear cut, but they made it sound so ez, many of em need a lot of help, its not just telling them to focus on other things...some kids are really obsessed with one thing and cant let go, they also have a hard time with change of routine... they also didnt mention if its genetic or not.

I think it is. my parents' friends have a son with aspergers & she has a brother who lives with her parents who is exactly the same. they could be twins.

flowerpower

Post Sun, May 04 2008, 12:59 pm
I know it is, why didnt they mention it though?

Isramom8

Post Sun, May 04 2008, 5:52 pm
It is mentioned. On Page 9 it says, "New studies connect autism and Asperger's with genetic causes."

flowerpower

Post Sun, May 04 2008, 5:54 pm
must of missed it, I wanted to see a whole paragraph on the cause but must of missed it, ok I will go and check it out

bashinda

Post Sun, May 04 2008, 6:00 pm
the only thing I found informative was the concept tht it might not be part of the autistic spectrum at all.

Purplehair

Post Sun, May 04 2008, 8:18 pm
I have been researching Asperger's for the past 10 years. I am not a medical expert, but I do have a son who has (sometimes) been diagnosed as having Asperger's. I say sometimes because there are no conclusive "symptoms" for Asperger's. The guidelines keep on changing, especially for those (like my son) who seem to be on the borderline.
Another thing that I have learnt is that it is inconclusive as to whether or not there is a genetic component to the syndrome.
I found the Mishpacha article informative, but only to the extent that it gave a taste of Asperger's to the reader. Spectrum disorders such as Asperger's aren't so black and white as to their definition, so it is very much out of the scope of the magazine to give a conclusive definition when those experts who have been studying it haven't figured it out themselves.

Isramom8

Post Wed, May 07 2008, 12:48 pm
The Mishpacha Asperger's article can be viewed online using the following link:

http://mishpacha.com/pdfrequest.c/8/88/8/

amother

Post Thu, May 08 2008, 12:15 am
Thanks for the link. As of now linking Asperger and Genetics is extremely inconclusive. I spoke to a Genetic Counselor about Aspergers and there is no genetic component to it.

Seraph

Post Thu, May 08 2008, 4:26 am
amother wrote:
Thanks for the link. As of now linking Asperger and Genetics is extremely inconclusive. I spoke to a Genetic Counselor about Aspergers and there is no genetic component to it.

Is that so? Then do you say it is just a mere coincidence that my father, and three of his children have aspergers? Or that my freinds grandmother, mother, and brother have it?
what would you attribute that to if not genetics?

Isramom8

Post Tue, May 20 2008, 4:44 pm
Read more discussion about this article :

The Haredi World And Asperger Syndrome

http://izgad.blogspot.com/2008......html

flowerpower

Post Tue, May 20 2008, 4:45 pm
Asbergers is sometimes genetic and is part of the autistic tendency. That is my opinion.

amother

Post Mon, May 26 2008, 3:03 pm
sleepless why did you change your name? your baby lets you sleep already so your not sleepless. anyways im having thoughts if my son is ppd or aspergers, im not sure the name of these. but I need tips on how to cope with his issues or how to raise him with care, any good articles on that????

Isramom8

Post Mon, May 26 2008, 3:25 pm
For activities to do with kids who have Asperger's:
http://www.itsamomsworld.com/a......html

For coping with a special needs child in general:
http://www.itsamomsworld.com/s......html

I wrote all the articles in the Coping Skills section, by the way.

Motek

Post Thu, Jun 26 2008, 5:16 pm
Purplehair wrote:
I have been researching Asperger's for the past 10 years. I am not a medical expert, but I do have a son who has (sometimes) been diagnosed as having Asperger's. I say sometimes because there are no conclusive "symptoms" for Asperger's. The guidelines keep on changing, especially for those (like my son) who seem to be on the borderline.

Which makes me wonder whether we are talking about a real "condition" or behavior, within the range of normal.

Isramom8

Post Thu, Jun 26 2008, 6:40 pm
Motek, every medical condition is only considered one because people decide that certain physical or behavioral symptoms are not typical of most people. It's hard to know where to draw the line. At what exact glucose level is a person considered diabetic? It's possible to argue that symptoms of diabetes are within the range of normal for all human beings.

When signs appear with more frequency, intensity and duration than average, a person starts to move into suspicion of having a condition with a name.

The medical field is still grappling with defining the criteria for the Asperger's label. Agreeing on the specifics is a process.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics