Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Music and Performing Arts
Excuse me if this is repetitive, but...
Previous  1  2  3  Next

dena613

Post Sun, Feb 06 2022, 11:04 am
Chorus: "hanicheihu bein einecha" can't be literally "Take it, put it between your eyes".

KEEP IT BEFORE YOU ALWAYS

dena613

Post Sun, Feb 06 2022, 11:11 am
Choirmistress wrote:
To Khaki:
My apologies.
To the next two respondents:
You were right. I guess sometimes I do get overcritical.
To the most recent respondent, and to all others interested:
In Mechapesset Derech, the problematic phrases are:
Tamid itcha (can't be "(I'm) always with you"; more like, "where you're concerned, it's always the case that...");
L'orko shel yom can't be "for the length of the day"; is it more like "eternally"?
Kol kach shelcha can't be "so yours"; more like "It is so like/typical of you"?
T'shalev: is it with a vet to mean "will join, insert, fit together", or a vav to mean "put at ease, make peaceful/tranquil, quiet"?
(Last word of final verse:) Hishtaneh: isn't this a typo by the original lyric publishers, and meant to be "yishtaneh", in future tense?
In Meshorer Harechov, the problematic phrases are:
Second line: is it "tzim'oncha" with a sh'va or "tzimaoncha" with a kamatz?
Third line: Of which of the two is the listener/reader the only one to know the taste: "your thirst", or "the sun"?
Chorus: "hanicheihu bein einecha" can't be literally "Take it, put it between your eyes".
"hu holeich el toch chayecha" also can't be literally "Because it goes into your life".
Second verse: Is "b'derech ain motzei" "On a road nobody can find"?!
Well, folks, that's about it. Without the above problems put into less literal and more idiomatic terms, I can't finish my singable translations. Any help out there?
Thanks in advance.

Meshorer
I believe tzimonech no shva, but why don't you listen to the song?
The thirst, I believe, is what no one else experienced
BECAUSE IT'S WITH YOU/PART OF YOUR LIFE

Choirmistress

Post Sun, Feb 06 2022, 2:06 pm
Thanks, dena613.
That's one down, nine to go.
Regards. On to the next post. (Happy Sunday afternoon, everyone.)

amother
DarkPurple

Post Sun, Feb 06 2022, 2:08 pm
Try popping some phrases into google translate and see what you get. I find it often does a great job.

Choirmistress

Post Sun, Feb 06 2022, 2:15 pm
dena613 wrote:
Meshorer
I believe tzimonech no shva, but why don't you listen to the song?
The thirst, I believe, is what no one else experienced
BECAUSE IT'S WITH YOU/PART OF YOUR LIFE

Thanks, dena613, for the additional info.
Whether it's a sh'va or a kamatz in "tzima'on" (the singular form), it can't end in "ech" because the song is addressed to a male. And yes, I will take your suggestion and try to listen to the song again online through my computer speakers. Not in the next few minutes, though, as I have not even put in my hearing aids for the day yet!
And no, it can't be the thirst whose taste only the addressee knows, because "tzima'on" is masculine whereas "shemesh" can be either masculine or feminine. That one I just figured out by myself by consulting my English-Hebrew/Hebrew-English dictionary.
That last phrase in caps was also very helpful. So thanks for that.

Choirmistress

Post Sun, Feb 06 2022, 2:22 pm
Hi, DarkPurple.
GoogleTranslate? A good job? Based on whose experience with how many tries? I have long given up on both Google and other translation programs. When a computer instead of a person tries to translate, the results are very good -- for a big bunch of laughs. Seriously, the results are literally comical. See what happens when you try a pasuk from the Torah into: English; Italian; Chinese; or Swahili; and then BACK translate to either English or Hebrew. It would make a really fun party game.

Choirmistress

Post Sun, Feb 06 2022, 4:59 pm
Hi, DrMom:
Yes, I did find both of them online, and they both used wording that were useless for the problematic phrases. In fact, one early draft of mine had its authorship published on a Jewish music website without my knowledge or permission, and the poster claimed authorship! Fat lot of help. Sending multiple emails to the website managers didn't help.

amother
Obsidian

Post Sun, Feb 06 2022, 5:23 pm
If you have an I phone- Apple music has translations while you play the song.

amother
Obsidian

Post Sun, Feb 06 2022, 5:34 pm
Would לאורכו של יום be —each and everyday?

amother
Obsidian

Post Sun, Feb 06 2022, 5:42 pm
כל כך שלך
השיר עוד לא נגמר
This is poetic license
The words mean that your song has not ended- she is saying that he doesn’t let anyone near him to get to know him
אתה בפנים- you are inside- as in you are closed off

amother
Obsidian

Post Sun, Feb 06 2022, 5:45 pm
I believe תשלב is join- she is talking about connecting

amother
Catmint

Post Sun, Feb 06 2022, 5:48 pm
tzimoncha is a sheva na

same rule as demaot, dimotcha

amother
Catmint

Post Sun, Feb 06 2022, 5:53 pm
Tamid itcha - it accompanies you all the time
L'orko shel yom - everlastingly
Kol kach shelcha - is a colloquial phrase roughly translated as "it's so you." (like when someone puts on a new outfit and someone says "that's so you")
T'shalev: Context??
(Last word of final verse:) Hishtaneh: isn't this a typo by the original lyric publishers, and meant to be "yishtaneh", in future tense?

Third line: Of which of the two is the listener/reader the only one to know the taste: "your thirst", or "the sun"?
Chorus: "hanicheihu bein einecha" means keep it in mind
"hu holeich el toch chayecha" context???

Please note: very rough translations bc it is all poetic

amother
Diamond

Post Sun, Feb 06 2022, 6:10 pm
I speak Hebrew and so does my husband but honestly your attitude is so off-putting. You're not researching a cure for cancer, take a breather. Get some chocolate, some ice cream or something to relax. And you can say thank you to the people who are actually kind enough to help you, for free! The entitlement, holy guacamole!

Choirmistress

Post Sun, Feb 06 2022, 6:32 pm
amother [ Obsidian ] wrote:
If you have an I phone- Apple music has translations while you play the song.

Thanks, Obsidian, but my new iPhone (don't remember the model number) has so many apps that I have not invested the time in becoming familiar with all of their functions and procedures.
Besides which, I'm not sure that whatever Apple does to translate would be any more accurate/idiomatic than my own or others' previous attempts.

Choirmistress

Post Sun, Feb 06 2022, 6:34 pm
Would לאורכו של יום be —each and everyday?

I think that phrase would be more like "b'chol yom", or even "b'chol yom v'yom".
Thanks anyway.

amother
Obsidian

Post Sun, Feb 06 2022, 6:37 pm
OP- songs are not always literal
The writers use poetic license
So think about connotation rather than denotation
Also grammatical order of words can be switched to fit rhyme and /or rhythm
הצלחה

Choirmistress

Post Sun, Feb 06 2022, 6:37 pm
כל כך שלך
השיר עוד לא נגמר
This is poetic license
The words mean that your song has not ended- she is saying that he doesn’t let anyone near him to get to know him
אתה בפנים- you are inside- as in you are closed off

השיר עוד לא נגמר was pretty clear; it's the כל כך שלך part that I was wondering about. Is it "It's so typical of you"?
אתה בפנים was also clear.
Thanks for your further input.

Choirmistress

Post Sun, Feb 06 2022, 6:41 pm
I believe תשלב is join- she is talking about connecting

Thanks, Obsidian.
I'll have to come up with a new rhyming word.

Choirmistress

Post Sun, Feb 06 2022, 6:46 pm
amother [ Diamond ] wrote:
I speak Hebrew and so does my husband but honestly your attitude is so off-putting. You're not researching a cure for cancer, take a breather. Get some chocolate, some ice cream or something to relax. And you can say thank you to the people who are actually kind enough to help you, for free! The entitlement, holy guacamole!

With all due respect, Diamond, I have been thanking all those sending responding posts. And no, I do not think I'm "entitled" to anything. Methinks you could use a chocolate bar or a big mug of coffee yourself.

Thank you so much for your input.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Music and Performing Arts