Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training
At what age ds fully trained at night?
Previous  1  2

How old was your ds (or average if many) when fully trained at night?
3 or younger  
 51%  [ 80 ]
 15%  [ 24 ]
 7%  [ 11 ]
 3%  [ 5 ]
 6%  [ 10 ]
8+  
 15%  [ 24 ]
Total Votes : 154

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 08 2022, 6:03 pm
amother [ Fuchsia ] wrote:
when you day train they are very conscious of it so if you see a couple nights they wake up dry, catch it then and give them panties for at night. they shouldn't rely on pull ups.

1. taking to bathroom when going into pajamas and also again right before lights out. even if it's a few drops.
2. not giving to drink an hour or more before bedtime helps.

by my oldest I didnt know these tips so they didnt night train but when I trained my second and did a lot of research I sleep trained them at the same time. peer pressure caused the older one to night train because they didnt want to see their younger sibling in panties and them in a pullup.

good luck.

I have heard this but I didn't feel it was right. I try to treat my kids the way I want to be treated myself. And I'll be very upset if somebody didn't let me have a drink within an hour before bed. I am thirsty and I'm sure they are too. I'd rather buy Pull-Ups.

It's interesting because my daughter toilet trained within a month or two of day training by night and I didn't do anything, it happened by itself.

amother
cornflower

Post Tue, Feb 08 2022, 6:28 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
So frustrated... He has been toilet trained over a year and will sometimes go a month with dry pull ups and then we have a wet one in the morning. I was told it could take years. Is that your experience?
We had similar. We did no drinks past 6, and taking him to pee at about 11 or 12. But he didn’t stay dry on his own until we treated for chronic strep and put him on magnesium and ttfd supplements. The hidden infection was stressing his autonomic nervous system. Still now when he occasionally wakes up wet I know he’s coming down with something or he has strep.

gootlfriends

Post Tue, Feb 08 2022, 6:59 pm
My kid who needed night underwear was too tired to wake up to urinate. Getting enough sleep helped. She was also struggling to fall sleep so she didn't want to wake up. So many kids aren't night trained before 8. Its not always in the child's control. My other 2 were dry by 2 st night. There is no rush, don't make said child crazy.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Feb 09 2022, 3:46 am
I am so happy to hear that so many people are recognizing that it's genetic. Even at the latest age, things tend to clear up at puberty. Boys almost always have it worse than girls do, but there are exception.

I know one family who had 5 kids under 14, and every single one of them was in diapers of some sort at night. The parents did nothing wrong. At first they tried medication, night alarms, liquid restriction, you name it. It didn't make a difference, and just frustrated the kids.

Finally she just put the ones who were old enough in charge of doing their own washing of bedsheets and nightwear, and she would take care of the little ones. Everyone got a quick shower in the morning to make sure that no one was stinky. She was super on top of making sure that they were not socially impacted.

The kids even went to camp in pullups, and changed into them under the covers. They had a whole method of keeping it a secret from the other kids. Only the bunk counselors knew, in case they needed help cleaning up.

So all your mamas who are waiting patiently, and understanding that the kids will mature at their own rate, good for you! It's about time we got out of the dark ages about this.

(DD was trained at 2.5, but my friend taught me not to judge.)

amother
Electricblue

Post Wed, Feb 09 2022, 6:52 am
I took my boys to the bathroom before I went to sleep for 2 years after training them. It's the only way to ensure that their bladder muscles stay alert.

amother
DarkViolet

Post Wed, Feb 09 2022, 7:02 am
Staying dry at night is a completely biological thing that is affected by genetics. You can try things to help your child but it is not really in their control or yours.

I have siblings who were not staying dry well into their teens. Tried alarms, diet changes, everything. I myself didn't stay dry until 6 years old. My husband also had accidents until he was 10.

You just need to be patient. If you try to pressure your kid they will just have increased anxiety and shame surrounding this issue which never helps anyone.

jfk92

Post Wed, Feb 09 2022, 7:55 am
3. But that still includes waking him at 12 to take him.

amother
Celeste

Post Wed, Feb 09 2022, 8:16 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I have heard this but I didn't feel it was right. I try to treat my kids the way I want to be treated myself. And I'll be very upset if somebody didn't let me have a drink within an hour before bed. I am thirsty and I'm sure they are too. I'd rather buy Pull-Ups.

It's interesting because my daughter toilet trained within a month or two of day training by night and I didn't do anything, it happened by itself.

What he’s doing is developmentally normal. If you’re not interested in aiding the process by reducing liquids before bed or taking him to the bathroom at some point in middle of the night, expect some accidents at night for a while. You can let him have a sip of water before bed but a whole cup - he’s not going to be able to keep it in.
Girls are notoriously easier to toilet train.

leahshprintza

Post Wed, Feb 09 2022, 2:21 pm
I wet the bed until I was a teenager but as an adult, I still experience so much shame and pain because of how the people in my life dealt with it. Do not shame him and don't let your frustration show. He will grow out of it at some point.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Wed, Feb 09 2022, 2:26 pm
if my kid is vert thirsty, not just another excuse for getting out of bed, then I'll give them an ounce of water or even a couple ice cubes. usually it's just for dry mouth.

I explain to them that it's to help them wake up dry which they like and they can drink as much as they want in the morning.

it's usually not a fight but if they claim to be really thirsty I'll let them drink. also, if you consciously give plenty fluids during the day then they'll be fine at night.

amother
Bergamot

Post Wed, Feb 09 2022, 9:39 pm
My 2 year boy wakes up dry in the morning the past month and hes not toilet trained yet. I never started yet.
Its probably time now.

But all my other kids were trained day andd night together bh.

Hatzlacha.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training