Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
High ranch owners- monthly gas and electric bill??
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sat, Feb 12 2022, 9:45 pm
How much do you all pay for gas and electricity monthly? We just bought a house and I was totally unprepared for this. $500+ a month is normal?? It’s a small house!

amother
DarkOrange

Post Sat, Feb 12 2022, 9:50 pm
Apartment here but electric prices shot through the roof last month! My bill was 1/3 more than it usually is in winter!

Moonlight

Post Sat, Feb 12 2022, 9:56 pm
Totally depends what city u live in for starters.
And NYC jumped like crazy this month

amother
OP

Post Sat, Feb 12 2022, 9:58 pm
Moonlight wrote:
Totally depends what city u live in for starters.
And NYC jumped like crazy this month

In Rockland county

amother
Quince

Post Sat, Feb 12 2022, 10:14 pm
OP, I live in a 1400 SF apartment & our O&R bill is over $400. Crazy.

amother
Ballota

Post Sat, Feb 12 2022, 10:41 pm
What we do with O&R is have a monthly amount no matter what the actual cost is, that we pay for 12 months a year. So in the winter it's higher, and in the spring/summer/fall, it's lower, but we pay the same amount all 12 months. This way we don't have to deal with crazy high amounts in the winter.
You might want to look into it.

amother
Quince

Post Sat, Feb 12 2022, 10:51 pm
amother [ Ballota ] wrote:
What we do with O&R is have a monthly amount no matter what the actual cost is, that we pay for 12 months a year. So in the winter it's higher, and in the spring/summer/fall, it's lower, but we pay the same amount all 12 months. This way we don't have to deal with crazy high amounts in the winter.

That's interesting. Do you know if this is available for renters or only owners?

amother
OP

Post Sat, Feb 12 2022, 10:54 pm

Thank you. How do I look into it? Is it on their website?

Also this means that you can turn up the heat or ac as much as you want and you’re still paying the same flat rate every month?

amother
Slateblue

Post Sat, Feb 12 2022, 11:29 pm
That’s called budget billing they take you useage average and divide it in 12 the last month if there is a difference they charge you and reevaluate for the coming year

Around $400 is normal when it’s freezing outside

amother
Ballota

Post Sun, Feb 13 2022, 12:03 am
amother [ Slateblue ] wrote:
That’s called budget billing they take you useage average and divide it in 12 the last month if there is a difference they charge you and reevaluate for the coming year

Around $400 is normal when it’s freezing outside

Yes they take your average and divide it by the year.
Last year, we had used less than they had averaged so they gave us a few hundred dollar credit on the next months bill and lowered our payments for this year. I think they evaluated the end of spring, if I recall correctly.
For what it's worth, we pay $353 per month, but we also keep our heat very high. (The previous winter we had paid $800 one month I think. It was crazy).
I don't remember how we set this up. I guess give them a call.

amother
Ballota

Post Sun, Feb 13 2022, 12:04 am
amother [ Quince ] wrote:
That's interesting. Do you know if this is available for renters or only owners?

I have no idea What

amother
Jean

Post Sun, Feb 13 2022, 12:48 am
I have no idea What

It's available for everyone. (We rent.) It doesn't save you any money, just makes your bills more predictable.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 13 2022, 9:37 am
Anyone live in a high ranch in Rockland?

amother
Eggplant

Post Sun, Feb 13 2022, 9:48 am
I live in a colonial so a bit bigger.. its also my first winter in this house and my or Bill was over 500 this month.. was totally unexpected..interesting though was that it was the gas that was most of the cost..
Was it your gas that was alot or your electricity

amother
Iris

Post Sun, Feb 13 2022, 9:53 am
I live in a high ranch in rockland. My bills are high. Higher than yours:) $400 is very very average. Welcome to this years crazy high prices

amother
Cerise

Post Sun, Feb 13 2022, 10:19 am
Hi , another rockland county high ranch owner. Yes, my O and R bill was 500 this month! It is usually less. I'm trying to make an effort now to keep heat down when I leave the house... and to shut lights off. I also got a heater for a room near the front door because I think it's not well sealed (maybe we will get it sealed better...)
so hopefully this month will be less....

Don't know if it makes a difference, but I do have a tenant and that was bill for both of us together. and water is another 90 on top of that.

amother
SandyBrown

Post Sun, Feb 13 2022, 10:29 am
I live in a high ranch. We did solar.

amother
Darkblue

Post Sun, Feb 13 2022, 10:58 am
Many energy companies will do free inspections of homes and provide suggestions regarding how to make your home more energy efficient.

What are your windows like and what kind of insulation do you have in walls and attic - these are the most obvious ways to conserve.

And of course there are the standard things to do - keep your thermostat set low and set it back even lower at night. I grew up in a drafty old home with no insulation and the thermostat was set to automatically be lower at night. Even during the day it wasn't toasty warm and we just wore sweaters, sweatshirts and socks and warm slippers.

We did have what were called "storm windows" which were theoretically supposed to provide some barrier since the original wood windows provided almost none but nothing like what modern insulated windows and walls would do.

amother
Slateblue

Post Sun, Feb 13 2022, 11:03 am
Yes they average your usage so it just makes your bills more predictable

amother
Periwinkle

Post Mon, Feb 14 2022, 11:11 pm
It depends on how many sq. ft. your house is. Do you have leaky windows and doors and how well insulated your house is.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries