Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Chessed activity for almost at risk teen

octopus

Post Sun, May 04 2008, 9:48 am
Does anyone have a good suggestion of chessed activities that a fifteen year old teenager can do in brooklyn (pref bp area or nearby)? Not going into the details, but this child has low self-esteem and a lot of self-pity. In addition to therapy, it was suggested that she should get involved in chessed as it makes ppl feel good about themselves and it will make her less self involved. Any good ideas?

yo'ma

Post Sun, May 04 2008, 9:51 am
nursing home, I used to go all the time in h.s. also home bound pple.

octopus

Post Sun, May 04 2008, 10:12 am
does anyone have anymore suggestions? I saw that ohr naava has challah baking for chessed. While that is not a good option, as that is too far away, are there any other chessed opportunities like that closer to the boro park or midwood area?

NotInNJMommy

Post Sun, May 04 2008, 4:17 pm
Is there something like Friendship Circle, an organization for special needs children, there? She would be making a huge difference in a family's life by befriending their special needs child.

Mama Shifra

Post Mon, May 05 2008, 4:25 pm
Another thing to consider is having her volunteer in the children's playroom in a hospital. Many hospitals will allow volunteer over 14 or at the latest 16.

sunshine!

Post Mon, May 05 2008, 4:30 pm
She could voluteer at the Woman's League Baby Home. I voluteered there as a teenager and it helped me decide that special ed was something I wanted to pursue... Besides the gratification that comes with knowing you make a difference in the life of a sick child (the babies there have a range of disabilities, ranging from genetic to developmental). It is located on 36th street bet. 14th and 15th. When I volunteered there was a woman in charge named Frumie Weinberg, perhaps she is still there, or you can talk to someone at the main Womans Leaugue office. Good Luck!

greenfire

Post Mon, May 05 2008, 4:34 pm
I think you have to be very cautious in what she does and give her choices - not everything will be suitable nor will she be interested ... the longer the list - the more chance you will find something that'll work ...

Barbara

Post Mon, May 05 2008, 5:34 pm
greenfire wrote:
I think you have to be very cautious in what she does and give her choices - not everything will be suitable nor will she be interested ... the longer the list - the more chance you will find something that'll work ...

Yes. Find out what she's interested in, then go from there in finding something that she can do. If she enjoys reading, look into having her record books for the blind, or read books or newspapers to an elderly neighbor whose vision is no longer clear. If she enjoys gardening, look into volunteering at a local park. If she loves children, not only could she engage in some of the activities mentioned, she could offer to watch a couple of babies on Shabbat morning so that the mothers can go to shul, or volunteer with a shul playgroup if there is one. It doesn't have to be a formally organized activity; just something that she'll enjoy and get something out of.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries