Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 14 2022, 4:43 pm

flowerpower

Post Mon, Feb 14 2022, 4:53 pm
Can he buy and prepare his own food?? It’s really not fair for you to do it!

hellokitty

Post Mon, Feb 14 2022, 4:55 pm
if he's choosing it for his own adventure, then he needs to prepare anything outside the family menu.

amother
Burlywood

Post Mon, Feb 14 2022, 4:59 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I need so much help. There are things on this diet that make zero sense to me. And it seems like a lot of work. I already have a ton of food allergies in the house (some of which do overlap with the diet restrictions), and very picky kids. A few won't eat more than two fleish meals a week, and now dh is off dairy and all grains.

My kids will not eat the food he needs- no, not even with time. And I don't have time or energy to make two dinners, two sets of Shabbos, etc, and all the vegetable cutting. So many rules! I just made him chicken based on the rules he told me, and after I put it in the oven he mentioned no soy.

And he is already grumpy and irritable from it. He did a decade of therapy after we got married to resolve the irritability and now it's back.

Help.

I predict he won’t last long on it. Tell him you can’t physically add another set of restrictive foods to your cooking so he will have to help prepare his meals.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 14 2022, 5:11 pm
His doctor put him on it.

He has offered to make his own food. Realistically, he will likely often decide not to eat and then be very irritable about it all.

hellokitty

Post Mon, Feb 14 2022, 5:17 pm
if medical plan from doctor, it's reasonable to help a bit more than if he chose it for himself. maybe sit down with him and meal plan together. still put anything super out-there or fussy on his to-do list. there may be some easy swaps (bbq sauce A for bbq sauce B, for example), but it simply isn't reasonable for you to take on all of the additional work. also ask the doctor for any pamphlets or resources they have. they shouldn't just assign this diet without some info (unfortunately it happens though)

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 14 2022, 5:27 pm
Any advice for easy meals? Sauces need to be zero soy, zero sugar, zero grain starch. Need to reduce chopping vegetables as much as possible. Also need to reduce how much I stand over a stove. I usually use the oven as much as possible, but I can't use both my milchig and fleishig ovens at the same time. And I only have a certain amount of time to make supper.

amother
Eggplant

Post Mon, Feb 14 2022, 5:29 pm
My dh had to go on a similar type of diet for medical reasons, no sugar, grains, soy, minimal dairy. I also have kids with multiple allergies. It's a lot of extra work but you will find a way to make it work for your family.
Make one type of chicken/meat for the whole family that your husband can eat.
Make one vegetable side for everyone.
One starch for whoever eats that.
If some kids don't want to eat chicken/meat more than twice a week, they don't have to eat it.
I don't know what kind of non-fleishig suppers they can eat, but I assure you, they will be fine if they have bread and scrambled eggs/hummus/tuna/cheese for supper once a week. We have those options for anyone who doesn't want to eat what I've cooked that night. We've been doing this diet-lifestyle for a lot of years now, by now, most of my kids do actually eat what I've cooked most nights. They might surprise you one day.
If you're up to it, you can cook a separate supper for them once a week, or whatever works for you. I do it once every 2-3 weeks.
Do try to help your dh deal with his health but Don't kill yourself for this. Try to find shortcuts, buy pre-cut/washed/checked vegetables, if you're able. Prepare double and freeze. When you make shabbos, make a lot of something you're making anyway that you can serve for supper one day the following week.
You got this!

amother
Jasmine

Post Mon, Feb 14 2022, 5:30 pm
Skip the sauces. Peel a few potatoes and put in a foil pan with some baby carrots. Put a few pieces of chicken on top. Add a cup of water. Sprinkle with Montreal Steak seasoning, cover and bake. Whole 30 approved and delicious.

emzod42

Post Mon, Feb 14 2022, 5:32 pm
Kosher on a budget did whole 30 a while ago. I remember reading the posts. Maybe you can get menu ideas?
https://kosheronabudget.com/wh.....view/

amother
Blushpink

Post Mon, Feb 14 2022, 5:48 pm
His therapy didn't fail. He is suffering from withdrawl. It should subside over 2-3 weeks.

Whole 30 meals can be super quick to prepare. There is just a learning curve for you.

Do a search for quick & easy whole 30 meal ideas. Choose any that is mostly cook time with no more than 5 - 7 minutes work. Your kids arent going to want to eat whole 30 with him. So just remind yourself he is trying to stay alive & healthy for you & the kids.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Feb 14 2022, 7:01 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Any advice for easy meals? Sauces need to be zero soy, zero sugar, zero grain starch. Need to reduce chopping vegetables as much as possible. Also need to reduce how much I stand over a stove. I usually use the oven as much as possible, but I can't use both my milchig and fleishig ovens at the same time. And I only have a certain amount of time to make supper.

Rub whole boneless chicken breasts (not thinned cutlets) with oil. Sprinkle with spice mix of garlic powder, sumac, and lots of salt. Sprinkle evenly all over chicken breasts. Let sit 30 minutes. Bake uncovered at 450 for 22 minutes. Let rest covered. Slice on the diagonal.
⬆️ Serve this over a non chop salad: bag of lettuce, handful shredded carrots from bag, handful shredded red cabbage from bag, whole grape tomatoes.

Make a paste of crushed garlic, olive oil and coarse salt. Spread over salmon. Sprinkle with parsley flakes. Bake uncovered at 450 for 14 minutes.
⬆️ Spread a bag of broccoli florets over a cookie sheet. Coat well with avocado oil spray. Season generously with coarse salt. Bake uncovered at 450 for 30 minutes.

No chopping veggies:

Roast baby carrots with crushed garlic, salt and pepper for a side dish.

Toss a bag of shredded carrots with dried dill, scallions, crushed garlic, lemon, olive oil, salt and pepper.

Sauté a container of fresh snow peas for 2 minutes with a drop of olive oil and salt to taste.

Any frozen bag of veggies - toss with olive oil and salt, spread on a cookie sheet and roast uncovered.

amother
Brass

Post Mon, Feb 14 2022, 7:10 pm
Make his super in big batches enough for a few meals. Freeze the extra in containers. Pop it into the microwave when you don't have enough time for fresh food. Good luck

amother
Lightyellow

Post Mon, Feb 14 2022, 7:29 pm
https://www.busyinbrooklyn.com.....book/ This is a 30 day meal plan. You prepare different things at the beginning of the week and then you mix and match to make breakfast lunch and supper each day. If you prep it for him then he should be able to put his meal together each time. I think he would find the set menu helpful. Hell know what he should be eating each day, and the plan will tell him exactly how to assemble his meals.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking