Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Drinking at night
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 16 2022, 9:55 pm
My four-year-old wakes up at least once every night asking for water. If she drinks at night, that means she'll be waking up again an hour later saying she needs the bathroom. So we started a rule where she gets around a half full small water bottle when she goes to bed. If she drinks it all before going to sleep, she doesn't get more water until the morning. If she decides to save some, she'll have some for during the night. (She never saves any.) We discuss this all day until bedtime so that she's prepared and it's not a shock to her at 2 AM that she's not getting water.
Anyway, every night she wakes up and we remind her that we don't get more water in the middle of the night. And she starts throwing a temper tantrum that she's thirsty and she needs water. Most nights we end up giving in because we just want to go back to sleep and we don't want her to wake up the baby. I'm at a loss. I don't know how to break this habit.

amother
DarkKhaki

Post Wed, Feb 16 2022, 9:58 pm
Many people need to drink at night. I don’t think it’s fair to withhold water. My entire family sleeps with a water bottle near their beds. Instead work on her going to the bathroom and getting right back into bed.

amother
Lemon

Post Wed, Feb 16 2022, 9:59 pm
Sorry but that’s unfair. You can’t deprive her of water. I drink so much at night good thing I’m an adult and no one can take away my water.
Please don’t deprive her of water. It’s really not fair to your child.

amother
Lemon

Post Wed, Feb 16 2022, 10:01 pm
All of my kids from babies to teen sleep with water bottles and sippy cups. It’s very normal. Just have her go to the bathroom in middle of night.

amother
Peachpuff

Post Wed, Feb 16 2022, 10:03 pm
I agree with other posters

I understand it must be frustrating to have to get up each night to take her to the bathroom, but if she’s thirsty then she’s thirsty. It’s not fair or right to deprive her of water just so you can avoid a middle of the night bathroom break

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Feb 16 2022, 10:03 pm
As long as she's staying dry at night, and makes it to the bathroom on time, then just give her a water bottle.

If you're trying to night train her, than that's a whole different thing. She has to wake up and go to the bathroom before she asks for water, and then she should only get a sip or two.

amother
Pansy

Post Wed, Feb 16 2022, 10:04 pm
My four year old wakes up every night at 2 am to go to the bathroom. It’s really annoying. You know what we’re doing? We’re in the process of getting her to go to the bathroom completely independently so she won’t need to wake anybody up. The same thing we did with her six year old sister at that age.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 16 2022, 10:12 pm
This makes sense. I had a feeling that's what we were doing wrong. I also drink a lot at night. I guess we need to focus on the bathroom part rather than the drinking part. Thank you, everyone.

amother
Lemon

Post Wed, Feb 16 2022, 10:18 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
This makes sense. I had a feeling that's what we were doing wrong. I also drink a lot at night. I guess we need to focus on the bathroom part rather than the drinking part. Thank you, everyone.

You are such a good mother. So flexible and ready to change. Hatzlacha!

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 16 2022, 10:25 pm
amother [ Lemon ] wrote:
You are such a good mother. So flexible and ready to change. Hatzlacha!

This means so much to me because I've been struggling so much lately. Thank you so much.

amother
Ruby

Post Wed, Feb 16 2022, 11:18 pm
We all sleep with water bottles next to our beds, from youngest to oldest. Only my youngest wakes up to go to the bathroom and he's almost at an age when he can go by himself.

amother
Blonde

Post Wed, Feb 16 2022, 11:41 pm
Does she sleep right near the heat? It might be drying her out and causing her to wake up thirsty (that is ifshes drinking enough during the day who with my kids is usually an issue..)

amother
Aubergine

Post Thu, Feb 17 2022, 12:43 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Exactly! Teach her how to go by herself without needing your help. It will make things soooo much easier.

amother
Puce

Post Thu, Feb 17 2022, 2:47 am
Could you put a potty by her bedside?

amother
Hawthorn

Post Thu, Feb 17 2022, 7:55 am
I don't think it's normal. She probably isn't drinking enough during the day, so start by trying to get her to drink throughout the day.
It could possibly be a symptom of diabetes so get a checkup if you're worried.

amother
Smokey

Post Thu, Feb 17 2022, 8:10 am

amother
Nemesia

Post Thu, Feb 17 2022, 8:49 am
amother [ Hawthorn ] wrote:
I don't think it's normal. She probably isn't drinking enough during the day, so start by trying to get her to drink throughout the day.
It could possibly be a symptom of diabetes so get a checkup if you're worried.
I agree with this. I don’t think it’s regular to not be able to go a night without drinking. It could be forced air heating systems causing extreme dryness but also sounds like a pituitary thing.

cuffs

Post Thu, Feb 17 2022, 9:03 am
I would focus on getting her to drink more water throughout the day so she’s not as thirsty at night.

balance

Post Thu, Feb 17 2022, 9:22 am
You could also check if she's mouth breathing so that her mouth is drying out.

lucky14

Post Thu, Feb 17 2022, 9:29 am
It could be possible there is a medical reason but for my kids there is some kind of novelty or fun aspect of having a water bottle and drinking in bed.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers