Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Do your kids "sleep in"

amother

Post Sun, May 04 2008, 10:31 pm
My complaint is mostly about Shabbos, but it's tough during school vacations, work vacation and other times-

It's so hard having a late Friday night meal and then getting up at 6:30 a.m. with the kids. My husband and I take turns, but it is such torture.
I tried having them stay up later, but no matter what time I put them to sleep they are up early.
So I know kids are kids, but what do you do in the mornings, especially Shabbos?

flowerpower

Post Sun, May 04 2008, 10:34 pm
same here, no matter when they go to bed they wake up before the roosters. I gave up. when dh goes to shul shabbos morning it feels like shalosh seudos time. I just let them play with pjs with a toy they didnt see in a while and then get them dressed after dh leaves.

justanothermother

Post Sun, May 04 2008, 10:37 pm
We put out breakfast the night before so the kids can eat right away without disturbing us. I also buy little prizes to give out, if they stay quiet till we get up, they get to choose a prize from the Shabbos box. We have found this works well for ages 2 and up.

Squash

Post Sun, May 04 2008, 10:57 pm
we also put out breakfast.

this week I prepared a sandwich for each kid in a ziplock bag, put plates on the table and told them to each take one when they get up.

we also prepare games for them to play, books to read etc.

it takes time and patience and getting used to on their part.

my oldest is now 7 years old so it has been getting a bit easier lately.

but there are still times that I'll get up and be greeted by a shrek of a wreck. it's the price you pay for sleeping a bit.

Tamiri

Post Mon, May 05 2008, 12:44 am
It gets better as the kids get older, and when the older ones can tend to the younger ones. Don't worry, it won't be like this for much longer. Of course, it's your job to keep reiterating how the parents want to sleep in a bit on Shabbat so that they know it's part of the ritual. A 2 yo can understand: no screaming when parents' door is closed, etc.
Good Luck!

louche

Post Mon, May 05 2008, 1:32 am
they never did, but the payoff is that now I don't have to wake them up for school or davening--even hashkamah. they get themselves up as they've been doing forever.

gryp

Post Mon, May 05 2008, 10:02 am
I just stopped expecting to sleep any later than a regular day.

chocolate moose

Post Mon, May 05 2008, 10:07 am
that's why I didn't go to tshul until they were really big !

NotInNJMommy

Post Mon, May 05 2008, 10:23 am
Friday night is perfunctory. B'simcha but perfunctory. No soup in this house! We wouldn't do orchim either (or very rarely), and instead have guests for the day meal.

If I get to bed early-ish...I'm capable of being moderately human in the AM...my alarm (dd) goes off at 6a usually. I just keep holding out for the communal naptime (IYH) in the afternoon.

Rutabaga

Post Tue, May 06 2008, 6:36 pm
My dd is only a little over a week old, so she wakes up at all hours.

I remember when I was little, my parents taught us how to tell time pretty early on. We knew we had to stay in bed until 7:00 AM. After that, we were allowed to get up and go downstairs to play quietly. I'm sure we were not always quiet, but I seem to recall that we were pretty good about the 7AM thing.

zigi

Post Wed, May 07 2008, 8:33 pm
I go back to sleep with one ear awake to hear whats going on, and dh also gets up pretty early. b'h so I can sleep a bit more. they help them selves to food I have things that they can grab and eat. if its way too early I tell them to go back to sleep. this only works if its really early,

BlumaG

Post Wed, May 07 2008, 9:45 pm
BH my kids entertain themselves in their room until I get them up s/time between 8-9. BH I hope it stays this way
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics