Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Wireless & Tel connection
1  2  Next

miracle

Post Mon, May 05 2008, 4:26 am
I am moving to Israel this summer and I need to get a good internet provider as soon as I get there.

Can anyone provide me with some advice on how long it takes and which good and reliable internet provider you recommend?

Would the phone line also be connected to the internet membership or is this a different provider? I have heard of HOT but no idea what it is.

Thanks

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, May 05 2008, 4:32 am
miracle wrote:
I am moving to Israel this summer and I need to get a good internet provider as soon as I get there.

Can anyone provide me with some advice on how long it takes and which good and reliable internet provider you recommend?

Would the phone line also be connected to the internet membership or is this a different provider? I have heard of HOT but no idea what it is.

Thanks
just so you know, HOT is a cable channel as well as an internet provider, BUT it is not provided everywhere. we live in neve daniel in the gush and wanted to get HOT but they said that they have no service here (not sure if this meant the whole gush or just neve daniel) but we were not able to hook up with them.

we use netvision and are happy with them.
about how long it takes to set it all up, it really just dedpends on how long it will take the company to send out a technicain to where you are moving to to set up the line (that is bezek I thnk) when we moved it took two weeks for a techi to be able to come, so this actually might be something that you want to check out before you come.

BeershevaBubby

Post Mon, May 05 2008, 4:40 am
You have a phone line (we use Bezeq) and then there's the ISP (we use Netvision).

However your ADSL and modem are usually via Bezeq.

We also have an American phone line which we may need to replace because we've been having problems with the connection (we've narrowed it down by eliminating the phone, the cable and the bandwidth being a problem).

Tamiri

Post Mon, May 05 2008, 5:08 am
HOT: Provides cable, phone and internet services. My parents have the package deal but I am not so impressed with their internet, though it may be the computer's fault...
You pay the infrastructure provider which can be either Bezeq or HOT or YES for the physical connection from your home to your internet service provider (ISP). We pay Bezeq around 40 nis/month.
ISP: You choose your provider, among them: netvision, 012 Kavei Zahav (I know those two cause we pitted them one against the other).
You pay them a monthly fee (we pay 19.90 nis to 012 for ADSL).
Usually the first time you sign up it's a package deal for the infrastructure provider and the ISP regarding fees. After the inital engagement, you can change your ISP or your infrastructure. You shop around for better prices, as we did.
Bezeq and the others require an initial commitment for a year (at least when we signed up) otherwise you have to pay for the equipment or pay a penalty if you switch, making it not worth it to change the infrastructure during the first year.

catonmylap

Post Mon, May 05 2008, 5:27 am
We have Hot & Barak.

miracle

Post Mon, May 05 2008, 5:30 am
Thanks

I actually have the equipment, I mean I have the router for wireless already.

Does anyone know how much wireless connection cost?

I really think I should start with this before I arrive in summer, the way I know Israel, they are pretty slow and if I need to wait for a technician to come first, I might not have the connection so fast.

BeershevaBubby

Post Mon, May 05 2008, 5:32 am
Is there someone who can make the appointment and stay at the apartment/house for you the day they're supposed to come?

miracle

Post Mon, May 05 2008, 5:36 am
yeap I can have someone to be there, the only problem is that the apartment where I will live at the begining will be under renovation and not sure when they will finish, but maybe during the renovation the technician can also go in and check it.

another question- if I change address, can I take the connection membership with me or do I need to have a new one in the new address? At the begining we will be in Yerushalaim, but depending on the job, we might have to change to another city.

Tamiri

Post Mon, May 05 2008, 5:44 am
miracle wrote:
Thanks

I actually have the equipment, I mean I have the router for wireless already.

Does anyone know how much wireless connection cost?

I really think I should start with this before I arrive in summer, the way I know Israel, they are pretty slow and if I need to wait for a technician to come first, I might not have the connection so fast.

For ADSL and cable you need a modem which is paid for in the intitiation fee. Most likely your wireless router will work with the equipment they provide but check because especially with cable, some of the routers are not compatible.
Wireless connection costing what do you mean? We have the regular Bezeq modem and my husband installed a wireless router that he purchased. There is no additional fee. Bezeq etc. will sell you wireless equipment and then offer support if there is a problem but if you already have a router, there is no reason to buy it from them. We bought our router at an internet store but we don't have technical support.

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, May 05 2008, 5:47 am
miracle wrote:
yeap I can have someone to be there, the only problem is that the apartment where I will live at the begining will be under renovation and not sure when they will finish, but maybe during the renovation the technician can also go in and check it.

another question- if I change address, can I take the connection membership with me or do I need to have a new one in the new address? At the begining we will be in Yerushalaim, but depending on the job, we might have to change to another city.
the technician is going to have to come to the new address to put in the line again (if it will be a new home) if it is already a residence the technician will have to do something, but it might be easier. you probably will be able to take your number with you. that is new with bezek, when we moved from beit shemesh to the gush we took our nubmer with us.

miracle

Post Mon, May 05 2008, 5:49 am
I understand better now shabatis coming, Thanks for the clarification

So I just need to decide which provider suits me better and make sure the technician gets there before me.

BeershevaBubby

Post Mon, May 05 2008, 5:52 am
You'll also need an ADSL modem which you're really better off getting through the phone company because they can service it and offer technical support.

Tamiri

Post Mon, May 05 2008, 5:54 am
miracle wrote:
I understand better now shabatis coming, Thanks for the clarification

So I just need to decide which provider suits me better and make sure the technician gets there before me.

Make sure you have a working phone line first.

miracle

Post Mon, May 05 2008, 5:57 am
Quote:
You'll also need an ADSL modem which you're really better off getting through the phone company because they can service it and offer technical support.

and this will be through Bezek, Barak or 012- right?

BeershevaBubby

Post Mon, May 05 2008, 5:59 am
I have Bezek and we got our modem and when we needed to replace the router, we did it through them.

Can't speak about Barak, HOT or any of the the other companies/providers.

Tamiri

Post Mon, May 05 2008, 7:21 am
miracle wrote:
Quote:

and this will be through Bezek, Barak or 012- right?

Bezek is the only one who will sell you a router if you aren't going the HOT or YES cable route. They will offer technical support for their router. No one else will.

loveit

Post Mon, May 05 2008, 8:16 am
Chances are you won't need a technician to come out if the previous renters/owners had a phone line.

All we did was go donw to bezeq set up a phone lise, dsl and bought their wireless modem and then called netvision to set up an account for internet. We did that on a Thursday and moved in on Sunday. We would have had internet that day we moved but something was wrong with our router so we exchanged it and everything worked fine. It was probably the easiest thing we've done in Israel as we were expecting it to take forever. Good luck!

BeershevaBubby

Post Mon, May 05 2008, 8:27 am
You may need someone from one of the gas companies to come and connect your stove though... or do they not require that any more?

Imaonwheels

Post Mon, May 05 2008, 3:36 pm
As of the 15th of May you can order ADSL from Bezeq w/o a phone line. The American modem often gives trouble hear. If you order from Bezeq, and an ISP (I have Barak, they and Bezekint are the best in my opinion) and tell them both howmuch bandwidth you need (I have 5mb) and it takes a day or two. Tey come with the modem, set it up and if your computer is their set up your browser with the initial connection.

shabri

Post Tue, May 06 2008, 2:21 am
We have HOT for our phone & internet (no cable) Its a cable line and we have no trouble with the internet. We find it a lot better than the ADSL we had in our old apt through bezek.

2 good things abt HOT. The phone includes 2000 free minutes to bezek or HOT customers.
You can move your number with you.

When we called HOT we had someone come install it the next day. The other good thing was that they don't charge an installation fee.

In terms of internet providers. We used to have netvision. Or I should say we still do b/c they won't let us cancel it. Yesha, we were also having major problems with our American line and my husband (who is very computer savy) realized that we were not downloading at the speed that we were supposed to be. WE called netvision and they are extremely difficult to deal with. They keep saying its a prob with HOT, My parents have Smile. We tried it and surprise my line works great. We are downloading at the right speed. So we call back netvision to cancel our contract and THEY WON'T LET US. They agree that we are not downloading at the speed that we are paying for but they insist its a prob with HOT,even though HOT works fine with Smile.

So now we are paying for 2 internet providers. The one we use, Smile & the one that is holding us hostage. We have also heard other ppl who have had similar experiences with netvision so be warned.

Sorry its rambling but as you can see,I'm a bit upset abt it.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions