Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Have you gone off instagram after using it for years?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 21 2022, 12:08 pm
I would love to hear your experience. What caused you to? How did u do it? Cold turkey? Slowly reducing etc. do U miss it? Do u feel it was worth it? I’ll share my perspective soon!

amother
NeonOrange

Post Mon, Feb 21 2022, 12:13 pm
Yes me. B”H don’t miss it. I was off for about 7 months after 5 years wasted on it.

I do run a few business accounts now, but if I’m on its business only.

amother
Narcissus

Post Mon, Feb 21 2022, 12:31 pm
Yes, I was on it ALL the time it consumed me and there was so much garbage on it so I knew I had to get off. My husband also hated that I was on it and it really bothered him. I went cold turkey and really don’t miss it.

eeeee

Post Mon, Feb 21 2022, 12:32 pm
amother [ Narcissus ] wrote:
Yes, I was on it ALL the time it consumed me and there was so much garbage on it so I knew I had to get off. My husband also hated that I was on it and it really bothered him. I went cold turkey and really don’t miss it.

Same here

amother
Amethyst

Post Mon, Feb 21 2022, 12:33 pm
Literally went cold turkey yesterday let's see! 🙈

amother
Canary

Post Mon, Feb 21 2022, 12:33 pm
Yes. I felt bad about myself much of the time. I made a list about why I watched Instagram:

1) recipes. Except I have literally fourteen cookbooks and the entire internet and blogs, Instagram is not the source of recipes.

And most of the things I made or bought that were amazing! the best ever!! soooooo good!! Were just… okay.

2) fashion. Except why? I found myself buying clothing when I didn’t need anything. It changed my buying habits and I didn’t feel better dressed at all. In fact, friends commented where they saw my outfit and on whose account so I just felt stupid.

3) ideas for yom tov/simcha. The tablescapes! These never made me feel happier only vaguely dissatisfied. I felt like mine could never measure up.

4) inspiration. I tried this route and hated everyone I watched. Too trite. Too full of drama. Too full of self importance. Too busy promoting a relatively minor “problem” for clicks while hiding or avoiding real ones. The most hilarious ones were the ones that told their kids to be quiet or go play somewhere else while mommy talks about whatever inspirational message she had.

And I realized that literally everyone was trying to sell me a dress or a food brand or a kid’s outfit or a subscription to some magazine or for their own products. Why was I spending so much time watching commercials?

amother
Tan

Post Mon, Feb 21 2022, 1:09 pm
I did & its fine but I miss some recipes and I have to find other sources.

amother
Aster

Post Mon, Feb 21 2022, 1:34 pm
Yes. Cold turkey. It's been four years and I haven't missed it.

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Feb 21 2022, 4:23 pm
no but I've come and gone from here before

amother
Tiffanyblue

Post Mon, Feb 21 2022, 4:50 pm
Yes. About 2 years now. Sometimes I miss it but great-full I’m able do without it

amother
Goldenrod

Post Mon, Feb 21 2022, 5:50 pm
Cold turkey. Went off years ago. It's literally all levels of sheker, gayva, tayva, and the source of so much look at meeeeeee and compare/despair. Changed my life when I left and I would never look back
Bh

amother
Forestgreen

Post Mon, Feb 21 2022, 5:52 pm
Yes. Left a year ago.
Best thing. It’s hard at first because you have extra time to fill (isn’t that crazy- it should be a blessing not a problem)
Fill the time with other stuff. You’ll also have more time for real actual people.
You won’t be zoned out.
You won’t watch people being fake- it will make you more real.
You’ll save money on shopping because you won’t think you need everything.
I can’t believe what a fool I was. I didn’t buy what influencers hawked, but you just feel like you need to dress better when you see them.
After a while, you’ll realize how it sucked youbaway from your family and zoned you out.
You’ll be a new person. No joke.

amother
Sienna

Post Mon, Feb 21 2022, 6:01 pm
I'm just curious, for those who stopped and said you really don't miss it... I'm also pretty addicted to insta, but the people I follow are therapists, life coaches, parenting coaches, etc, and I feel like I really get lots out of following these particular accounts. Did you follow anyone like that? Do you wish you'd still be following for them?

amother
Gladiolus

Post Mon, Feb 21 2022, 6:15 pm
Yes. I was getting anxiety during Corona from it, so took it off my phone. I actually used it for my business and had a big following. I recently went back on for half an hour every day.
I only use it for posting for my business, and life is better😁 I have zero interest in “influencers” and insta hock AT ALL.
When I went back on I could not believe that people were still doing the same old thing. Made me sad for them, stuck in that shallow world

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 21 2022, 6:16 pm
amother [ Sienna ] wrote:
I'm just curious, for those who stopped and said you really don't miss it... I'm also pretty addicted to insta, but the people I follow are therapists, life coaches, parenting coaches, etc, and I feel like I really get lots out of following these particular accounts. Did you follow anyone like that? Do you wish you'd still be following for them?

Hey! I was like you! I thought oh I follow such quality people I gain so much etc. well I still think it was not healthy! The whole app disassociates u from real life. U don’t realize till you detox and get off. Rather choose what you want to learn about and look up things on YouTube get on email lists etc. also for anyone I really thought I wanted I follow their WhatsApp status. Many pple have that now. So much more controlled. For example I have between carpools for their hacks, yeshiva world for the news so I’m not totally out of it lol and Blimie heller for her parenting stuff on my WhatsApp.

amother
Gladiolus

Post Mon, Feb 21 2022, 6:17 pm
amother [ Sienna ] wrote:

Since leaving insta, I have embarked on a world of self growth and learning. Middos improvement and life intropection. All those people who are so out there are not always the best sources of real growth and information. If you’re looking to grow, you will accomplish so much more away from that world, I can promise from experience

naomi2

Post Mon, Feb 21 2022, 6:18 pm
I deleted it two times from my phone and then more recently I filtered my phone so I don't have the option of having it back. It was a huge time waster and took me away from my family. I wanted to be a better mother and a better role model. I wanted to be present in my life and not have to subject myself to everyone elses "perfect lives" and feel inadequate and jealous. I barely miss it.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 21 2022, 6:19 pm
I want to add that soooo many people I know now are leaving insta. At this point basically none of my friends have it anymore. Pple are waking up. And I’m talking about pple who are trendy and put tog and In the know (in case that’s a worry lol-I’ve seen pple post that they worry about becoming out of it) there’s life out of instagram!

amother
Strawberry

Post Mon, Feb 21 2022, 6:19 pm
Yes was on it for two years and stopped cold turkey right before ei got married bec I saw how addicted I was and posting all day and I decided I don't want my married life sprawled out for all to see. I'm so soglad I'm not on it now BH 6 years knh later n I think my kids can thank me for the sacrifice. There's enough to distract me without it I can't imagine how bad of a person I'd be with it! When ur entrenched in it you don't realize how negatively if affects your life and choices and financial choices spiritual choices etc. There r so many way better ways to get recipes, spirituality life coaching ideas etc or....u jst won't have those and guess wat.....ull be OKAY!!! More than okay!! For reals! N I find the only only way to do it is stopping cold turkey there's no way really to just limit it bec it's structured in a such a way tht there's no limits to the feed to the amount of time u spend...etc! Good luck to y'all and hats off to everyone who did it! Especially when so many ppl r on it and talk about it all day n u hafta be the one to say oh I'm off insta! But it's a label u shud wear with pride!!!

amother
Antiquewhite

Post Mon, Feb 21 2022, 7:15 pm
Yup, stopped cold turkey 5 years ago. Did it as a zchus for something. (All social media) Best thing I could’ve done and I do not miss any part of it.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics