Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Help. This kid colors out of the lines.
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 22 2022, 5:45 pm
My son is almost 5.
He seems like a real good kid, but he has a mischievous streak.
He loves to color all over the place. I have spoken to him and told him that Coloring is only for paper. But he just smiles and says he won't do it again. He colors on the wall, on the car seats..

I just got a msg from the bus monitor that while she was loading the bus, he colored on 8 seats with chalk. And she sent pictures.

mha3484

Post Tue, Feb 22 2022, 5:47 pm
I have a 5 year old who is super creative and a little impulsive. He will color anywhere and the worst part is he is actually really good so its hard to get mad. He drew on a wall in his room and I was so surprised he could draw that well that it was hard to punish him. I keep alllll pens/pencils/markers out of reach unless I can supervise him.

amother
Dimgray

Post Tue, Feb 22 2022, 5:48 pm
Sounds like impulsivity issues (more than typical for his age). An evaluation for ASD or ADHD may be worthwhile.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 22 2022, 5:54 pm
amother [ Dimgray ] wrote:
Sounds like impulsivity issues (more than typical for his age). An evaluation for ASD or ADHD may be worthwhile.

This is what I'm worried about.
He is currently working with an OT and she says that the morah says he can't sit during Circle time. That she is working on strengthening his core.
I was wondering if I should mention this incident to her.

amother
Whitewash

Post Tue, Feb 22 2022, 5:55 pm
Go to a developmental pediatrician. They screen for everything.

amother
Sienna

Post Tue, Feb 22 2022, 5:56 pm
It doesn't mean there's anything wrong at all. You can get him checked out, but he might just be out to improve the dull world.

amother
Dimgray

Post Tue, Feb 22 2022, 5:58 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
This is what I'm worried about.
He is currently working with an OT and she says that the morah says he can't sit during Circle time. That she is working on strengthening his core.
I was wondering if I should mention this incident to her.

I know how you feel.

I will say I have one child with very very mild ASD and one with ADHD, and I wish I'd gotten them diagnosed sooner because it helped me figure out how to help them.

I would bring it up with the OT.

amother
Linen

Post Tue, Feb 22 2022, 6:00 pm
He needs to have consequences. Not a punishment, but rather consequences. He needs to miss something he was looking forward to, to clean what he colored on. Maybe he needs to sell a favorite toy, in order to pay back money for something he ruined. You can figure out which consequence or best both fit the crime, and be most meaningful for him. He needs to understand that rules are in place for a reason.
He may have some other issues going on, and that may make it harder for him, but sometimes, if there is nothing more going on, children like to push the envelope and see what they can get away with, and also if there’s no consequence to them, why shouldn’t they do what they want.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 22 2022, 6:03 pm
I know how you feel.

I will say I have one child with very very mild ASD and one with ADHD, and I wish I'd gotten them diagnosed sooner because it helped me figure out how to help them.

I also have one kid with AsD and two kids with adhd. Only one was officially diagnosed though.

All the boys needed OT.
This mischeviousness is getting out of hand. I sometimes hear things he did and I'm shocked.

amother
Canary

Post Tue, Feb 22 2022, 6:06 pm
Diet can make a HUGE difference to impulsive hyperactive and sensory seeking type behaviors.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 22 2022, 6:57 pm
amother [ Canary ] wrote:
Diet can make a HUGE difference to impulsive hyperactive and sensory seeking type behaviors.

Please elaborate

Bnei Berak 10

Post Tue, Feb 22 2022, 6:59 pm
amother [ Canary ] wrote:

Please elaborate. This is an interesting topic.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Tue, Feb 22 2022, 7:03 pm
amother [ Linen ] wrote:
He needs to have consequences. Not a punishment, but rather consequences. He needs to miss something he was looking forward to, to clean what he colored on. Maybe he needs to sell a favorite toy, in order to pay back money for something he ruined. You can figure out which consequence or best both fit the crime, and be most meaningful for him. He needs to understand that rules are in place for a reason.
He may have some other issues going on, and that may make it harder for him, but sometimes, if there is nothing more going on, children like to push the envelope and see what they can get away with, and also if there’s no consequence to them, why shouldn’t they do what they want.

Thank you Linen!

amother
Canary

Post Tue, Feb 22 2022, 7:17 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Please elaborate
Inflammatory and neuroexcitatory foods have been linked in medical literature to increased adhd symptoms. Additionally , sugar can contribute to hyperactivity by feeding yeast and bad gut bugs. Partial list of such foods
Gluten
Dairy
Sugar
Corn
Soy
Food dyes
Msg

Look into REID/Feingold diet. And GAPs diet.
https://unblindmymind.org/
https://www.feingold.org/
https://www.amazon.com/Psychol.....52028
https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod.....psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/Finally.....=8-10

We’ve personally seen tremendous improvement in hyperactivity, impulsivity and sensory seeking with a gluten free, reduced dairy, low sugar and no food dyes diet, plus treating yeast and parasites. And some calming supplements.

Yiddis

Post Tue, Feb 22 2022, 7:22 pm
Save those pictures. It'll be great for a creative entrepreneur press release someday.

amother
Melon

Post Thu, May 05 2022, 8:52 pm
I know how you feel.

Can I ask how getting the diagnosis helped? Recently got a diagnosis for mild asd and ADHD in a kid and while I can see how that makes sense/enlightens me to why some behaviors exist, not much has panned out for us so far in Brooklyn in terms of getting aba, respite, etc. So what else happens as a result of diagnosis in a kid who is on the milder side? Asking genuinely as this entire year I've been trying to not much avail, got diagnosis in oct time.. like did you find aba worthwhile? Did you go the opwdd route? I'm sure there's so much I'm not even aware of that exists. thanks so much

amother
Apple

Post Thu, May 05 2022, 9:00 pm
amother [ Melon ] wrote:
Can I ask how getting the diagnosis helped? Recently got a diagnosis for mild asd and ADHD in a kid and while I can see how that makes sense/enlightens me to why some behaviors exist, not much has panned out for us so far in Brooklyn in terms of getting aba, respite, etc. So what else happens as a result of diagnosis in a kid who is on the milder side? Asking genuinely as this entire year I've been trying to not much avail, got diagnosis in oct time.. like did you find aba worthwhile? Did you go the opwdd route? I'm sure there's so much I'm not even aware of that exists. thanks so much

For.my kid who has mild ADHD it helped because then teachers seemed more understanding rather than "what a bad kid". And I could discuss medications (like asking how it helped, side effects etc). And while I do implement consequences (natural consequences work best for us) I know that sometimes it is beyond their control.
Not in NY so cant help with services. But I found private or insurance covered ones that helped.

amother
Melon

Post Thu, May 05 2022, 9:16 pm
Thanks so much. That's really kind to provide your experience. I'll keep searching and with Hashems help will get some more assistance as well. I am glad we did the evaluation even with all the steps that were involved, it's always good to get some clues into a kid. Haven't begun medication yet. Thanks so much good shabbos Smile

amother
Lightcoral

Post Thu, May 05 2022, 11:03 pm
OP can you get him a sketch book to carry with him so he has something appropriate to color on while riding the bus or other places whether he doesn’t have any things appropriate to color on? It might be easier to redirect the behavior.

amother
Gladiolus

Post Fri, May 06 2022, 1:20 am
Work on sensory input in his hands. Give him playdo or clay to play with, spray a window with shaving cream and let him write in it with his hands. Give him a derbuka to bang on. Very often this type of behavior is due to craving sensory sensation.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics