Home

Is a financial advisor equipped to advise

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Finances


View latest: 24h 48h 72h


amother




OP
 

Post Tue, Mar 01 2022, 7:57 am
about how to manage joint money when there is the possibility of divorce?
Or does this need to be discussed with a lawyer?
Back to top

imasinger




 
 
 
 

Post Tue, Mar 01 2022, 8:01 am
The financial advisor is going to address an issue from the perspective of money and its long term growth vs short term needs.

The lawyer is going to address the issue from a perspective of law and probably fairness.

If you have a nest egg that's going to be a question of how to invest, I'd strongly urge you to consider consulting both. It's worth it in the long run.
Back to top

ellacoe




 
 
 
 

Post Tue, Mar 01 2022, 10:48 am
There are specialists who are CDFAs, Certified Divorce Financial Analysts, many of whom are well versed in this area.
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post Tue, Mar 01 2022, 12:47 pm
ellacoe wrote:
There are specialists who are CDFAs, Certified Divorce Financial Analysts, many of whom are well versed in this area.


and is this the place to go in a case where divorce is only a strong possibility but has not started?
Back to top

ellacoe




 
 
 
 

Post Tue, Mar 01 2022, 4:54 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
and is this the place to go in a case where divorce is only a strong possibility but has not started?


It is hard to answer this as I do not know your objectives.
Are you looking to invest now and want to know your options?
Do you have investments that you are concerned about what will happen?
Also depends where you are located. For example if you are in NY, in most instances all assets accrued during the marriage are divided equitably which is usually 50/50 (not inheritance or payout from injury etc.) So if you are looking to invest in something now and there is a high likelihood that you are getting divorced, whatever you invest in will be split 50/50. If you have a specific question you can PM me or post here, and I can try and steer you in the right direction.
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post Sun, Mar 06 2022, 6:57 am
ellacoe wrote:
It is hard to answer this as I do not know your objectives.
Are you looking to invest now and want to know your options?
Do you have investments that you are concerned about what will happen?
Also depends where you are located. For example if you are in NY, in most instances all assets accrued during the marriage are divided equitably which is usually 50/50 (not inheritance or payout from injury etc.) So if you are looking to invest in something now and there is a high likelihood that you are getting divorced, whatever you invest in will be split 50/50. If you have a specific question you can PM me or post here, and I can try and steer you in the right direction.


Thanks ellacoe, I'm in Israel- are you at all familiar with the system here?
Back to top

ellacoe




 
 
 
 

Post Sun, Mar 06 2022, 11:26 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks ellacoe, I'm in Israel- are you at all familiar with the system here?


Sorry I do not know how the system works there.
I would suggest the first step would be to find out what the laws are there regarding distribution of marital property in a divorce.
Back to top
Recent Topics

Page 1 of 1 View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Finances

Related Topics Replies Last Post
Please advise...
by amother
6 Yesterday at 10:12 am View last post
Financial Advisor to Budget
by amother
1 Fri, Jun 17 2022, 3:40 pm View last post
Financial goals in kollel
by amother
12 Sun, Jun 12 2022, 8:27 pm View last post
Struggling with DD5 - Parenting Advise
by amother
24 Fri, Jun 03 2022, 2:37 pm View last post
I always go over buget, advise?
by amother
5 Thu, Jun 02 2022, 11:58 am View last post