Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Do you skip the "harachamans" when benching if in hurry?
Previous  1  2

PeanutMama

Post Tue, Mar 01 2022, 5:56 pm
agreer wrote:
So sad. It literally takes 2 minutes to say them. Even from a bencher.

Not for me. It takes that amount of time if I bentch in English. In a bentcher that’s lashon kodesh, it takes me like 5-7 minutes.

MitzadSheini

Post Tue, Mar 01 2022, 6:04 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
Very interesting! Does that mean just skipping the 9 Harachamans, or stopping at al yechasreinu?

Yes I should have been more precise, as Dena613 said above, stopping at Al yechsreinu on Shabbat.

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Mar 01 2022, 6:12 pm
agreer wrote:
So sad. It literally takes 2 minutes to say them. Even from a bencher.

Not for everyone.

MitzadSheini

Post Tue, Mar 01 2022, 6:15 pm
MitzadSheini wrote:
Yes was coming to say that I believe this - I.e. say the harachamans during the week but not on Shabbat - is the opinion of Rav Schachter from YU.

And again while I'm being careful to be more precise-. I remember Rav Aryeh Lebowitz mentioning on one of his classes on YUTorah online (I have no idea which one, and as he has close to 10,000 classes there I'll never find it so I can't verify) that he was pretty sure that he had seen Rav Schachter stop after "al yechasreinu" on Shabbas. (And I have personally also seen this at the table of "YUtypeople" (whatever that means and yes I agree putting people in these type of category boxes is usually not a great idea)).

bsy

Post Tue, Mar 01 2022, 6:17 pm
MitzadSheini wrote:
And again while I'm being careful to be more precise-. I remember Rav Aryeh Lebowitz mentioning on one of his classes on YUTorah online (I have no idea which one, and as he has close to 10,000 classes there I'll never find it so I can't verify) that he was pretty sure that he had seen Rav Schachter stop after "al yechasreinu" on Shabbas. (And I have personally also seen this at the table of "YUtypeople" (whatever that means and yes I agree putting people in these type of category boxes is usually not a great idea)).

Chaim Berlin too. I can't bring myself to change though

Einikel

Post Tue, Mar 01 2022, 6:29 pm
zaq wrote:
But if you're really in a rush, just say"Rub-a-dub-dub, thanks for the grub, yea, G-d!" and split. After all, the verse does say "ve'achalta vesavata uvarachta" (you shall eat and you shall be satiated and you shall flee).

Thanks for the laugh!

The Happy Wife

Post Tue, Mar 01 2022, 6:46 pm
MitzadSheini wrote:
Yes was coming to say that I believe this - I.e. say the harachamans during the week but not on Shabbat - is the opinion of Rav Schachter from YU.

I know some Chaim Berlin families that also have this minhag.

BokerTov

Post Tue, Mar 01 2022, 6:50 pm
zaq wrote:
But if you're really in a rush, just say"Rub-a-dub-dub, thanks for the grub, yea, G-d!" and split. After all, the verse does say "ve'achalta vesavata uvarachta" (you shall eat and you shall be satiated and you shall flee).
LOL
This.
Why only skip half of benching?
May as well skip washing too. Or just wash one hand.

BrisketBoss

Post Tue, Mar 01 2022, 7:02 pm
BokerTov wrote:
LOL
This.

Since when is this an all-or-nothing deal? At my Schechter school (Conservative K-8) we used to just do the first paragraph in class and that wasn't nothing. I've since heard that if you like to tune out during bensching, it's most important to have kavana during that paragraph.

singleagain

Post Tue, Mar 01 2022, 7:10 pm
BokerTov wrote:
LOL
This.

Again. On shabbat I personally stop at "Al yechasraenu" bc we don't ask hashem for stuff on shabbat. And harachaman is full of requests.

I was actually so happy to get that back when I got divorced. That if I get remarried I might ask if I could keep that.

(Unless anyone knows a nice guy who stops where I do on shabbat (and Yom tov))

Flip Flops

Post Tue, Mar 01 2022, 7:15 pm
flower2 wrote:
It's a yeshiva thing to skip the harachamans

Really? The only person I know who does it is Israeli.
I live in Lakewood, never heard of this.

flower2

Post Tue, Mar 01 2022, 7:16 pm
Flip Flops wrote:
Really? The only person I know who does it is Israeli.
I live in Lakewood, never heard of this.

Chaim berlin as discussed upthread
And apparently yu also What

BokerTov

Post Tue, Mar 01 2022, 7:36 pm
BrisketBoss wrote:
Since when is this an all-or-nothing deal? At my Schechter school (Conservative K-8) we used to just do the first paragraph in class and that wasn't nothing. I've since heard that if you like to tune out during bensching, it's most important to have kavana during that paragraph.

I am no rav. Not paskening either way. I was just enjoying Zaq’s humor.

nachlaot

Post Tue, Mar 01 2022, 8:23 pm
BokerTov wrote:
LOL
This.

Why can't people just answer the question without shaming/insulting other people and making themselves like better Jews than other people? With the various shamers on here, I wonder if this thread were anonymous, more people would be willing to admit that they skip the harachamans.

Living Princess

Post Tue, Mar 01 2022, 8:55 pm
As far as I know it's Minhag Hagra but I don't know for sure.

Odelyah

Post Thu, Mar 03 2022, 1:55 pm
Yes and ever since I married a Chaim Berliner I feel no guilt Smile
(mostly-since my husband actually says them Hiding )

BatZion

Post Thu, Mar 03 2022, 4:11 pm
Oh nachlaot, you are so right. And the comment where some lady said "so sad....". Condescending much, my dear?

So one of the many advantages of marrying a Yemenite is
a. It's the done thing for the man to bentch for us all. score.
b. Birkat Hamazon is shorter, except when they add in the long host blessing
c. There are the "it is nahug to add in these harachamans" Nahug my friends.
d. There are extra add ons at the end when one has time, especially Shabbatot and Chagim

All in all, good stuff Very Happy

Oh, and we tend not to look down our noses disapprovingly at other people for what they do and don't do.

I am frum and yes I am not always makpid enough about saying birkat hamazon. sad but true. and I'm saying that under my "name" because I am a real, imperfect lady.

Hadasah

Post Sun, Apr 10 2022, 11:18 am
nachlaot wrote:
We really only do the "harachamans" on shabbat, and generally skip them during the week (just doing the 4 blessings)? Is this common?

Never heard of this, but I don't hear of everything.
Always good to ask.
It is a major segula to bentch, even more from inside (people make sure to do once a day)
There are many who have seen tremendous yeshuos and brachos via this simple and proven segula.
Never hurts.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions