Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Salads & Dips
Iso - your great chick peas recipe
1  2  Next

Squash

Post Mon, May 05 2008, 11:30 pm
I have a bag chick peas.

any ideas? dh like the store bought ones. how can I make them like that?

yummydd

Post Tue, May 06 2008, 12:29 am
cook them for hours then add salt and pepper

mama-star

Post Tue, May 06 2008, 10:24 am
add a cup to your cholent. yum!

AGINY

Post Tue, May 06 2008, 10:31 am
Along the lines of YummyDD, I boil them in plain water for a looooooooooong time until they are soft. Then, after draining I pour them onto a clean dishtowel and sprinkle liberally with salt and black pepper. Thant's it. When they are cool I put them into a container in the fridge. They are delicious to nosh, my hnusband and kids love them and are so healthy to just have around when you feel like munching.

I also put about a cupful into my cholent each week.

OldYoung

Post Tue, May 06 2008, 10:34 am
Cook them and make this salad- (I may have posted already somewhere else...)

Chickpea Salad

2 c. chickpeas, cooked and drained (or canned)
2 oz. gr. olives, sliced
2 oz. bl. olives, sliced
1 red pepper, diced
1 sm. red onion, diced
1 can baby corn, chopped

Dressing:
2 oz. oil
2 oz. vinegar
1 T. sugar
1/8 t. black pepper
1/4-1/2 t. salt

Combine salad ingredients in a large bowl. In separate bowl, mix dressing ingredients and pour over salad. (I usually end up using my own salad proportions because I like having more of certain vegetables than others... I like less red pepper and onions. Try whatever works for you.)

loveit

Post Tue, May 06 2008, 12:41 pm
how long does it take to boil them until they are soft? I would love to make some as well.

mimivan

Post Tue, May 06 2008, 12:43 pm
A looooong time...but it is worth it..

Hey, speaking of, I'm iy'h making falafel tommorrow and am trying to dig up my recipe...iy'h I hope I remember to post it.

I like homemade falafel...it's more moist..
roasted chick peas are also a great nut replacement for snacks.

OP if you have the purple spice and the spirit book the recipes are there..otherwise I can post.

or you can make hummmus!!
Homemade is so much better than store bought for hummus..

GetReal

Post Tue, May 06 2008, 1:20 pm
sarahliz wrote:
how long does it take to boil them until they are soft? I would love to make some as well.

I soak them overnight, and then boil them for two hours.

poelmamosh

Post Tue, May 06 2008, 1:28 pm
Squash wrote:
dh like the store bought ones. how can I make them like that?

Once I put in too much salt, so I added like 1/2 tsp of sugar. My sis commented that they tasted just like store-bought (never tasted those). But you gotta cook them til they're really, really soft (then I drain them & add salt & pepper. If I'm making hummus, I reserve some liquid to add to the mixture)

ChossidMom

Post Tue, May 06 2008, 1:36 pm
I soak them overnight and then cook them up for hours. when they are really soft it's really important to dry them on a dishtowel like someone mentioned. Then sprinkle with salt and pepper. They are amazing.

Another good tip is to make them in a pressure cooker. Then they get REALLY soft.

Mimivan - please post your falafel recipe!
Today I bought falafel balls at the super and baked them and served them in pitot with salad and fries. The kids loved it.

Squash

Post Tue, May 06 2008, 2:58 pm
ok thanks for all your great ideas.

I don't have the spice and spirit cookbook.

will try and remember to post my results.

also, do you know if I can freeze them? like if I make an entire package at once, can I freeze little baggies of them?

grin

Post Tue, May 06 2008, 3:17 pm
I use a presssure cooker, so I don't have to cook them for hours. I soak and check them, then brown some onion, add brown rice, water, and the chickpeas, and cook together for about 1/2 houir, then leave it off the fire for another half hour, till it absorbs the water. Delicious!
BTW, the ones from the store are roasted, not cooked.

mimivan

Post Wed, May 07 2008, 10:22 am
Finally...Falafel!!! Thanks for you patience

4 cups soaked, cooked and drained chickpeas
3 cloves minced garlic
2 tbs parsley (I use fresh coriander.. and more than 2 TBs)
2 tbs lemon juice
3 tbs tahina
1/2 tsp tumeric
1 tsp black pepper
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cumin
2 eggs
4 tbs bread crumbs (matzoh meal also works)

cook chickpeas as described in above posts (I like grin's pressure cooker idea)
Place chicks in food processor add all ingredients except for the crumbs and grind together. Put in a bowl, add bread crumbs and make sure it is somewhat stiff. Cover bowl and chill for at least an hour.

form balls with wet hands and fry in 1 1/2 inches of oil. Fry until golden brown...enjoy!!

I also love homemade Hummus and can't find it in the purple book. Anyone have a good recipe. I'm a chick pea lover too!

ChossidMom

Post Wed, May 07 2008, 10:40 am
That is so weird. My sil told me that you don't make falafel with cooked chickpeas. You just soak them and then grind them...??

chocolate moose

Post Wed, May 07 2008, 11:32 am
that seems like a lot of work. I just buy the frozen ones.

as far a s what to do with the chickpeas, why not add them to a salad? soaked and cooked first, of coure.

or cholent.

Mrs. XYZ

Post Wed, May 07 2008, 11:44 am
ChossidMom wrote:
That is so weird. My sil told me that you don't make falafel with cooked chickpeas. You just soak them and then grind them...??

Thats cute, my husband was just telling me a few days ago how his mother used to make falafel, also just by soaking and grinding.

drumjj

Post Wed, May 07 2008, 11:46 am
I make chick pea salad, from a tin of chick peas I fry some cumin seeds a small onion and four tomatoes with some salt pepper some corriander and put the chick peas in and cook it like that and then serve it as a cold chick pea salad

mamacita

Post Wed, May 07 2008, 1:31 pm
I had the yummiest couscous the other day and it had chickpeas in it. I was picking them out and eating them, it went so well together.

grin

Post Wed, May 07 2008, 2:32 pm
Mrs. XYZ wrote:
ChossidMom wrote:

Thats cute, my husband was just telling me a few days ago how his mother used to make falafel, also just by soaking and grinding.

that's right. soak, grind, add seasonings, form balls, and fry.

mimivan

Post Wed, May 07 2008, 2:36 pm
ChossidMom wrote:

Yes..that's another way...I think the recipe also has an alternative for non cooked chick peas...I'll look again.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics