Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism
Okay to watch bible movies ?

it’s okay!

Post Fri, Mar 04 2022, 3:01 pm
YouTube recommended the film “the Ten Commandments” and I really enjoyed watching it. I liked to be able to visualize what it looked like back then and to really be able to picture in my mind the Jewish history. I would obviously never show it to my kids, but for me, who knows the story and obviously not watching it to learn the story, is it okay to watch it?

mushkamothers

Post Fri, Mar 04 2022, 3:01 pm
I wouldn't.

#BestBubby

Post Fri, Mar 04 2022, 3:26 pm
No, it is NOT recommended.

It plants a FAKE picture in your head. You don't want that.

They made some "Romance" for "Moses".

dancingqueen

Post Fri, Mar 04 2022, 4:37 pm
I like that movie.

esuss

Post Fri, Mar 04 2022, 4:49 pm
No.

agreer

Post Fri, Mar 04 2022, 4:51 pm
I love The Ten Commandments!

I ignore the romance.

Is it OK? That's a question for a rav.

imorethanamother

Post Fri, Mar 04 2022, 5:12 pm
it’s okay! wrote:
YouTube recommended the film “the Ten Commandments” and I really enjoyed watching it. I liked to be able to visualize what it looked like back then and to really be able to picture in my mind the Jewish history. I would obviously never show it to my kids, but for me, who knows the story and obviously not watching it to learn the story, is it okay to watch it?

So you’re watching lots of YouTube videos but you’re concerned, halachicly, about watching bible movies?

Just wondering why you’re even asking here. You know what answers you’re going to get. And I’m speaking as someone who loves Prince of Egypt and also watches YouTube.

PinkFridge

Post Sat, Mar 05 2022, 9:39 pm
it’s okay! wrote:

But it's not really visualizing it. Study pictures of the desert, what people wore a few thousand years ago and use your koach hadimyon. I think it's safe to say that Charleston Heston did not much resemble Moshe Rabbeinu.

zaq

Post Sun, Mar 06 2022, 11:12 am
PinkFridge wrote:
I think it's safe to say that Charleston Heston did not much resemble Moshe Rabbeinu.

Why not? We can be fairly sure he was tall and strong, with upright posture and a good head of hair, since Chumash tells us that even at age 120 he had not lost his youthful vigor. From living outdoors he was probably deeply tanned. Of course we have no idea what shape nose and eyes he had, Does any of that matter?

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Mar 06 2022, 11:22 am
it’s okay! wrote:
I dont see an issue, but Ive watched even christian movies before, if the topic interested me. I know the truth and dont see what the issue could really be.
We know its not real, its just a movie.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Mar 06 2022, 11:46 am
zaq wrote:
Why not? We can be fairly sure he was tall and strong, with upright posture and a good head of hair, since Chumash tells us that even at age 120 he had not lost his youthful vigor. From living outdoors he was probably deeply tanned. Of course we have no idea what shape nose and eyes he had, Does any of that matter?

You know, after I hit send I thought, for all I know.... Still if I were going to picture Moshe Rabbeinu I don't want the imagery for this film to do it.

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Mar 06 2022, 7:55 pm
no
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics