Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Vaccinations
Israeli child tests positive for polio
  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 07 2022, 9:01 am
Four-year-old Israeli child tests positive for polio, first case since 1989

Child and family are not vaccinated.

The Israeli toddler may remain paralyzed in half of his body as a result

Frumwithallergies

Post Mon, Mar 07 2022, 9:03 am
Crying Banging head
No words.

amother
Amaryllis

Post Mon, Mar 07 2022, 9:06 am
I heard its an unvaxxed arab child, anyone know? I'm curious what neighborhood this happened in. So scary. the article on arutz sheva seems to be saying he may have caught it after coming in contact with a child who'd received the oral live virus vaccine, which they do give here sometimes, and can spread the actual virus to those who aren't vaxxed. https://www.israelnationalnews.....23436

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 07 2022, 9:09 am
amother [ Amaryllis ] wrote:
I heard its an unvaxxed arab child, anyone know? I'm curious what neighborhood this happened in. So scary. the article on arutz sheva seems to be saying he may have caught it after coming in contact with a child who'd received the oral live virus vaccine, which they do give here sometimes, and can spread the actual virus to those who aren't vaxxed. https://www.israelnationalnews.....23436

That’s crazy bec aren’t Unvaxxed babies at risk?

amother
Amaryllis

Post Mon, Mar 07 2022, 9:20 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
That’s crazy bec aren’t Unvaxxed babies at risk?

I would hope they don't give the drops to children who have newborn siblings at home, but yea, kinda scary.
"A four-year-old child, a resident of Jerusalem, has been diagnosed with polio. The child had allegedly not been vaccinated against the polio virus.

The source of the infection in this case appears to be shedded virus from the vaccine itself which was able to cause illness in an unvaccinated person."- Arutz 7

amother
Crystal

Post Mon, Mar 07 2022, 9:28 am
I would hope they don't give the drops to children who have newborn siblings at home, but yea, kinda scary.
"A four-year-old child, a resident of Jerusalem, has been diagnosed with polio. The child had allegedly not been vaccinated against the polio virus.

The source of the infection in this case appears to be shedded virus from the vaccine itself which was able to cause illness in an unvaccinated person."- Arutz 7

And this is how unvaxxed people are a danger to society. The more unvaxxed we have, the more the diseases can circulate, the more those who can't be vaccinated are put at risk.

In terms of such horrible diseases like polio, the resistance is mind boggling. Hopefully, this one case will be sufficient to change up some things. I see that the Rabbonim are calling for all unvaxxed in the area to be vaxxed immediately. B'H. Hopefully, this can be nipped in the bud, before the negative repercussions worsen.

amother
Maple

Post Mon, Mar 07 2022, 9:31 am
amother [ Crystal ] wrote:
And this is how unvaxxed people are a danger to society. The more unvaxxed we have, the more the diseases can circulate, the more those who can't be vaccinated are put at risk.

In terms of such horrible diseases like polio, the resistance is mind boggling. Hopefully, this one case will be sufficient to change up some things. I see that the Rabbonim are calling for all unvaxxed in the area to be vaxxed immediately. B'H. Hopefully, this can be nipped in the bud, before the negative repercussions worsen.

Actually in this case the VACCINATED child was literally a danger to society but sure carry on...

rae

Post Mon, Mar 07 2022, 9:33 am
Why are they vaccinating with a live virus that can shed??
And you’re blaming the unvacced when this child got the virus from a vaccinated child??
All leaky vaccines should be banned. What happened to caring about those that cannot be vaccinated.

amother
Grape

Post Mon, Mar 07 2022, 9:37 am

bla bla bla

Have we learned NOTHING yet other than the blame game?

amother
Crystal

Post Mon, Mar 07 2022, 9:37 am
amother [ Maple ] wrote:
Actually in this case the VACCINATED child was literally a danger to society but sure carry on...

Not really. Because the current setup is designed that all 4 year old children are expected to be vaccinated. If you choose to step away from the current design - a design that was set up to protect the public - then you knowingly and purposefully accepted the risk.

You can't break a link in the chain, and then start blaming someone else for the break.

amother
Cherry

Post Mon, Mar 07 2022, 9:40 am

“Unvaxxed ppl are a danger to society” is completely off the mark in this case… the vaccine itself caused this. Not sure how you came to that conclusion from this news.
Where do you see rabbonim calling out for vaccines? I’ve not seen anything on this matter besides this thread. Of course I know a news site was quoted but curious where you see it? I actually just asked a nurse on this and she said having everyone suddenly vaccinated may spread this more.

amother
Crystal

Post Mon, Mar 07 2022, 9:42 am
rae wrote:
And you’re blaming the unvacced when this child got the virus from a vaccinated child??
All leaky vaccines should be banned. What happened to caring about those that cannot be vaccinated.

Agree that all leaky vaccines should be banned. But yes, the unvaxxed child is the blame. Barring the consideration that the child is ill and couldn't be vaxxed, this would have never happened if the child was vaxxed.

The alternative to not having a mandatory polio vax is to go back to the early 1900s when children were struck left and right. Israel is boasting 30 years without a polio case, and that is because of the vaccine. So someone who opts out of the polio vaccine, puts themselves at risk at contracting it and endangers the public.

amother
Amaryllis

Post Mon, Mar 07 2022, 9:42 am
amother [ Cherry ] wrote:
“Unvaxxed ppl are a danger to society” is completely off the mark in this case… the vaccine itself caused this. Not sure how you came to that conclusion from this news.
Where do you see rabbonim calling out for vaccines? I’ve not seen anything on this matter besides this thread. Of course I know a news site was quoted but curious where you see it? I actually just asked a nurse on this and she said having everyone suddenly vaccinated may spread this more.

https://www.theyeshivaworld.co......html

amother
Amaryllis

Post Mon, Mar 07 2022, 9:46 am
practically speaking for those of you who live here- I walked into tipat chalav today without an appointment and boosted my toddler who wasn't up to date (NOT the live oral drops, just the shot). Just do it.

amother
Magenta

Post Mon, Mar 07 2022, 9:47 am
Agree that all leaky vaccines should be banned. But yes, the unvaxxed child is the blame. Barring the consideration that the child is ill and couldn't be vaxxed, this would have never happened if the child was vaxxed.

The alternative to not having a mandatory polio vax is to go back to the early 1900s when children were struck left and right. Israel is boasting 30 years without a polio case, and that is because of the vaccine. So someone who opts out of the polio vaccine, puts themselves at risk at contracting it and endangers the public.

You mean the child's PARENTS are to blame.

professor

Post Mon, Mar 07 2022, 9:47 am
This is so scary :0

amother
Magenta

Post Mon, Mar 07 2022, 9:49 am

Likely the child is Arab and contracted it from abroad. It seems to be understood that even though this is a shedded variant, the child contracted the virus from another infected person.

amother
Amaryllis

Post Mon, Mar 07 2022, 9:52 am
amother [ Magenta ] wrote:
Likely the child is Arab and contracted it from abroad. It seems to be understood that even though this is a shedded variant, the child contracted the virus from another infected person.

The child is a girl from Meah Shearim. The research thus far seems quite clear she contracted it from the mutant shedded variant but investigation is ongoing. It seems like someone close to her had recently gotten the oral drops.

"A four-year-old from Jerusalem has contracted polio, the first case in Israel in 33 years, the Health Ministry reported Sunday.

The child’s case was caused by a mutant polio strain that can infect those who are unvaccinated. Doctors fear that the child will suffer permanent damage, including paralysis in half of her body, Channel 12 News reported.

The parents brought the child for medical testing due to weakness in the left side of her body.

The Jerusalem Municipality reported that the child is a 4-year-old girl from Mea Shearim. As Health Ministry officials believe that the case is not an isolated one and may be just the tip of the iceberg of dozens and perhaps even hundreds of asymptomatic cases, an emergency meeting with the participation of the dayanim of the Eidah Chareidis is taking place on Monday afternoon."

amother
Cherry

Post Mon, Mar 07 2022, 9:53 am
practically speaking for those of you who live here- I walked into tipat chalav today without an appointment and boosted my toddler who wasn't up to date (NOT the live oral drops, just the shot). Just do it.

How would I know if my kid is up to date? How many shots are they supposed to have had? I can check the book but I dunno what I’m looking for… I did all the vaccines so I assume it has been done but I’d like to double check

amother
Magenta

Post Mon, Mar 07 2022, 9:54 am
rae wrote:

In 2013 they found traces of polio in the sewage and there was fear (that never became reality) that someone unvaccinated would contract the virus.

It's self-understood that those who choose not to vaccinate are not going to vaccinate just because there was polio in the sewage, so what the government did was push all the vaccinating parents to protect the elderly and immunocompromised, and also to protect all the anti-vaxxers' kids, and get the OPV. After three doses of IPV, the OPV is safe. IPV, meanwhile, requires a series to be effective, and OPV without IPV is not safe, so in addition to the fact that the unvaxxed kids were not going to get vaxxed, it was quicker to just shove OPV down the vaxxers' kids throats (literally).

After they reinstated the OPV they just kept it in the schedule. But the point was to prevent unvaxxed kids from getting sick and passing it on. Or in other words, to allow anti-vaxxers to keep their privilege.

But the point is that this was done to PROTECT those who can't be vaccinated (IPV lets you be a carrier but not be sick; OPV doesn't let you be a carrier). And everyone who gave their kid OPV was told to keep their kid away from anyone elderly or immunocompromised for two weeks, just in case.
Page 1 of 6   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics