Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Vaccinations
Israeli child tests positive for polio
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

amother
Amaryllis

Post Mon, Mar 07 2022, 10:22 am
amother [ Cherry ] wrote:
She’s not a monster, she just explained that in her opinion she feels she can better manage polio and would therefore rather that. That doesn’t make anyone a monster.
Perhaps we can leave name calling out. Doesn’t help anything

Wishing for a lethal disease that strikes helpless children?? Bring on the Polio?? Not nice.

theoneandonly

Post Mon, Mar 07 2022, 10:23 am
Anyone know how long after my baby gets the opv I should keep her away from immunocompromised ppl? How long does it shed for?

amother
Magenta

Post Mon, Mar 07 2022, 10:28 am
theoneandonly wrote:
Anyone know how long after my baby gets the opv I should keep her away from immunocompromised ppl? How long does it shed for?

AFAIK two weeks. But check with your Tipat Chalav.

amother
Magenta

Post Mon, Mar 07 2022, 10:32 am
amother [ Amaryllis ] wrote:
Wishing for a lethal disease that strikes helpless children?? Bring on the Polio?? Not nice.

After two years of pandemic and another year of measles, which also strikes helpless children and lands them in the ICU for weeks? I think "OUT with corona, BRING ON the polio" in context is just fine. If we weren't in the middle of a pandemic, you'd be right. But we are, and have been for two years, so you're wrong.

It's essentially a wish for a lot less people to be infected and a lot less people to be hospitalized, for everyone's lives to go back to normal (no masks, no tests, no ECMOs or ventilators or PIMS), and everyone who wants to protect their children to be able to effectively and quickly do so.

And it is my fervent hope that anyone who has thus far refused to vaccinate their child will be scared silly from this and bring their kids in to get the vaccine.

amother
Amaryllis

Post Mon, Mar 07 2022, 10:36 am
amother [ Magenta ] wrote:
After two years of pandemic and another year of measles, which also strikes helpless children and lands them in the ICU for weeks? I think "OUT with corona, BRING ON the polio" in context is just fine. If we weren't in the middle of a pandemic, you'd be right. But we are, and have been for two years, so you're wrong.

It's essentially a wish for a lot less people to be infected and a lot less people to be hospitalized, for everyone's lives to go back to normal (no masks, no tests, no ECMOs or ventilators or PIMS), and everyone who wants to protect their children to be able to effectively and quickly do so.

And it is my fervent hope that anyone who has thus far refused to vaccinate their child will be scared silly from this and bring their kids in to get the vaccine.

But...but...but Science?? A polio outbreak won't help the pandemic. Nor will it cure Measles. We'll just be dealing with one more thing in this already difficult time. So wishing for Polio right now, or even saying Bring On Polio at a time like this is just not nice.

frumama

Post Mon, Mar 07 2022, 10:45 am

Why can't you just wish for the pandemic to end. Why do you feel you need to wish for a replacement.
I could understand your feeling that polio would be better given the choice, but Hashem runs the world not us,so we don't have a choice. Even in this context, "bring on the polio" is shocking. You ever hear the adage "careful what you wish for". Think about what your saying please.

amother
Cherry

Post Mon, Mar 07 2022, 10:50 am

No it’s not. It’s a disgusting thing to say!

Genius

Post Mon, Mar 07 2022, 10:51 am

It sounds awful in context! Nauseating. I lived many years with no outbreak. We don’t need anything! They don’t cancel each other out. מנע מגיפה מנחלתיך. We don’t have to make a deal with Hashem. Take two leave a third, he can get rid of all of them. Hashem yerachem!

amother
Azure

Post Mon, Mar 07 2022, 11:16 am
The only explanation someone could possibly think polio is less lethal especially for children than measles, coronavirus, or many more illnesses R"L is because it has largely been eradicated in the modern world since around the 1960's relatively speaking so people may be ignorant of its history.
Polio is a horrific and terrifying disease a scourge which irrevocably and permanently crippled and killed many children. Understandably, it was greatly feared before Jonas Salk developed a phenomenal vaccine which conveyed virtually full life long immunity B"H. In the US the vaccine became widely administered to children in the 1960's. Prior to that people used to send kids out of the cities in the summer to hopefully minimize contagion.
My heart goes out to this child and family.
May we know no more magefos and milchamos.
Hashem Yishmor!

amother
Magenta

Post Mon, Mar 07 2022, 11:23 am
But...but...but Science?? A polio outbreak won't help the pandemic. Nor will it cure Measles. We'll just be dealing with one more thing in this already difficult time. So wishing for Polio right now, or even saying Bring On Polio at a time like this is just not nice.

That really depends.
It wouldn't be unheard of - far from it - for polio to become the dominant virus in circulation, canceling out corona and ending the current pandemic. It's not a guarantee, but it's certainly within the realm of possible.
I'm not wishing for polio, I'm wishing for an end to these outbreaks of airborne viruses that don't allow parents to keep their kids safe. It's been literally one after the other for almost four years. All because some people won't take precautions.
At this point any outbreak of something that's not airborne AND has an effective vaccine to prevent it sounds like an absolute dream.
You can disagree but how about not derailing the thread or turning it into a thread about me personally.

amother
Magenta

Post Mon, Mar 07 2022, 11:25 am
amother [ Azure ] wrote:
The only explanation someone could possibly think polio is less lethal especially for children than measles, coronavirus, or many more illnesses R"L is because it has largely been eradicated in the modern world since around the 1960's relatively speaking so people may be ignorant of its history.
Polio is a horrific and terrifying disease a scourge which irrevocably and permanently crippled and killed many children. Understandably, it was greatly feared before Jonas Salk developed a phenomenal vaccine which conveyed virtually full life long immunity B"H. Prior to that people used to send kids out of the cities in the summer to hopefully minimize contagion.
My heart goes out to this child and family.
May we know no more magefos and milchamos.
Hashem Yishmor!

Amen to the bolded.

I don't think the virus is less lethal.

I think it's easier to prevent. I'm sick of my children's lives being in the hands of people who couldn't care less about them because there's no vaccine available to protect them.

I'll take something that I can easily prevent over something that lets others play Russian roulette with my children's health...any day. And ya know I wouldn't feel this way if people had vaxxed their kids, avoiding the measles outbreak, and taken normal precautions so that covid would've ended already.

amother
Amaryllis

Post Mon, Mar 07 2022, 11:28 am
That really depends.
It wouldn't be unheard of - far from it - for polio to become the dominant virus in circulation, canceling out corona and ending the current pandemic. It's not a guarantee, but it's certainly within the realm of possible.
I'm not wishing for polio, I'm wishing for an end to these outbreaks of airborne viruses that don't allow parents to keep their kids safe. It's been literally one after the other for almost four years. All because some people won't take precautions.
At this point any outbreak of something that's not airborne AND has an effective vaccine to prevent it sounds like an absolute dream.
You can disagree but how about not derailing the thread or turning it into a thread about me personally.

If Polio becomes the dominant virus in circulation chas v'chalila something will have had to go terribly wrong and Hashem watch over all of us and our children. But even if it does manage to spread and infect children...can you really compare that to children catching corona?? Incomparable. Not even a conversation. How many children do you know paralyzed from Corona??

amother
Amaryllis

Post Mon, Mar 07 2022, 11:30 am
And ya know I wouldn't feel this way if people had vaxxed their kids, avoiding the measles outbreak, and taken normal precautions so that covid would've ended already.

Do elaborate on this. I'm curious to hear your thoughts on how we could have ended this pandemic through normal precautions.

amother
Wallflower

Post Mon, Mar 07 2022, 11:35 am
Round and round we go. Parents who don’t believe in vaccination will just look at this story and think it won’t happen to them.

I have a relative - young, born in Israel the 80s - who had polio and was paralyzed for life.

Anyone have this girl’s name so we can daven for her? No one should have to suffer for the sins of their parents.

Thisisnotmyreal

Post Mon, Mar 07 2022, 11:40 am
Polio spreads through contaminated water and food as long as we have good infrastructure and hygiene in place this is not scary.

amother
Magenta

Post Mon, Mar 07 2022, 11:50 am
Thisisnotmyreal wrote:
Polio spreads through contaminated water and food as long as we have good infrastructure and hygiene in place this is not scary.

Exactly. (Not that little kids are great at hygiene, but still.)

Which is why I'd rather an outbreak of polio.

To the poster who said there would have to be something terribly wrong - well, not really, because the same pockets at risk for polio outbreaks are the worst risk factors when it comes to corona outbreaks also. All we need is for in those specific pockets polio overpowers corona, and in the rest of the population corona dies out and isn't restarted. It's not *very* likely to happen, but it is still possible.

amother
Magenta

Post Mon, Mar 07 2022, 11:51 am
Do elaborate on this. I'm curious to hear your thoughts on how we could have ended this pandemic through normal precautions.

Nope, not going to take the bait and derail this thread more than y'all have already done.

Genius

Post Mon, Mar 07 2022, 11:58 am

To the poster who said there would have to be something terribly wrong - well, not really, because the same pockets at risk for polio outbreaks are the worst risk factors when it comes to corona outbreaks also. All we need is for in those specific pockets polio overpowers corona, and in the rest of the population corona dies out and isn't restarted. It's not *very* likely to happen, but it is still possible.

Just stop!!! Stop saying awful things! You wish people would get polio because you decided that it will make covid go?! Please. Just please stop. Go say tehillim if that will make you stop spewing this idiocy.

Nobody is giving anyone a choice of which disease we rather want. So no one asked you to choose.

amother
Amaryllis

Post Mon, Mar 07 2022, 12:29 pm

To the poster who said there would have to be something terribly wrong - well, not really, because the same pockets at risk for polio outbreaks are the worst risk factors when it comes to corona outbreaks also. =

Extremely debatable. Those pockets have high herd immunity when it comes to corona.

dena613

Post Mon, Mar 07 2022, 12:31 pm
I think that any sane person would say
WE DO NOT WANT ANY SICKNESSES!
NO MACHALOS AT ALL!!!

I don't understand people here who want polio??????!!!!!!
Page 3 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics