Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Cleaning oil gunk from candlesticks

cozyblanket

Post Mon, Mar 07 2022, 2:56 pm
We scrubbed and it didn't improve much. Any tricks?

zaq

Post Mon, Mar 07 2022, 3:17 pm
Oil or wax? Dawn dishwashing liquid is an excellent grease remover, is used to degrease birds and other animals that have been caught in petroleum spills, and should easily remove the oil from your leichter.

Wax is a whole nother smoke. It will not come off with detergent. Try this: Set your leichter on several layers of newspaper, turn on your blow-dryer and aim it at your leichter. The heat should melt the wax, which will drip onto the newspaper. While the wax is still hot, and while wearing gloves, use a soft rag to wipe off the remaining residue.

If by "gunk" you mean the burnt brown or black stuff, fuhgeddaboudit. You can try scraping it off with the edge of a credit card but your chances of complete success are slim. If you have glass, ceramic or stainless steel leichter, you can try oven cleaner on them. If you don't care for lye-based cleaner, try soaking in straight bleach. If that doesn't work, give Barkeeper's Friend, baking soda or Bon Ami a try. DO NOT DO THIS to silver or brass leichter.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Mon, Mar 07 2022, 3:43 pm
Use boiling water for oil and/or wax drippings. On crystal I don't know if its safe.
The boiling water should be collectedbin a plastic bags or similar, don't let it run into the drain of your sink.
I once did it and it blocked up my sink terribly, not even caustics soda solved the problem. I had to unscrewthe whole thing below the sink. I found a huge ball of candle wax in it...

cozyblanket

Post Mon, Mar 07 2022, 3:46 pm
Oil

Hardened oil residue

I mean I scrubbed it with warm water and Ajax but if you think I should try Dawn I will give it a try!

Yes, it's crystal. I keep the water nicely warm but not hot.

cozyblanket

Post Wed, Mar 09 2022, 11:15 am
Just bumping in case there are any other suggestions.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics