Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Renting a HOUSE in FB?

amother

Post Tue, May 06 2008, 9:04 am
So I have had it with my apartment. Were expecting our second (only a few weeks to go) and I have no space to breathe! literally. We have been searching for a house, but honestly, I dont want buying our first home to be something we do "in a hurry" just out of desperation to get out of our gross living conditions, because we do not want to mess this up, and want to be able to look and not be frantic because we need to get out.

Therefore, we decided that maybe it would be k'dai to just rent a HOUSE (because the apartment offers no space) for a few months which hopefully we can move into right before or right after the new baby IY"H, so that we can look and not feel pressured, and so we can have a bit more living space, because I'm going out of my mind and I don't know how Ill handle w/ two kids in here.

I really am adamantly opposed to moving into yet another apartment in another building. I dont want stairs, I dont want a key to my mailbox, I dont want to hear creaking floors every time someone upstairs rolls over at night. I dont like hearing when our neighbors go to the bathroom. I want a HOME, even if its not my own, for a few months, an address that DOESN'T have "apartment X" on it.

So my question, because Im very inexperienced in the home renting arena: where do I even begin to look for such a thing? We want to stay in FB. Are there agents that deal specifically with this? Websites? I tried luach.com, and other things like classifieds and craigslist, but they are all for apartments. Any help or leads would be greatly appreciated.

amother

Post Tue, May 06 2008, 12:02 pm
doesnt ANYONE rent and have any ideas 4 me?

STovah

Post Tue, May 06 2008, 12:13 pm
I guess I'm fortunate that I don't hear my neighbors in the building going to the bathroom. I know exactly what you mean about not wanting to live in a building anymore. Renting a full house, or renting part of a two family house in Flatbush is a lot more expensive than renting in a building (which is why we're staying put in our apartment until we find something to buy). The range I've heard for an apartment in a private house is $1300-$1900 (renting a whole house is more than that), and that doesn't always include heat. You can check the Jewish Press for apartment listings, and let people know you are looking for an apartment as a lot of these apartments go by word of mouth.

BoomChickaPop

Post Tue, May 06 2008, 1:30 pm
Renting a house is more expensive than renting an apartment. You could look at 2/3 bedroom apartments in private houses, if you don't want the steps then you could only look at apartments on the first floor....Look in the Jewish Press and of course word of mouth...Good Luck.

amother

Post Tue, May 06 2008, 1:41 pm
HappyHome wrote:
Renting a house is more expensive than renting an apartment.

Yes Im well aware. But were ready to buy a house at this point, so were ok with spending that much more for something more comfortable than our current shack of a shack. But we havent found anything we love (to buy), and time is of the essence with the a 2nd on the way and all. So I dont mind "wasting" six months of money on rent rather than mortgage payments, if it means waiting for a really perfect deal. Now one might never come along and then we can "settle," but w/ the housing market looking as it does now, I DO believe we will find something w/ some patience

HappyHome wrote:

You could look at 2/3 bedroom apartments in private houses, if you don't want the steps then you could only look at apartments on the first floor....

so that doesnt exist as far as Ive seen. Owner takes main floor, and gives basement (if avail) and upstairs to tenants. I dont want an upstairs (I dont want any more shlepping groceries up stairs, I want a driveway, etc). And basement isnt an option at all obviously.
HappyHome wrote:

Look in the Jewish Press and of course word of mouth...Good Luck.

Thanks...
I was hoping for the 'word of mouth' part thru imamother perhaps. I have last weeks Jewish press and I made a few phone calls, but nothing that great....

STovah

Post Tue, May 06 2008, 1:42 pm
Keep in mind also that the move will cost you as well. If you guys are planning on buying a house within the next few months, it may not pay to spend close to $1000 moving, only to do it again a few months later.

red sea

Post Tue, May 06 2008, 1:43 pm
I just heard of something but would have to get the info from s/o else but many pple will not rent a house if you dont sign a lease for longer than 6 months. You can pm me , I will try to get the info for you.

cassandra

Post Tue, May 06 2008, 1:46 pm
I would also think it would be difficult to find a month to month house rental.

amother

Post Tue, May 06 2008, 1:48 pm
red sea wrote:
I just heard of something but would have to get the info from s/o else but many pple will not rent a house if you dont sign a lease for longer than 6 months. You can pm me , I will try to get the info for you.

do you have an email address? can I email you? I dont want to reveal myself because people know me on here...I dont like any finances to be known on here I cant explain it...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries