Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Vaccinations
Polio Vaccine for the Unvaccinated
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

Amarante

Post Sun, Mar 13 2022, 1:43 pm
Every reliable news source indicates that the four year old was NOT vaccinated nor was his family.

Sources include Wall Street Journal

According to news sources polio appears to be somewhat endemic in Israel although many cases are not reported. This is based on testing sewage for the virus.

Only herd immunity protects people. Since the vaccine is administered to infants at a relatively young age most infants would be protected until they are vaccinated since most parents follow normal precautions of not exposing infants to risk situations - and of course vaccinated mothers who nurse provide protection to their infants.

amother
Calendula

Post Sun, Mar 13 2022, 1:51 pm
OP - to answer your question I would start the scheduled ipv shots and slowly but surely you'll get through them.
Yes the live vaccine is given here, thats a well known established fact.
The polio vaccine is combined with HIB and Dtap here- thats five shots in one including polio. It's an intense shot and it's just plain dumb to say that no kids react to it. My kids are generally sick for a few days afterwards, some with high fever and vomiting, but then they are fine- its quick and ultimately beneficial in the long run even if its a few days of fever. There's the option to get just the dead polio vax and not the hib-ipv-dtap. If the reason you're vaccine cautious is because your kids have severe reactions I'd definitely choose that option for now. My tipat chalav told me they still have some of the plain polio vaccines as opposed to the five.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 13 2022, 2:39 pm
amother [ Calendula ] wrote:
OP - to answer your question I would start the scheduled ipv shots and slowly but surely you'll get through them.
Yes the live vaccine is given here, thats a well known established fact.
The polio vaccine is combined with HIB and Dtap here- thats five shots in one including polio. It's an intense shot and it's just plain dumb to say that no kids react to it. My kids are generally sick for a few days afterwards, some with high fever and vomiting, but then they are fine- its quick and ultimately beneficial in the long run even if its a few days of fever. There's the option to get just the dead polio vax and not the hib-ipv-dtap. If the reason you're vaccine cautious is because your kids have severe reactions I'd definitely choose that option for now. My tipat chalav told me they still have some of the plain polio vaccines as opposed to the five.

The only option on the table now is the polio alone. OPV is too scary to consider so is IPV worth it even though one needs to wait some time between doses?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 13 2022, 2:40 pm
amother [ Nemesia ] wrote:
So what I would do is give the polio vaccine.
If the virus is found in a first world country, I would definitely give it. Polio is one Illness where the pros GREATLY outweigh the cons, and the ingredients in the vaccines are not terrible, just don’t mix with others!

It’s also an older vaccine, which generally means it’s a more important one (not going to get fully into that now)

A great book for anyone who is looking to learn more about vaccines (both pro and con!) is the vaccine book by dr Robert sears

And there is nothing wrong with learning about major chemicals that we put into our body!!

I hear you. I'm assuming you mean the IPV, not OPV.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 13 2022, 2:41 pm
amother [ Maroon ] wrote:
How about homeoprophylaxis?
It was used during the measles outbreak

I would love more info on this. Where can I find research, effectiveness, possible side effects?

amother
Azure

Post Sun, Mar 13 2022, 3:13 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I don't need hysteria thankyou. I do know the catchup schedule which is as posted in my OP. Hence my question.

There was no hysteria in her post, just the actual medical recommendations in such a situation. The fact that you don't like the official medical advice, doesn't make it out to be hysteria.

amother
Zinnia

Post Sun, Mar 13 2022, 3:18 pm
I would call my pediatrician and get my kids the polio vax.

amother
Calendula

Post Sun, Mar 13 2022, 3:19 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
The only option on the table now is the polio alone. OPV is too scary to consider so is IPV worth it even though one needs to wait some time between doses?

Yes of course its worth it. You have no idea how long this will go on, get the process started now

amother
Mauve

Post Sun, Mar 13 2022, 4:11 pm
Maybe not directly relevant, but years ago I knew a woman from Hungary who had had Polio in her childhood. It had left her with a terrible, permanent limp. When she walked, it would make her whole body sway and wobble with every step. Not something I'd want my children to catch. They all got vaccinated, though our youngest one got only the IPV by my decision and not the OPV because of an intestinal issue.

amother
Silver

Post Sun, Mar 13 2022, 5:00 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

I don't know for certain - best to ask a Tipat Chalav nurse - but I am almost certain that the IPV is only given as part of the "mechumash" - HIB, IPV, DTaP - and is not available on its own.

amother
Calendula

Post Sun, Mar 13 2022, 5:03 pm
amother [ Silver ] wrote:
I don't know for certain - best to ask a Tipat Chalav nurse - but I am almost certain that the IPV is only given as part of the "mechumash" - HIB, IPV, DTaP - and is not available on its own.

I asked last week at my tipat chalav. They said they had some plain ipv's left but not many

amother
PlumPink

Post Sun, Mar 13 2022, 5:23 pm
juggling wrote:
I don't know. Official sources in the health ministry say the child was not vaccinated.

I trust the parents of the child before the health ministry

amother
Heather

Post Sun, Mar 13 2022, 5:46 pm
Polio is probably the most important vaccination out there! Where I come from it is illegal to not give it. If untill the age of two it is not registered in the government that the kid has gotten all the polio vaccins you have police and child services at your door

amother
Candycane

Post Sun, Mar 13 2022, 5:47 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I don't need hysteria thankyou. I do know the catchup schedule which is as posted in my OP. Hence my question.

This isnt hysteria. There are many people who dont vaccinate because it isnt a risk now for them. But it is a risk now. So you should do it and ask actual medical professionals what to choose. It might depend on where you live. But polio isnt gone and anyone unvaccinated is in danger.

amother
Emerald

Post Sun, Mar 13 2022, 7:20 pm
I don’t understand why they give the live vaccine if there’s another option.

But to answer if one dose is better than no dose, I’m pretty sure it is. My son has gotten his first dose of every vaccine and I’m taking the test a little slower. Dr said that’s fine.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 13 2022, 11:19 pm
amother [ Emerald ] wrote:
I don’t understand why they give the live vaccine if there’s another option.

But to answer if one dose is better than no dose, I’m pretty sure it is. My son has gotten his first dose of every vaccine and I’m taking the test a little slower. Dr said that’s fine.

Do you live in Israel?

amother
Wandflower

Post Sun, Mar 13 2022, 11:21 pm
amother [ Heather ] wrote:
Polio is probably the most important vaccination out there! Where I come from it is illegal to not give it. If untill the age of two it is not registered in the government that the kid has gotten all the polio vaccins you have police and child services at your door

Wow! Can I ask what country this is?

amother
Blush

Post Mon, Mar 14 2022, 6:11 am
Tipat chalav nurse here. We dont give opv to unvaccinated, the child must have had at least 2 doses of ipv first. If u want to give ipv alone and not as part of mechumeshet (please bear in mind u can also give 1 dose mechumeshet then the rest ipv alone-I say this because it includes tetanus, which if a kid has had no vaccines against and needs in an emergency neccessitates a special vaccine which isnt held in all hospitals and could very well mean a run to eg tel hashomer) ring ur tipat chalav first - we only get small quantities of ipv alone delivered and they run out fast.
1 dose offers some protection for a smaller window of time, of course we recommend to compelete the full course

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 14 2022, 8:23 am
amother [ Blush ] wrote:
Tipat chalav nurse here. We dont give opv to unvaccinated, the child must have had at least 2 doses of ipv first. If u want to give ipv alone and not as part of mechumeshet (please bear in mind u can also give 1 dose mechumeshet then the rest ipv alone-I say this because it includes tetanus, which if a kid has had no vaccines against and needs in an emergency neccessitates a special vaccine which isnt held in all hospitals and could very well mean a run to eg tel hashomer) ring ur tipat chalav first - we only get small quantities of ipv alone delivered and they run out fast.
1 dose offers some protection for a smaller window of time, of course we recommend to compelete the full course

Thank you for this info.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 28 2022, 4:23 pm
Came to update this thread after the other vaccination thread brought this forum onto the home page. So far I haven't done anything, and so far BH it seems like there's no need to do anything. I'm keeping my eyes and ears on top of the situation and should thing ch"v change, I will reconsider the status quo.
Page 2 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics