Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Vaccinations
Polio Vaccine for the Unvaccinated
Previous  1  2  3  4  5

Ema of 5

Post Wed, Aug 10 2022, 12:23 pm
amother [ Poppy ] wrote:
new vaccines are constantly being added to the schedule. Please google cdc vaccine schedule 2022 and compare it to 10 years ago, then 20 years ago, and then 40.

10, 20, and 40 years ago is not constantly. Also not everything on the schedule is mandatory for school. The first example that comes to mind is the flu shot. There are others though. As time goes on, some will be added and some will be removed. That doesn’t mean all need to be given.
In terms of the polio vaccine though, which is what this discussion is really about, it HAS been proven to be safe.

amother
Birch

Post Wed, Aug 10 2022, 12:26 pm
Ema of 4 wrote:
I’m on the fence about vaccines, and wish that I would be able to selectively vaccinate. Vaccines come with risks, but so do many of the diseases they prevent. As someone else said, vaccines do not contain more aluminum than many of the foods we eat. The polio vaccine DOES have a good record. Until there is a way to determine who is more at risk, the vaccine is the best option at protecting EVERYONE. You make it seems as if new, mandatory vaccines are constantly being added to the US vaccine schedule, but that’s not really the case.
Yeah right now we might not have a better option, but that’s because research stops with vaccines. We need better options. My children and I all suffer from autoimmunity to varying degrees. That we struggle daily to keep under control. I have no idea what their actual risk of paralysis is from polio right now, today, where we live, but I do know for sure that the vaccine will set them back a bunch. Yeah, I’d rather have them with their autoimmune diseases than paralyzed, but I’d still rather not have to make that choice.

Also, new vaccines are always being added.

Also, injecting aluminum is different from ingesting it. And we try to avoid aluminum contaminated foods.

amother
Poppy

Post Wed, Aug 10 2022, 12:47 pm
Ema of 4 wrote:
10, 20, and 40 years ago is not constantly. Also not everything on the schedule is mandatory for school. The first example that comes to mind is the flu shot. There are others though. As time goes on, some will be added and some will be removed. That doesn’t mean all need to be given.
In terms of the polio vaccine though, which is what this discussion is really about, it HAS been proven to be safe.

I wont speak for birch amother but the way I understood her point is that 70 years ago there werent that many vaccines so using polio vaccine as primary means of avoiding illness made sense then. todays days when the schedule is a lot more jampacked it doesnt make sense anymore to keep adding vaccines for every illness we come across. if its mandatory for school is irrelevant to the theory that were discussing which is that vaccines carry risks and adding more and more is not the solution. for a disease like polio which for many years wasnt an imminent threat we could have figured out something else instead of shooting everyone up.

amother
Birch

Post Wed, Aug 10 2022, 1:11 pm
amother [ Poppy ] wrote:
I wont speak for birch amother but the way I understood her point is that 70 years ago there werent that many vaccines so using polio vaccine as primary means of avoiding illness made sense then. todays days when the schedule is a lot more jampacked it doesnt make sense anymore to keep adding vaccines for every illness we come across. if its mandatory for school is irrelevant to the theory that were discussing which is that vaccines carry risks and adding more and more is not the solution. for a disease like polio which for many years wasnt an imminent threat we could have figured out something else instead of shooting everyone up.
Yes this exactly.

amother
Silver

Post Wed, Aug 10 2022, 1:12 pm
amother [ Poppy ] wrote:

It's actually not "for every illness we come across." There is a cost-benefit analysis. Vaccines take a lot of time, funding, energy, to develop. After the first bit they are not really profitable. The scientists who are developing vaccines could be developing a cure for cancer or AIDS, or maybe a vaccine against cancer or AIDS. They have no reason to develop a vaccine for something that isn't really a big deal. For instance when the first SARS came out there was talk of a vaccine but they stopped development pretty early on because it wasn't worth it. There was talk of developing a vaccine against coronaviruses (as a class of viruses, meaning common cold) but that never moved forward because:
* it would require frequent boosters and therefore ruin vaccines' good name of offering lifelong immunity (coronaviruses as a rule offer short-term natural immunity, following illness, and there was no reason to believe vaccines would offer something better)
* coronaviruses as a rule are not lethal and do not kill that many people
* the efforts put into the vaccine would far outweigh the benefits, because few people would be likely to vaccinate against the common cold, and thus not only would such a vaccine be a waste of resources, it would also harm vaccines' credibility in general
* there were, in general, many much much more important things to do with the funds, than to make a vaccine against something so benign

That is, until COVID-19 came along and suddenly there was a coronavirus worth making a vaccine for, so the efforts picked up where they had left off so many years prior (thanks to those early efforts, they were able to produce the vaccine relatively quickly).

My point: No, we don't make vaccines for every illness we come across. Some just aren't worth vaccinating against. Scientists have better things to do with their time.

amother
Hosta

Post Wed, Aug 10 2022, 1:18 pm
The system isn't perfect but it's what we have. We can't scratch the last 100 years and try again.
That doesn't mean the vaccine gives false security or is harmful. Again, imperfect but what we have right now.

#BestBubby

Post Wed, Aug 10 2022, 1:20 pm
The main issue for "anti-vaxxers" are MANDATES.

Nobody should be FORCED to vaccinate against their will.

amother
Eggplant

Post Wed, Aug 10 2022, 1:32 pm
amother [ Poppy ] wrote:
we could have figured out something else instead of shooting everyone up.

Figured something out? How? Using the scientific method? But you dont trust the very same scientific method when it tells us the vaccines are perfectly safe!

So why would you trust the other things that science figures out?

#BestBubby

Post Wed, Aug 10 2022, 1:35 pm
amother [ Eggplant ] wrote:
Figured something out? How? Using the scientific method? But you dont trust the very same scientific method when it tells us the vaccines are perfectly safe!

So why would you trust the other things that science figures out?

The Gold Standard of the Scientific Method is test against a CONTROL GROUP who
gets a PLACEBO.

The Government and Vaccine Manufacturers REFUSE to make such a study.

They also refuse to do a RETROACTIVE study comparing the Health Outcomes of
Vaccinated vs UnVaccinated.

That is why they are not trusted!

amother
Eggplant

Post Wed, Aug 10 2022, 1:44 pm
#BestBubby wrote:
The Gold Standard of the Scientific Method is test against a CONTROL GROUP who
gets a PLACEBO.

The Government and Vaccine Manufacturers REFUSE to make such a study.

They also refuse to do a RETROACTIVE study comparing the Health Outcomes of
Vaccinated vs UnVaccinated.

That is why they are not trusted!

Googling "retroactive studies" brings up tons.

Here is one with the COVID vaccine:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/p.....9674/

There are even ones that show worse outcomes for vaccinated patients in other vaccines (such as higher risk of ear infections for vaccinated children.)

The reason why they dont do placebo studies is that is unethical to expose children to dangerous diseases just to test a vaccine.

#BestBubby

Post Wed, Aug 10 2022, 1:46 pm
Are you sure the "Unvaccinated" in those studies are really Unvaccinated?

Because they made up a New Definition for UnVaccinated - including those who were VACCINATED
less than 14 days! Which is when lots of the Vaccine Injuries and Deaths occur!

amother
Candycane

Post Wed, Aug 10 2022, 1:58 pm
#BestBubby wrote:
Are you sure the "Unvaccinated" in those studies are really Unvaccinated?

Because they made up a New Definition for UnVaccinated - including those who were VACCINATED
less than 14 days! Which is when lots of the Vaccine Injuries and Deaths occur!

That's only for covid vaccine. And we are talking about the polio one here. Please don't conflate the two. The polio vaccine has been around for 50 years without major issues.
Covid is a completely different situation.

amother
Chicory

Post Wed, Aug 10 2022, 2:01 pm
I gave my 7 month old her first polio vax yesterday. My almost five year old got his fourth dose so he can start cheder.
I normally don’t like to vaccinate babies and toddlers but when there’s an outbreak like now I give that specific vax. It’s basic risk vs benefit to me. When measles was going around I gave my then one year old only the MMR.
Page 5 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5 Recent Topics